1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Lack of help in simple requests

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Lorak9904, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Lorak9904

Lorak9904 Witch

Why instead of writing simple answer, you guys just move thead to Facepalm section, or delete it?! Is it so hard to write short code with max 10 letters? I know that we all should learn php, but sometimes, when we want to remind ourselfs the most simple thing, which is hard to find, we ask kindly for little help... Sadly we dont receive any helpful message... If its really not hard and long to write, why dont u do that...? Its always some valuable advice... I understand that some of peaple comes here with any situation hoping that coders will write whole plugin for them, but we are not all like that...

2. Intyre

Intyre Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    Intyre
    Yes it is hard to write working code with max 10 letters.
    No, not everyone needs to learn PHP.
    Most of the time that is because the question is not clear, the person didn't provide any code etc.... When someone want to make a plugin he/she should also put some effort in it. Most if not all of the questions can be answered by looking at the PocketMine-MP source.

It's not hard to look at the PocketMine-MP source code, why don't people do that? The source code is the best place to look for code examples.

BTW: https://forums.pmmp.io/threads/readme.16/ Nobody reads the readme!

3. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Moving to Facepalm section doesn't mean your thread is ignored, censored or banned. Usually, such questions are moved to Facepalm section similar to "Closed" questions on StackOverflow:
    upload_2017-6-5_21-2-15.png
    Particularly, those threads are usually:
    • Duplicate. Moving to Facepalm simply means future readers won't want to read it as a helpful thread. It's not locked. Helpful forum members should post a link to the thread that it duplicates. Sometimes the asker doesn't know it's a duplicate because some errors happen all the time but all the description would be very specific, and it's difficult to search them. However, it's not going to be useful for future readers since it's a duplicate, and we want to keep the Development forum index to list only high-quality or useful threads. For duplicates, which would be useless to anyone else once solved, they are moved to the Facepalm section so that nobody will try to dig them out once all the participating parties consider it as resolved.
    • Too broad. "How to make a proxy?" "How to make a CTF plugin?" "How to make antihacks?" "How to write a plugin?" Such questions are too broad. Yes, it's possible to answer your question, but it's too much. How to make a proxy? You create a UDP socket, accept client packets, parse the RakNet packets, handle the login, determine the destination server, setup a bridge between the proxy and the destination, wrap the packets through the bridge, and let the destination unwrap the packets and handle them as a new connection, passing other client data like IP address. How do you actually do these? By the time I finished explaining it, I've already finished the proxy server software. A detailed, high-quality answer is simply too long, and I even doubt if the asker would read it.
    • Too specific. Actually off-topic. In good cases, you have a minor typo somewhere, and you would even :facepalm: yourself after you find out the cause of the error, so why can't others? You are still allowed to reply to that thread, just that we don't like seeing such questions again because we don't want more people to :facepalm: you (It's not useful to anyone else!). In bad cases, you simply don't understand what code you are writing and you paste the error and let others fix it for you without understanding what gets fixed. If all that you are doing is to mix and match different code snippets, why don't we write the whole working plugin before sending it to you? We want to help, but we aren't paid, and we want to avoid boring work. Opening the tap, letting the water run over the dishes and letting them dry is a fun thing to do the first time, but who wants to wash dishes for their whole life? Fixing uglily-mixed-together code all the time is more tiring than washing dishes indeed -- at least, you won't see the dishes you washed getting dirty again immediately.
      • I'm mainly referring to syntax errors and trivial errors. It's simply so boring to look at them all day.
        [​IMG]
    • Too vague. You aren't asking us how to do something; you are asking to do something. It's unclear what exactly you are asking -- your question depends on your context a lot, and if you don't provide them, you aren't asking a development question but requesting a plugin. For example, "How to let player leave a team"? Well, how did the player join the team in the first place? Most likely you copied the join-team code, but it totally depends how you store the teams, so nobody can help you at all.
    In general, most Facepalm threads are caused by the author not understanding the code he provided because he just copied them. You may know how to "return false;", but do you even understand what they mean? Do you know what "return" means, why you need to return something or who receives the returned value, and why it is "false"? You may know you can create command handlers in other classes, but do you even know what "extends Command" or "extends PluginCommand" or "implements CommandExecutor" mean? You may know that you can move all event listeners to another class, but do you know what a class means? If you have tried to understand, refactor and rewrite something that you are trying to copy, 99% [citation needed, might have been 100%] threads in the Facepalm section should not have been posted.
    PHP:
    return true;
    Oops, exactly 10 letters (not characters/bytes!)

I hope so. Did you try to find it at all? Or did you find it at the wrong direction? If it's at the wrong direction, maybe you should rephrase your question and ask how you can find out the error instead of how this error can be fixed.
    And they usually aren't in the Facepalm section.
    citation needed.
    I take this as a typo. I assume you meant "10 lines".
    Yes, very hard. Providing no context, we have to remake your context. Providing your whole plugin, we have to understand your plugin's structure (code quality problem again -- if your plugin is just a big piece of code snippets from the forums gathered together, there's no structure to understand at all).
    This is not a code writing service. We provide knowledge, not code (otherwise go to the Requests section). Code is a good medium to elaborate your points, but not always. After seeing many people just copy the code, we realize that providing code only leads to distraction rather than comprehension.

4. Lorak9904

Lorak9904 Witch

Not 10 lines... I meant 10 characters

5. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    Yep, you need a line of exit(127); somewhere.

6. Sandertv

Sandertv Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    I agree the rate of actual helpful answers is quite low, and should definitely be improved on. We should put more effort into helping others for sure.

This does not mean that we should be robots who know exactly what you want if you write two sentences to explain your plugin request or problem. If you expect us to put effort into answering your question, you should take in mind that we respect people that actually try to fix/do it theirselves. Sure, you may create a post to ask for a quick fix of your issue, but at least give a proper description of your issue and previous attempts to fix it.

If everybody just explains better, follows the guidelines a bit more and actually gives decent answers, we could all have a better time on these forums.

jasonwynn10, Thunder33345 and SOFe like this.
  7. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    Indeed. So many people just write the code and let people copy them, without even trying to explain or to guide people writing it. They're degrading themselves as code-writing robots.

jasonwynn10 and Thunder33345 like this.
  8. Lorak9904

Lorak9904 Witch

I completely agree

jasonwynn10 likes this.
  9. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    The real reason is that everyone is far too busy with "Count to 10000". #Blame @robske_110 (Tim)

[​IMG]

10. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    Well, i estimated it will be finished in under a year! More time for the forum then!

jasonwynn10 and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.