1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

[POLL] C# or Java

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by xBeastMode, Nov 17, 2016.

?

Which is more efficient to learn: C# or Java?

Poll closed Jan 17, 2017.
  1. A) C#

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. B) Java

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. C) Brainfuck

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. D) None of the above

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tux

Tux Silverfish

GitHub:
    minecrafter
  2. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Exactly, it is talking about the Java plugin, not Java itself. I don't see how you can have a security leak running an application that is supposed to be allowed to do anything that Java itself is allowed to. We are talking about JRE as a standalone program, and if it still has security leaks, there are problems with the system allowing the JRE to do such things.

3. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

Ok, let's say I wanna write a messaging app, in Java or C#; Which would take the least time, with the app being fully completed, making less effort to develop it, and maybe without bugs?

4. ProjectInfinity

ProjectInfinity Witch

GitHub:
    projectinfinity
    Neither. That's just not how it works. You need to figure out scope of the project, is the messaging app going to work on Windows only, or multiple platforms? Etc.

5. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

Android only.

6. ProjectInfinity

ProjectInfinity Witch

GitHub:
    projectinfinity
    Then Java, alternatively you can look into making a hybrid application as something as simple as a messaging app doesn't have to be native.

7. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

Mmmm, ok, I trust you but more people voted C# and they might not know, that's why I'm not sure which to learn.

8. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    I only know C++ is native in Android. When did it become C#?
    It is also unreasonable to say which one is easier to learn as the basis before learning the other, because either wwy it is as confusing.

9. Tux

Tux Silverfish

GitHub:
    minecrafter
    You can make it work using Xamarin (and it's free, too!)

But no, C# isn't native.

10. archie426

archie426 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    archie426
    Really?! It doesn't look like it. Especially as it has its' own countdown for Java 9! (java9countdown.xyz), even though they are like 50 days behind schedule

11. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

After so much thinking I decided I'll be learning Java. It seems like a great language and it's less frustrating than C++, I'll still be learning C++ though.

12. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    I thought you started the thread asking C# not C++?

13. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

You're confused. I meant that I am learning C++ and Java is less frustrating, but I'll be learning both Java and C++. I know that I shouldn't but I will.

14. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    That's a good example to illustrate the fact that the important thing isn't which language, but knowing which tools to use for the job. Since app performance in a chat app is insignificant when you add network delays, you would probably be best off using Node.js and socket.IO. You can write a chat app really easily (http://socket.io/get-started/chat/ for example), and for the client side you could use ionic/phonegap and make yourself cross-platform chat client for Android and ios with a single codebase... If you are planning to write a huge commercial app like slack or discord for millions of users then it's a different story of course; but if your goal is 'less time... least effort' then in many cases you would be unwise to limit yourself to any particular language.

As for which to learn, as has been pointed out JAVA itself is not insecure and is currently used in 3 billion devices, so they say, so it's not going anywhere soon. Another massive point in JAVA's favour is that you can package JAVA apps for OSX (even for the appstore), Windows and Linux and once again have a single codebase.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  15. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

That's for cloud apps. I said I want I want it for Windows apps/games and Android apps/games.

16. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    JAVA is also great for desktop and mobile apps.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  17. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP

18. imYannic

imYannic Baby Zombie

@HimbeersaftLP
    In what programming language is Minecraft written?

19. archie426

archie426 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    archie426
    Java
    Well no, it is Ruby!

20. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    Java, but does it run as optimized as other non-java games? No.

Edit: Oh and btw the W10 edition was coded in C++ :p

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.