1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Suggestion Old Plugin Section

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by KittyDev, Nov 13, 2017.

1. KittyDev

KittyDev Slime

GitHub:
    FreakingDev
    To be honest, I like the old plugin section in the old forums, where you can see the ratings and the comments and updates etc. So can you make it again?

2. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    [​IMG]

3. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    unlikely;
    but i would point out the old plugin section is more integrated into the forum, each releases everyone can see them etc
    and i would say old version is also more usable for an average user

4. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    That's not going to happen.... But we are open to all suggestions for improving Poggit, which btw is still in beta. The problem with the old plugin section was that people had to wait months to get approved/updated because there was no easy way for staff to check if plugins are original, or follow changes to the code. Poggit addresses this problem by integrating with github - when a plugin is updated we can now see exactly what has changed in one click, and developers get instant automatic feedback from Poggit if there are syntax errors etc. It's not as pretty because Poggit was built from scratch, so you can't expect it to look as nice as xenforo... but the upside is that you get plugins sooner, and updates can often be approved in seconds, not weeks or months.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  5. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Oops, that's missing. We'll add it.
    It's there. Scroll to the bottom; I'll fix the position in a while.
    There are a changelog and a "Switch version" button. What else would you want?
    If you want notifications: We already have the basic code for it, but we haven't added the UI yet. You can expect it "soon". But right now, you can already see the "There are new releases" message at homepage.
    And Poggit is more integrated into GitHub. Considering that GitHub is a much bigger company than XenForo, I suppose GitHub integration is better than XenForo integration anyway, right? Indeed, we lack forum threads for discussing the plugins. Blame XenForo for the lack of API documentation :D But you can always use other channels, such as setting up your own Gitter chatrooms, Discord chat channels, etc.
    It's because you log in to forums every day. Why don't you log in to Poggit every day?
    Nevertheless, it's worth considering that we setup something GitHub-related (abusing GitHub!) to broadcast releases. For example, we can have a GitHub repo where you can subscribe to different pre-created locked issues, where @poggit-bot will post issue comments when there are new releases/updates in each category/category.
    Mind elaborating?
    In addition, plugin review can be crowdsourced. Right now, 5 positive votes and the release can get approved ("Voted").

6. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    agreed, but i want to say most of our member uses forum more over github(also people who just want to download plugins probably have no clue of github anyways then a source of plugins)[citation needed]
    therefore it would benefit everyone to have it in the same place; say more exposure[citation needed] for plugins; even if it's just redirect people to poggit for download, it would be helpful
    tho what about hacking up a xenforo plugin that makes a post on each new plugin(s)?

7. KittyDev

KittyDev Slime

GitHub:
    FreakingDev
    Oh i see the comments :D but it's only my suggestion tho.

8. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    We simply don't have such a large user base yet, in addition to some UI problems that fail to attract users to review.

9. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    why not just shameless plug it here then?
    users get to checkout+review the stuff that's there

10. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    We are still planning to improve this part. Poggit Orphanage is not a good long-term solution.

11. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    https://github.com/poggit-orphanage/office
    Also, all people are welcome to help with the orphanage if they want to. As long as changes are clearly documented, we are open to community contribution.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.