1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Nebzz: a fork of pmmp which violates LGPL

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by DaFatAlien, Aug 8, 2017.

1. DaFatAlien

DaFatAlien Creeper

You guys might remember PeratX, the Genisys developer. Recently he's making a server core called Nebzz and selling it online.
    Of course the source code of it is closed, or PeratX can't earn money from the core. He thinks pmmp is licenced under LGPL, so he can "combine" Nebzz with pmmp, with Nebzz's source code closed, without violating LGPL. But I've asked some Nebzz customers, it's just a modified version of pmmp, not a plugin.
    LGPL is an addition of GPL right? If you modify any software that's licenced under LGPL you still need to release its source code according to GPL terms. PeratX didn't recognise that, and instead, he justifies that he's "providing a service, not releasing software", so he's not violating LGPL. This isn't true. He's modifying pmmp by himself and distributing it, not tailoring or optimizing it for individual customer's demand. This is still a LGPL violation.
    What do you guys think about Nebzz? Do you think it infringes LGPL?

Link to Nebzz: hidden by the A-Team

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
    Muqsit likes this.
  2. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    Yes, I would say this does indeed violate the LGPL.

LGPL permits linking to other closed source projects, it does not permit closed source modifications of the project itself.

jasonwynn10 likes this.
  3. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    So.... course of action?
    anyone got a lawyer and bunch of disposable income??
    or anyone got a disposable income to make them follow it by releasing it open sourced?
    i thought genisys states it used to do such things before it got open sourced in the readme.md or somewhere else

jojoe77777 likes this.
  4. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
    We could just tell everyone that considers buying it that what they're getting is available for free. I mean, that would be the cheapest course of action.

5. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    yes, and it's the same person who started Genisys as is doing this. Guess why I'm not surprised.

jasonwynn10 and EdwardHamHam like this.
  6. DaFatAlien

DaFatAlien Creeper

Won't work unfortunately... In China GPL and LGPL are powerless. Did you know Netease? They modified Forge and hadn't disclosed the modified code until people complained about it. Even the gov is violating GPL. They're always trying to create an OS which is "fully developed by themselves", but such OS is a joke because it's still Linux-based, and the kernel's code was never released...
    PeratX has updated Nebzz description. He's not afraid of any course of action because of the reason above.

7. DaFatAlien

DaFatAlien Creeper

Really hope so! But PeratX said Nebzz is optimized PocketMine-MP with great performance. If he's making zero improvement, users would know and tell other people not to buy it, then we don't need to care about this anymore. Obviously it's not.

8. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    How about we contact that selling site to ban him?

9. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
    That too. Depending on which site it is.

10. DaFatAlien

DaFatAlien Creeper

PeratX is an admin of that site. I don't think it's gonna work.

SOFe likes this.
  11. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    that's a chinese site, if their operators dont care,
    you can try DMCA their webhost if you really care
    i doubt their webhost will care
    you can DMCA the webhost's ISP
    same goes i doubt they care

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  12. Electric

Electric Spider

GitHub:
    XElectricX
    Maybe make a post titled "DO NOT BUY NEBZZ" and hope it gets to the top when someone makes a Google search regarding it? o_O

13. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Why do we care? It's a paid software, so almost no people will use it, and we already have enough spoons to care about. (∞+1=∞)

14. FENGberd

FENGberd Creeper

GitHub:
    fengberd
    Hello,
    I'm one of the managers of ZXDA Platform,I'm sorry about this,the nebzz project(https://pl.zxda.net/plugins/624.html) will no longer be sold and we're contacting PeratX for more details.If PeratX can prove that this project is legit,he would be allowed to continue sell this server software.
    If you can provide more evidence about this project is illegal please contact me: [email protected],I'll forward your evidence to PeratX and ask for a explanation.

Attached Files:

15. PeratX

PeratX Creeper

GitHub:
    peratx
    We, the Nebzz Team, have made the PMMP which we based on open source. Check Github NebzzTeam's account. We will not violate the open source license. The patch technology we are using is developed by us and it does not contain the pmmp source, so we can keep it close source.

We haven't release the project yet. So we don't need to release the source code of pmmp which we modified. It is now still in alpha (internal test) status. This project has NEVER violates the LGPL license.

Now we have released our sources, not because we violates the license, just because you guys wish we do that.

As a member of ZXDA Platform Management Team, we have decided to make this project back online a few hours later.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    jasonwynn10 likes this.
  16. FENGberd

FENGberd Creeper

GitHub:
    fengberd
    zzx and jasonwynn10 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.