1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Nukkit (please don't explode)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CupidonSauce173, Apr 4, 2019.

1. CupidonSauce173

CupidonSauce173 Zombie

GitHub:
    cupidonsauce173
    Why people here hate Nukkit, I mean, it been for months that I use pmmp, I tried Nukkit, it has more stuff in it but ye, pmmp was more stable..I just try to understand why Nukkit is that "bad" for you..
    Because its written in java ?
    Because they used to use pmmp code ?
    Because there is less people using Nukkit?

2. jasonwynn10

jasonwynn10 Moderator Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    jasonwynn10
    Nukkit is a rival community. There's not really much to it, but the instability plays a part in why it's bad for servers.

EdwardHamHam likes this.
  3. CupidonSauce173

CupidonSauce173 Zombie

GitHub:
    cupidonsauce173
    So basically if it was more stable, it wouldn't be as ashamed as it is right now?

4. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    When we talk about Nukkit, make sure which version we are talking about. There is the original Nukkit, then there is NukkitX, then there is a rewrite of Nukkit. Quoting @dktapps's point, there is no such thing as "rewrite" - you either start a new project or reuse the old code and update it.

I don't know much about the "new" Nukkit, so let's look at the original Nukkit. It basically translated a lot of code from PHP into Java in a way that doesn't make sense. This is like translating the above sentence from Chinese into English directly, which gives "About new Nukkit I not know much, so not if look look original Nukkit. It basically use one not make sense method to take PHP code translate to Java". This is still comprehensible, but it's very hard to understand. The same happens with poorly translated PHP -> Java code. There is no point to translate from PHP into Java if you're still using the bad things in PHP.

5. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Our primary goal is to fix the legacy problems left by shoghicp before adding anything new. For example, I'm more interested in improving the plugin API than adding new gameplay features (because I don't play the game :D).

6. CupidonSauce173

CupidonSauce173 Zombie

GitHub:
    cupidonsauce173
    I'm talking about NukkitX, sorry I forgot to specify.

7. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    Personally I'm on the fence about NukkitX, but I have said multiple times to several people involved that they should change the name, unless they want to inherit the "copy pasta meme" legacy that the original Nukkit is known for (ha ha, "original" get it?). As @SOFe wrote, I don't believe there's such thing as a rewrite - there are poor copies and then there are new projects entirely.

As far as the original Nukkit goes... It's a meme. It's the shining example of why the programming language a program is written in doesn't matter one bit if the code is crap. They translated PM into Java verbatim, and the results were just as crap as PM itself. Then they translated a bunch of stuff from poor quality derivatives of PM, and ... I'll let you guess what happened.

With this said, none of this makes it "bad" for you and you should make your own judgements. There's a lot of toxicity and tribalism in the PM community around PM derivatives.
    People seem not to like it when others copy their work.

AlicanCopur, jasonwynn10 and Muqsit like this.
  8. CupidonSauce173

CupidonSauce173 Zombie

GitHub:
    cupidonsauce173
    Thank you for that reply.
    For the last sentence, I just toughtt about Altay.

9. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    Many people take and give nothing back. They do it for various reasons (fame and arrogance being two common factors), and such aren't looked kindly upon by the community.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.