1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Leet steals plugins

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by NickTehUnicorn, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thouv

Thouv Slime

GitHub:
    adeynes
    I don't see why they would have to charge the plugin creator if there's a license that states they're allowed to use the plugin. Plus, as many have stated, they're not charging for the plugin (because the plugin is usually open-source), they're charging for the resources it takes for their servers to run that extra plugin

2. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Suppose you have a plugin that will consume a lot of CPU, then my argument is valid. Though, this is probably not the case most of the time.

Our case is actually similar to the case where "selling a diamond sword to your players" is disallowed in the EULA (not worded like this in the EULA, but this is what it means). Talking from the moral perspective, we just hate such selling that only requires you to run a command (/give @donator diamond_sword) and no actual cost.

HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  3. 64FF00

64FF00 Shog Chips

you quit around a year ago? damn that's sad man i thought you still work at leet

4. 64FF00

64FF00 Shog Chips

i'm not saying leet is bad but just remember

if you don't want others to 'steal' your plugins

M A K E I T P R I V A T E
    D O N O T S H A R E T H E S O U R C E C O D E

MCPEChicken_ and InspectorGadget like this.
  5. Ad5001

Ad5001 Silverfish

GitHub:
    ad5001
    Or just get a real license. The main issue here is people unaware of licensing. Before the Function case (Yes, I'm the one who coded the BoxOfDevs Functions plugin), I wasn't interested in legal at all. Why would I have been ? I didn't understood me as most peoples. Now I use the Berne Convention (All right reserved, github defaults to this when no LICENSE is specified) to keep away my work to finish like Functions.

Also, I've seen alot of people saying leet was successful because they have an app.
    I've seen quite a few apps to host MCPE servers either on the App Store or Google Play. But people always takes the first result.

In the end, we should make some better tutorials about licensing and making people aware about it so that they wouldn't fall into the unknowness of licensing. Open Source was an utopy broken by companies lobbying.

6. 64FF00

64FF00 Shog Chips

it's a waste of time just don't let anyone see your secret codes or make a real license like he said

come join us we only support p r i v a t e c o d e s

NickTehUnicorn likes this.
  7. NickTehUnicorn

NickTehUnicorn Zombie

GitHub:
    unickorn
    Cause adminfun (1199 credits) takes more memory than NPCs (I think 700 credits or smth).

Obviously they charge for the plugin.

MCPEChicken_ and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  8. Muqsit

Muqsit Chicken

GitHub:
    muqsit
    Many here are complaining about the BoxOfDevs license break that LEET did, which if true was an actual crime. But there are some here who are complaining about them profiting off their publicly released and poorly licensed projects. Take it this way - if they're profiting off one of YOUR public plugins, isn't it just what you were expecting to happen? Why get triggered on the fact that a company is profiting off your public project? If I were to host a server and use on of your publicly available plugins, you wouldn't feel much triggered, would you?

The only argument one could have is license breaking, which the author of the project should be responsible for. If you could care less about licenses and register your plugin under a poor license, you might as well expect people to modify it to their needs and use it.
    If you really care about ownership to such a level that you don't want anyone to modify your project's author(s) and redistribute it, you should think of using something like MIT license or create a custom license like BoxOfDevs/CommandUsage/LICENSE.
    By default, your project is licensed under WTFPL license.

All that aside, wonder how the PocketMine Team is handling all those hosting companies profiting off every single pocketmine feature (motd, player slots, worlds (WTF IS THIS SHIT FROM 2 YEARS AGO?), number of plugins, etct). PocketMine should already work on a backdoor just for trolling purposes :rolleyes:

9. Ad5001

Ad5001 Silverfish

GitHub:
    ad5001
    The problem is the moral rights. Newbies do expect private servers to use the plugins (why would they code them otherwise?). We don't except them to sell it. And licensing is a barrier mostly negliged.
    Most peole clicks 'I have read and agreed the terms' because it's borring. Here, most people code for fun and don't want to bother with the borring legal part, and fall into the open source issue.
    If newbies were more informed about this, companies wouldn't make profit out of *morally wrong* copy-pasted-sold Open Sources projects.

I completly agree the fact that servers hosters *needs* money to keep running, but there are *a lot* of other way to make the user pay than taking a free thing and sell it. And I know that, because of Open Source, it's *legally* right but it's *morally* wrong.

About the Functions thing, I had to take the evidence. GNU has been company lobbied and so allows them to profit out of it.

On the utopy of Open Source, if you make a *fork* of a free thing, add features into it* and sell it, It'd moraly right. You added features, it's ok. But when you copy-paste-sell, that's not morally right, thought you can't do anything about it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  10. Thouv

Thouv Slime

GitHub:
    adeynes
    They can't charge for the plugin. That's like saying, as SOFe said, that when you reward a player with a diamond sword when they donate, you're charging for the diamond sword, which clearly you aren't. And no, I'm quite positive NPC isn't 700 credits.
    EDIT Just checked, NPC is 1499 credits

11. ProjectInfinity

ProjectInfinity Witch

GitHub:
    projectinfinity
    And pocketvote is cheap cause I want the users. Haha. They are also allowed to sell it as we have an agreement. They pay maintenance costs and in return are allowed to sell it.

It's an example of how business should be done when my license doesn't allow commercial use without an agreement.

HimbeersaftLP, SOFe and Ad5001 like this.
  12. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    How would Mozart feel if a person got rich by selling a book listing all his sonatas, but this person can't even play his pieces?
    (FYI: Poverty was one of the main factors leading to Mozart's death)

Frankly, I don't understand why printed music still get so many sales in the digital era today.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  13. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    InspectorGadget
    Well said!

14. HBIDamian

HBIDamian HBIDamian Staff Member

GitHub:
    HBIDamian
    My plugin (ServerLoveMCPE) is a simple text based plugin with a fair amount of if statements. But it hardly uses any resources. And yet, it’s 999 credits for my plugin. Near £2.00.
    So I believe it is not just “paying for resources” to run the server. There is a lot more than that.

15. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
  16. basprohop

basprohop Silverfish

This is how open source dies
    Dont do this.

Rather put thought into your License that your releasing your source code under

17. 64FF00

64FF00 Shog Chips

:shoghi:

18. xZeroMCPE

xZeroMCPE Witch

GitHub:
    xZeroMCPE
    Idiots gonna violate the license(s) anyway.

If leet was violating one of my plugin licenses, I myself would call them out to court. It's not worth the effort; although that will teach them not to mess with you (me), and they'll definitely know not to mess with you again. I'll also make sure I'll make money while in the process. *at the point where they'd file for bankruptcy*

But again,

I don't really care about what anyone does with my plugin(s) as of now. My main point is that someone gotta show some force! and do something about it, but hey; there will always be a (few) idiot that will still violate it :facepalm:

Cade5794 and NickTehUnicorn like this.
  19. HBIDamian

HBIDamian HBIDamian Staff Member

GitHub:
    HBIDamian
    Hi **wave emoji**. I’m Deibo. The guy crazy enough to confront LEET.

Anyone has any issues that they wish for me to pass on, DM me on the forum, or my twitter, @TheDeibo.
    All issues from any DMs will be from a anonymous user, so it’s protecting you. Pretty much I will get the full on blast. I’m pretty much speaking for all you guys

20. Spajk

Spajk Spider

GitHub:
    spajk7
    Most of our plugins are rewritten and use only the small amount of original code. The practice of LEET taking plugins has stopped several months ago. Most of the plugins we "stole" are old versions of said plugins which were broken multiple times. Each time a plugin breaks we fix and improve it. For example, the ServerLove plugin mentioned in this topic has been almost completely rewritten.

If you are a developer of one of the plugins we use and you have a problem with it, please contact me via PM, we are open to all kinds of discussion.

MCPEChicken_, MC ATECH and HBIDamian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.