1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Pocketmine World to 3D Printer...

Discussion in 'Help' started by bunnybuilder, Nov 25, 2016.

1. bunnybuilder

bunnybuilder Creeper

GitHub:
    bunnybuilder
    Hello!

Thank you in advance for reading my help thread (or even answering it!!!!).

So I am a teacher and my ultimate goal is to have my students build structures on their ipads, on the server i made using pocketmine and then exporting the world file to a program called Mineways so I can export as an stl file for 3d printing on a makerbot.

So. I have tested out pocketmine using my mac. I have successfully set up working pocketmine world with the php7 and the most current PocketMine-MP.phar files. Some how with my limited knowledge of all this I was able to get the server running in my terminal and accessible with my own ipad using minecraft pe v0.16.2

So here is the part where I am getting tripped up...

Ideally, I would be able to just export and open the level.dat file from pocketmine into mineways but that does not work.

Mineways website says that I need to convert minecraft pe level.dat files using MCedit which is fine but when I open the level.dat file from pocketmine in MCedit it opens an empty world.

I did the best research I could but the most I can understand is that pocketmine, minecraft pe, and desktop minecraft are all different level.dat files and need to be converted. (maybe this is the problem...)

Any suggestions to getting the pocketmine level world exported and to open in mcedit would be a great help.

Thank you again in advance!
    Daniel

2. Jack Noordhuis

Jack Noordhuis Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    Change your default level type in pocketmine.yml to anvil instead of mcregion, delete the existing world and you should be good to go. Alternatively you can use one of the many world conversation tools out there to convert the pocketmine mcregion world to the anvil format.

3. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    Does Anvil format work stable? I've never used it

4. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    We are actually promoting using Anvil instead of McRegion now.

5. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    Ok, thx for telling me, but why is mcregion still default then?

6. archie426

archie426 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    archie426
    Wait, so that PR that @Minecrafter did was pointless?

7. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    not really, but 0.17 pretty much requires anvil. You can use MCR, but without world height, etc.

8. archie426

archie426 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    archie426
    Ah, ok

9. Sandertv

Sandertv Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    Won't the format be automatically converted to the anvil format? Or is that only on single player worlds?

10. robske_110 (Tim)

GitHub:
    robske110
    what?

11. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    Because pre-0.17, the mcregion format matched the MCPE network chunk format, making it nice and fast to serialize and send.
    No, because if you read the code the Anvil world provider extends the mcregion one. mcregion -> Anvil only made changes to the chunk save format, the region file format is the same.

With 0.17 supporting 256-high worlds, and with the subchunk thing Mojang have implemented, mcregion is no longer a suitable format for MCPE servers, due to it doesn't support sectioning and doesn't support building over 128. However, Anvil isn't much better due to a difference in the data ordering, which unfortunately causes some performance problems when loading worlds due to necessary conversions. We're working internally on improving this, so don't jump the gun yet. Wait till the release hits.

SOFe likes this.
  12. bunnybuilder

bunnybuilder Creeper

GitHub:
    bunnybuilder
    Thank you!

It works! Albeit a long process.

I changed the mcregion to anvil in the pocketmine.yml and followed the steps from the mineways website (see attached).

Soooooo I got everything to work like I wanted (students make structures on my server and then i can export them to be 3d printed) but now I have more questions. :D

What is the file format of the level.dat files from pocket edition and what is the file format for the level.dat files from the pc version?

My current process is kind of a pain. I have to open the pe world in mcedit, copy the blocks from the pe world, create a new pc world in mcedit, and paste the blocks in the new pc world. Is there an easier way to convert pocket edition level.dat files to pc versions of level.dat files?

-----------------------------------------------

Attached: Link to Instructions on Mineways

Converting the world in MCEdit
    1. Run MCEdit by double-clicking the file "mcedit.exe".
    2. Select "Open...".
    3. Browse to your world folder, select the file "level.dat" and click "Open".
    4. In the upper left of the MCEdit window, click on "MCEdit" to open the menu.
    5. Click on "Select All" (or use the shortcut Ctrl-A without opening the menu).
    6. Click on "MCEdit" again to close the menu.
    7. In the selection menu on the left, click on "Copy".
    8. Click "MCEdit" to open the menu.
    9. Click "Create New World".
    10. Under "Generator:", click on "Minecraft Server" and change it to "Flatland".
    11. Change the "Height" to 1.
    12. Click "Create". (Accept the message that appears with "OK").
    13. Browse to a location on your computer, name the new world and click "Save".
    14. Click "Select All" and close the menu (or press Ctrl-A).
    15. Click "Paste" in the menu on the left. Wait a bit for your world to load, then click to lock in the position.
    16. Click "Import".
    17. When the import is finished, open the MCEdit menu and click "Save" (or press Ctrl+S). Wait a bit.

Sandertv likes this.
  13. aliuly

aliuly Silverfish

GitHub:
    alejandroliu
    What is the status on LevelDB support? Wouldn't that be a better option?

14. robske_110 (Tim)

GitHub:
    robske110
    Well, the extension still doesn't work, at least to my knowledge. It would be the best option for sure, but no-one has yet really interest in trying to fix the extension...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.