1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Official authentication plugin

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Jack Noordhuis, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Jack Noordhuis

Jack Noordhuis Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    Maybe someone should waste their time highlighting that you just wasted your time by writing a post that makes hardly any sense and the parts that do are just plain stupid.

Why don't you go ask the people that got LBSG and leets databases?

I think you should seriously read over what you post before you hit that post reply button or you might end up with people not trusting you, especially when you publicly say stupid stuff like suggesting people use an ancient hashing algorithm that you can crack with a simple google search.

Yet another pointless negative comment ;)

Daltontastic likes this.
  2. Primus

Primus Zombie Pigman

I just don't get it :D

Read slowly Jack. It's just a game. How many actual attempts of cracking these databases are at all? Okay, let's assume that someone did crack large network and got password hashes. If it's md5, yea it can be cracked up pretty easily and for this example the Hacker Steve got Alex plain password. What's next? If Alex didn't follow basic precaution, it's his fault. So really that password is worth nothing. I don't know anyone yet who wants to steal a favorite game profile from 7 year old kid.

You were so mean to mean. So much negativity. Let me send something back: "I'm more handsome than You are". That means negative and negative is positive. Such a bright thread. I hope that you get that Lego brick very safe, because some very very mad old bastard might want to steal it.

Edit:
    First of all, how did I miss this? Hence the name 'even' it doesn't matter how strong your hash is. Even md5 can do hashing.

@SOFe has strong argument of why you shouldn't be worried about hash as there is many other ways the password could be compromised.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  3. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    I have the same opinion...

Primus likes this.
  4. Primus

Primus Zombie Pigman

Damnn yeah, I felt so lonely at one point :D

5. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    I don't know anyone who uses a serios password on a mcpe server, most use their name xD

Primus likes this.
  6. Primus

Primus Zombie Pigman

Getting a bit off-topic: I have my own algorithm of how I create passwords which is easy to remember.
    This is not my algorithm, but an example of how I create passwords
    Code:
    ChrisPassword@atPMMP-Forums
    ChrisPIN@atTELE2

7. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    yeah, but let's face it... how many people actually use different passwords for everything? not very many at all. It's like saying any service doesn't need to be careful with its users' data, because if the data can then be used to access other accounts "it's their own fault". That doesn't really cut it.

Take that into account and also the fact that anyone with some basic tools can decode the text packets used to send those passwords to the server because PocketMine doesn't support encrypted connections. PocketMine is a cesspool of security vulnerabilities.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and right now PocketMine is that weak link.

8. Jack Noordhuis

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    It doesn't matter how you save the data, it's entirely up you and I honestly don't care how you do it. If you keep your database and API endpoints secure then you won't have any problems with your database being leaked which would make your hashing algorithm irrelevant. However, I'd suggest you choose a strong hashing algorithm just in case, nobody plans to be hacked. You just need to remember people are trusting you with their data, so be smart about it.

9. Jack Noordhuis

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    Bad idea to use the same sort of format with so many common characters. If one password of your passwords gets leaked a brute force on one of your other passwords just got sped up.

Primus and dktapps like this.
  10. Primus

Primus Zombie Pigman

Agree, but kinda better than using equal passwords everywhere. Of course I use a bit more advanced way to create unique and not-so-close-to-other passwords.

11. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    An interesting phenomenon is that humans always try to lock their doors well to prevent burglars, neglecting the fact that they lose much more money in their everyday life than the expected value (probability) lost by burgling, and that a professional burglar can break into your home in at least a hundred ways.
    There is a lot more meaningful to the human race to talk about, such as how to educate people so that they are responsible for the databases they manage. Sounds distant, but other things are really worthless in the long term.
    Believe me or not, I use my bank password, because nobody knows who I am in real life anyway, much less my bank account.
    Just in case the server owner is malicious in the first place... What should I do?
    Like this?
    Code:
    $ php -r '$mypass = $argv[1];
    $ip = $argv[2];
    for($i=0;$i<strlen($ip);$i+=strlen($mypass)){
      for($j=0;$j<strlen($mypass);$j++){ if($i * strlen($mypass) + $j >= strlen($ip)) break 2;
        $ip{$i * strlen($mypass) + $j} = $mypass{$j};
      }
    }
    echo base64_encode($ip);' 123456 example.net
    MTIzNDU2ZS5uZXQ=

Primus likes this.
  12. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    Bad for performance: yes
    Bad for security: Unlikely

13. Daltontastic

Daltontastic Spider Jockey

So if your server database is leaked it's the user's fault? lol whatever you say.

14. robske_110 (Tim)

GitHub:
    robske110
    *face.palm*

15. the dood

the dood Spider

I find that password apps like 1Password are great tools for managing 100s of passwords and suggesting new highly-complex passwords.
    I've got no financial (or other) interest in 1password, but I'll just throw it out there.

and of course SOFe already posted my favorite xkcd comic on the matter.

16. robske_110 (Tim)

GitHub:
    robske110
    One password isn't that related to this thread...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.