1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Newbie asking for a bit of guidance to help my children.

Discussion in 'Help' started by MeZmeriZe, Oct 29, 2017.

1. MeZmeriZe

MeZmeriZe Spider

Hi everyone,

I have three children, all of whom are fanatical about minecraft PE. 2 of them have ipad pro's and one has an Android tablet and all of them can join each others games and have connected to others on the net.

I have a server here setup for Docker and KVM so I thought.. I know, I'll set them up with a minecraft PE server so they don't have to worry about the hosting tablet closing the connection when they are sharing a world.

To that end I've downloaded docker PE server images from half a dozen places and set them up one at a time and tried to connect to it with one of the ipads.. The end result is always a client version mismatch where the client isn't new enough for the server. (the mismatch message being in the log of the server which shows the connection attempt, gives the error and disconnects) But these are the latest minecraft PE clients from the playstore and apple appstore. (1.2.3 from memory.)

I didn't realise it was going to be difficult to get the minecraft server working. Consequently I've disapointed my girls who keep expect it to be fixed when they get here but if there is a way to set the compatibility level in the config I've not found or understood it.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how I can set up a docker minecraft PE for my daughters to share that will work with the clients they have? I have a feeling I've missed something obvious, but I've no idea what it is.

This is what is running now:
    [root@hyperv ~]# docker ps -a
    CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
    fe7760ca03fb pvpin/pmmp:latest "./start.sh --no-w..." 12 days ago Up 28 seconds 0.0.0.0:19132->19132/tcp, 0.0.0.0:19132->19132/udp

which was created like this:
    docker run -d -p 19132:19132 -p 19132:19132/udp --name pmmp pvpin/pmmp:latest

I saw another recent post asking a similiar question but not via docker so I'm wondering if there is a docker image using
    https://get.pmmp.io | bash -s -

or do I need to roll my own?

many thanks

Frank
    Perth WA.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  2. MeZmeriZe

MeZmeriZe Spider

never mind.. I think I have it sussed.. (correct me if I'm wrong. I found the dockerfile and removed -v development off the run command. will see if that does the trick.

3. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    I don’t think there is a maintained docker image for pmmp. It is pretty easy to install manually though. Just execute any of these two comands in a new folder:
    Code:
    curl -sL https://get.pmmp.io | bash -s -
    wget -q -O - https://get.pmmp.io | bash -s -

And then run ./start.sh
    If everything works a setup wizard should go through some settings, and after that the server should start.

Awzaw likes this.
  4. MeZmeriZe

MeZmeriZe Spider

Isn't this the dockerfile here? https://github.com/PVPIN/pmmp-docker

I'm not a docker expert but can usually get by.. If I start the build the dockerfile (after removing the -v development and then start the image with: docker run -d -p 19132:19132 -p 19132:19132/udp --name pmmp pmmp:latest

It works great and I can connect to it from my ipad. Now I wanted to make it persistant.
    I thought a bind mount would be the way to go..so I tried mapping /opt/pmmp to my docker mount diretory ($HOME/docker/pmmp/opt/pmmp) after filling it with the files and sub dirs that directory should have:

banned-ips.txt bin Dockerfile LICENSE players PocketMine-MP.phar resource_packs server.properties white-list.txt
    banned-players.txt CONTRIBUTING.md download-DevTools.sh ops.txt plugins pocketmine.yml server.log start.sh worlds

But when I start the container it exits instantly.. So I tried mapping the sub directories and not /opt/pmmp itself..

docker run -d -p 19132:19132 -p 19132:19132/udp \
    -v $HOME/docker/pmmp/opt/pmmp/players:/opt/pmmp/players \
    -v $HOME/docker/pmmp/opt/pmmp/worlds:/opt/pmmp/worlds \
    -v $HOME/docker/pmmp/opt/pmmp/resource_packs:/opt/pmmp/resource_packs \
    -v $HOME/docker/pmmp/opt/pmmp/plugins:/opt/pmmp/plugins \
    --name pmmp pmmp:latest

It completes without error but when you check it with ps -a it again says it instantly exited. (exited (0))
    Does anyone here know why it won't start when it's mounting volumes? I have an nginx proxy docker image starting exactly the same way and that works perfectly so I'm at a bit of a loss why this one isn't.

would love some pointers if anyone has any.

regards

Frank

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  5. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    uhhh
    i am sorry to inform you but i dont think that's maintained by us, so we cant guarantee support
    only repos by pmmp is official and pocketmine-mp is legacy
    might just be easier to install it manually
    also try running "version" command
    i suspect it's caused by outdated server

6. MeZmeriZe

MeZmeriZe Spider

Thanks for the tips.. the docker file does much the same thing as you have suggested. and I got volumes mixed up with mounts so I changed it to make the whole /opt/pmmp a volume of the container and it's perfect.

cheers

Frank

7. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    That docker file is nothing to do with PMMP, and is over 3 months old, so I'm not sure how you are connecting to it with recent versions of MCBE... What does it report when you type 'version' on console?

Docker is an amazing tool, but it's massive overkill for setting up a pocketmine server. It should only takes a few minutes to set up with the commands robske_110 posted.

8. Anarchochris

Anarchochris Silverfish

I realize that I am pretty late to the party here, but I ran into pretty much the exact same situation as @MeZmeriZe.

Only, I was really not impressed with all of the various docker images that I could find.

So, I rolled my own: https://hub.docker.com/r/circleeh/pocketmine/

This image does a few things differently than virtually all of the other ones -- it does not rely on the installer script, but instead uses the official php docker image with missing extensions and executes the PocketMine-MP.phar directly using an s6 overlay for process monitoring and execution.

Currently, "circleeh/pocketmine:latest" has the Alpha release 1.7dev-516, and "circleeh/pocketmine:development" has the Development build 1.7dev-634. I probably will only role a Development build once in a while, but I will try hard to keep the "latest" tags to whatever is the most recent "stable" release from the PMMP developers.

Feedback and bugs are welcome, and I have repo for the project on GitLab: https://gitlab.com/circle-eh/docker/docker-pocketmine/

QuiverlyRivalry likes this.
  9. SkyZone

SkyZone Slime

Are youstill maintaining your docker image?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.