1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Question MCPE Protocol

Discussion in 'Questions about This Forum' started by MarfGamer, Jan 11, 2017.

?

Which do you think would be better for MCPE multiplayer?

1. TCP

70.6%
  2. RakNet (UDP)

29.4%
  1. MarfGamer

MarfGamer Creeper

I've heard from other people that the MCPE protocol will one day be updated to the TCP protocol, is this true? If so, I would really like that :D (But if it isn't I'm cool with that too)

Also, sorry if this is posted in the wrong section or too short to be considered a thread. This is my first one on this forum and the first I've posted in a long time. The last one I posted was https://forums.pocketmine.net/threads/how-to-make-pocketmine-mp-plugins-series-alpha_1-4.4483/ (a long time ago!)

2. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

TCP would be awesome and it help dicrease the lag.

3. Dog2puppy

Dog2puppy Slime

GitHub:
    colesquared
    I thought the server was TCP but RCON was UDP?

4. KnownUnown

KnownUnown Spider Jockey Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    knownunown
    It is true that a switch to TCP is planned. However, this has a number of tradeoffs, as TCP is a reliable protocol and prioritizes packet arrival. On the other hand, UDP doesn't care if your packets get to the client or not, which makes it useful for games. However, the current MCPE protocol utilizing RakNet does not take advantage of this whatsoever, sending all (even non-critical) packets as reliable and ordered.

Both MCPE and RCON communicate with UDP at the moment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.