1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Port affect Internet speed

Discussion in 'Help' started by Kenn Fatt, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Kenn Fatt

Kenn Fatt Slime

GitHub:
    kennfatt
    If I use random port, would it affect the traffic between client and server? I tried to check both server from Minecraft server list (in-game) it has different latency, default one has green and the other has yellow.

Thank you for answering and explaining!

2. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Yes, using port 55555 will be laggier than using port 5, because the clients need extra time to render the graphics for the extra four "5"s. To make the clients less laggy, shorten your domain name, port and server name.

Wait, you are talking about the Internet speed? Idk, perhaps port 65535 (1111111111111111) is faster than port 43690 (1010101010101010) because whatever signal transmitter doesn't need to turn on/off so frequently?

(I wanted to talk about branch prediction, but it seems that it's irrelevant when the signal is just transferred in the same bus even in an old 16-bit processor)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  3. Flavius12

Flavius12 Spider Jockey

GitHub:
    flavius12
    I think there is no difference. Latency will be the same.

4. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    For those confused by SOFe‘s post, he was using a tiny bit of Irony. (And I am underexaggerating)

TheShinPin likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.