1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Tips from server owners

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Levi, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Levi

Levi Skeleton

GitHub:
    captainleviftw
    I'm staff on a server and their PayPal account got locked because of a person who intentionally bought $50+ or so worth of ranks and then chargeback a after for (not really)unauthorized payment and the owner denied giving chargebacks. He lost the debate and got his PayPal account locked

2. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    not much you can do since it has happened
    maybe next time use a cryptocurrency like etherium so they cant charge back

3. HOST

HOST Silverfish

make sure the server admin has some sort Refund Policy

Refund Policy
    All subscription fees (including any Game Card redeemed for subscription services) and fees associated with virtual items/ Currency, if any, are payable in advance and are not refundable in whole or in part. YOU AGREE THAT (YOUR SERVER) IS NOT REQUIRED TO PROVIDE A REFUND FOR ANY REASON, AND THAT YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE MONEY BACK FOR PRE-PAID TIME AND/OR VIRTUAL ITEMS/CURRENCY WHEN AN ACCOUNT IS CLOSED, WHETHER VOLUNTARILY OR INVOLUNTARILY. Additionally, as products or services (such as Game(s) or Virtual Items) that are downloadable are deemed used promptly upon completion of your purchase, no refunds will be made for such purchases. Unless otherwise required by law or permitted by this Agreement, downloaded products, account keys purchased to activate or unlock downloaded software (including any Game(s) and/or Game Client(s)), and Virtual Items are not refundable or redeemable for any sum of money or monetary value from (YOUR SERVER) at any time.

4. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    No matter what your refund policy PayPal almost always sides with the buyer, so the best solution is always to refund ASAP, cancel the users rank or whatever, and move on.

5. corytortoise

corytortoise Skeleton

GitHub:
    corytortoise
    To add, many larger servers ban you if you chargeback, which I believe is fair. It really is too easy to abuse. I believe BuyCraft has chargeback protection, albeit not for free.

6. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Can anyone here briefly explain what chargeback policies are present? Can I ensure the player can't chargeback after some period?

7. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    If they request the chargeback from their credit card company I think it's 6 months, and for a PayPal refund request it's 2 or 4 months depending on whether they claim the payment was 'not as described' or 'unauthorized'

After >10 years of digital sales I recommend not even bothering to contest, it'll almost always go against the seller and can cost you 20$ or account closure.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  8. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    best way is just not using it TBH
    since the system is flawed to begin with

even if you have policies and what not, they generally dont care if customer cite "i didnt do it someone like a hacker did it"

9. Muqsit

Muqsit Chicken

GitHub:
    muqsit
    Having a well-written chargeback policy may reduce chargebacks, at least that's what Buycraft says.
    Cryptocurrency sounds good but not many have access to it.

If you are a big server (eg: Hypixel), you'd be facing with at least 50 chargebacks a day. You'll manually need to strike back each and give a valid reason and cooperate with the chargebacker. Failing or delaying in doing so will make the chargebacker automatically win.
    Doesn't seem like it's worth the time, or maybe it is if you're selling expensive items like gold and platinum.

Store offer packet might be a solution, also an unobtainable one.

Highly off topic: This is one of the reasons why Amazon doesn't use PayPal.

HimbeersaftLP, SOFe and Levi like this.
  10. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    or accept it via mediums that cant be charged back, maybe like gift cards?
    since yes not a lot of people or players will have access to it but generally
    i rather earn occasional 5$ than
    earning it more frequent but chargebacks
    depend if you have enough money chargeback can be negated by your profit

you could also just ALLOW refunds with consequence of losing rank access
    if they could get 100% refund they are less likely to chargeback
    (of course you might have to fill in the transaction fees which isnt peanuts in paypal but it's smaller then the chargeback fee itself)

Levi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.