1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

MCPE v0.16.1

Discussion in 'Help' started by KAGsundaram, Nov 14, 2016.

1. PocketKiller

PocketKiller Slime

GitHub:
    iPocket
    The commands issue seems to be incomplete packets sent, where the packet that has the commands which will be displayed when typing /...
    I'm not sure.

2. Sandertv

Sandertv Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    I'm sure someone from the PM team will/has already fix this issue :)

Google likes this.
  3. KAGsundaram

KAGsundaram Silverfish

Some reflections... ...(of a man who has been where the PM team now is)...

Information is good.
    Complaints are annoying.
    So, would me reporting on the issue tracker be useful information, or be seen as an annoying complaint?

It certainly isn't meant as a complaint; after all, I deliberately loaded the most cutting edge alpha-not-released-yet version I could find, so I knew to expect crashes.

Over all, I think that it is information. It only happens after the system has been running for more than an hour, and in a development cycle, software loads under test rarely are allowed to go that long before rebooting. Perhaps the development team has not yet seen this behavior of Build 73.

99leonchang likes this.
  4. KAGsundaram

KAGsundaram Silverfish

Ok, now I have a GitHub account.

But...

A glance into the Jenkins shows that the PM team is now up to build 76, "successful".

I shall download 76 and see how it behaves before reporting anything formally.

5. KAGsundaram

KAGsundaram Silverfish

So far so good.

I shall let 76 run for an hour or two and then I will know.

6. KAGsundaram

KAGsundaram Silverfish

After four hours, Build 76 did the same thing. So now it is Issue #104, "PHP", "Unconfirmed".

7. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    I think in most cases with PM, as long as your bug reports are valid, the PMMP team is very responsive and understanding. The main annoying thing on the Github issues page is that people will post bugs that are their own mistake, or aren't valid. As long as your bugs are supported by good information, you should have your bug fixed soon without problem. :)

For the problem with crashing, I used The Auto Server Restart plugin (ASR) so that my server restarted every 2 hours to prevent crashing.

L3ice likes this.
  8. PocketKiller

PocketKiller Slime

GitHub:
    iPocket
    There is a github issue on a github issues repo that has a poll (started 2014) to be able to delete issues or not.

HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  9. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    It is very difficult to reproduce this one issue.

Magicode likes this.
  10. KAGsundaram

KAGsundaram Silverfish

@SOFe, I see at GitHub (PMMP Issue #104) that @dktapps has reproduced the problem.
    I agree with you that it is difficult to reproduce. The time needed, and the lack of visible evidence of the moment of break, is quite frustrating.

@Magicode, ASR sounds like a very interesting and useful workaround.

While others pursue other software issues which are quicker to evidence themselves, I am content to be the test technician on this issue, following suggestions and reporting results until the root problem is found and resolved.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Magicode likes this.
  11. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    The root problem is stdin breaking after some time. You can fix that by trying to detect when it breaks, and reopening it then.

12. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
  13. robske_110 (Tim)

GitHub:
    robske110
    what? that is like an awful idea
    And, in addition, my experience is that stdin can break as fast as 10 minutes

Also, you can fix this with reopening stdin

14. Sandertv

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    Actually it isn't a bad idea. Restarting the server every now and then prevents memory leaks (chunks sometimes get reset) and clears the lag of the server.

Magicode likes this.
  15. KAGsundaram

KAGsundaram Silverfish

Mathew 24:43

16. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    I find it's always best to give quotes from very old books in context; they are so easily misinterpreted.

As for the problem you are having, do you have an expected stable uptime for a PM server, and is it longer than the plugins you'll be using, and Windows?! Seriously though, I think you've done enough to help staff with this and can safely leave the problem with them now while you discover everything PM has to offer.

17. robske_110 (Tim)

GitHub:
    robske110
    It doesn't prevent memory leak and should not clear lag out of the server. Please define 'lag'.

HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  18. Sandertv

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    I have heard of many people (and have been able to reproduce it myself) that several chunks in the server get reset to an earlier time when having the server online for a very long time without restarts, being some kind of memory leak. Restarting usually does in fact clear lag, as it clears things such as entities, it unloads loaded worlds/chunks and more.

KAGsundaram likes this.
  19. robske_110 (Tim)

GitHub:
    robske110
    It does, but it should not. I never heard from chunks miraculously resetting back to earlier state. I doubt that happening. And that would not indicate a memory leak, it would indicate a huge mistake in the chunk management. Restarting just removes caches and entities, both things can be done during runtime. 'Turn the machine off and on again' is the worst practise you can ever find, it's just because someone made mess. I know it helps. But it shouldn't. Please do not see restarting as a normal thing to do. Restarting should only be needed for a software update. Auto-Restarting can be used as a temporary fix, but cannot be considered as a solution.

KAGsundaram and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  20. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    But it is a bad idea for a developer to depend on restarting. Accumulating lag and memory leak over time is always an issue. Have you ever seen the need to punctually restart a mysql database? Therefore, it is still an issue even if restarting seems to "fix" it.

KAGsundaram and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.