1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Suggestion Plugin Developer Tag?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Magicode, Mar 27, 2017.

?

Should there be a plugin developer tag on the forums?

1. Yes

95.9%
  2. No

4.1%
  1. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    I really liked the plugin developer tag on the old forums. If users submitted a plugin, then they could get the Plugin Developer tag on the forums. Maybe even add developer profiles like on Bukkit?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    there's a difference like in the old pm net you dont actually get plugin developer by developing plugin, you get it by submitting plugin

3. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    Oh Gotcha, Edited post.

4. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    but then, how about these developers who dont submit a plugin?
    what about them?
    yes some are just newbies learning but what about these who know what they are experienced but never / dont want to submitted a plugin
    it's kinda to the point of artifical like how the verified tag went to be
    now everyone will just submit a plugin for achivement sake

5. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    Well, why dont the people who achieve the 'Plugin Developer' tag be people who have submitted a plugin to poggit, and it has gotten approved to be on the 'Release' tab. That way, it has to go through screening and such before they just get to slap on the Plugin Developer tag.

6. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    it's still the same, there's this bar but now it's higher, it's still a bar
    like the bar to get verified is just some luck + post a message on old forum, AFAIK you dont even need to be anything notable
    i personally think the developer tag should just be reserved to notable members, under the staff team discussion with the only way to get it is if the staff wish to grant it to you
    or else it would end up like verified which is no longer reserved thus pointless
    like money; if you print too many, these who hold will loose it's value eventually

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  7. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    [LIKE="Thunder33345, post: 17431, member: 15"]it's still the same, there's this bar but now it's higher, it's still a bar
    like the bar to get verified is just some luck + post a massage on old forum, AFAIK you dont even need to be anything notable
    i personally think the developer tag should just be reserved to notable members, under the staff team discussion with the only way to get it is if the staff wish to grant it to you
    or else it would end up like verified which is no longer reserved thus pointless
    like money; if you print too many, these who hold will loose it's value eventually[/LIKE]

8. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    Remember that the whole point of the verified tag isn't fame, it's to let everyone know that you where on the old forums, and that you are the same person here as you where there.

I think sometimes people look at Tags from too much of a 'fame' or 'popularity' standpoint. If you want to be popular, you shouldn't have to get a tag to show you are popular.

I was looking at the 'Plugin Developer' tag more as a way for other people who want to either request for someone to make a plugin, or seek help on how to make their own, from trusted and helpful sources. Just because we have a lot of 'Verified' people on the forums doesn't detract from it's true meaning.

Having a lot of 'Plugin Developer' tags wouldn't make it worthless, it would just mean we have a lot of good plugin developers on the forums.

9. TheDiamondYT

TheDiamondYT Zombie

GitHub:
    TheDiamondYT1
    I think it should be you have to submit at least 1 good plugin that complies with the PQRS and has at least a few upvotes (when that system comes in, if it hasnt already).

10. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    yes, but it has gotten to the point where you can get away by without even the required notable rank to get the tag, i dont know it well enough to say you could get away with just creating a new account and i hope that wont happen

using that as some sort of "trusted marker" is another way to view it, but i dont think using submitted plugins is t good way to evaluate their worthiness of begin someone ACTUALLY know how to help someone, which is totally different story of you begin able to make a plugin and you begin able to explain what this copied thing do and why you do it this way not that way
    but i like the idea of using it as a somewhat trusted, but there's other things to keep in mind: like people make mistakes sometimes, and does that invalidate anyone's place who dont have developer tag in the development section?

11. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    I agree, there has to be some sort of quality check before just getting it.

12. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Not true. The bar is whether I'm in good mood when I read your request :D

13. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    What if I don't want to submit plugins at all? What if I know much about plugin development, but I just feel hopeless about how the API emerges and I don't want to release something public?

14. TheDiamondYT

TheDiamondYT Zombie

GitHub:
    TheDiamondYT1
    Then you dont get the tag...

What if i know alot about cooking but i dont want to apply for a job at the local restaurant. Should i get offered the job? No. I have to apply for it.

15. Sandertv

Sandertv Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    I agree with both of you. Even though a lot of people will use the Developer tag as a status symbol, it would be good to know who is able to develop plugins, so other guests know who they can ask to help them with - say - making a plugin. But then again, there's the problem with what are the minimum requirements to get the tag? There should be a clear requirement, not something like 'make a good plugin', because, what is 'good'?

16. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    before we even start again i think it's required to clearly define what the tag is:
    for what, mean what, for who,
    why would i want to have a tag(reason,usage,purpose,perks) and every ambiguity we can ever have
    it would be very inefficient to just ASSUME every detail thus creating a not so completed argument
    like SOFe's respond mostly works if the "Developer" tag is more for people that know very well about PHP and plugin development
    But not used as a status like someone who submitted a plugin, then it should have been called "I submitted a plugin" flair

17. TheDiamondYT

TheDiamondYT Zombie

GitHub:
    TheDiamondYT1
    Someone should make an XenForo plugin to show under the users info (on the left side of a post) the amount of plugins they have submitted (and been accepted). This would require a poggit api.

18. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    But then people who want status would just submit a ton of good enough plugins to get accepted
    thus congrats you successfully indirectly discouraged people(not like they will simply be shaken...) who will make high quality plugins in low quantity
    and you didnt even defind anything so i can only just use "assume" again...

19. [deleted]

[deleted] Guest

I dont think this tag is a good idea. This will make 2thclassed Users

20. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    I personally see no problem adding it ONLY if it's added correctly, if not you will just create disasters

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.