Suggestion Optimising AABB

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by XenialDan, Sep 9, 2018.

1. XenialDan

XenialDan Slime

GitHub:
    thebigsmilexd
    AABB is pretty poorly coded/usable

I coded myself classes to extend it. In example:

getSize: return a v3 with the size

minX/Y/Z: v3 min

maxX/Y/Z: v3 max

Setting min/max positions will actually set min and max positions.. currently maxY can be 10 and minY can be 40.. without any checks if it is true that minY is actually smaller

getCenter/getMiddle: v3 center

Maybe you also got ideas how to improve this (sorry for the poorly written article)

2. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    don't forget that AxisAlignedBB is heavily used in hot paths, so any change you make to already-used functionality could have widespread effects on performance.

3. XenialDan

XenialDan Slime

GitHub:
    thebigsmilexd
    Adding stuff for improving the class and mire functions will not create any impact on performance. A person once said: "Do not care about microoptimisations in already heavy projects"

Also, these things would bring more API to developers so not every plugin has to define these functions themself (which would be less performant than api functions.)

4. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    I said changes to already-used functionality. And the opposite is also true: mess with the wrong thing and it could have consequences far more costly than you know.

Adding new API methods seems reasonable, but be careful changing things that already exist.

5. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin Noobiest member in the PMMP Team

GitHub:
    sof3
    [​IMG]