1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Leet steals plugins

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by NickTehUnicorn, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HBIDamian

HBIDamian HBIDamian Staff Member

GitHub:
    HBIDamian
    I have spoken to leet before about including my own plugin.

If you have an issue with them hosting your plugin, then you contact them. They will surly take it away. As regards to paying to add a certain plugin (such as my own disgraceful ServerLoveMCPE) they do need the money to keep leet running. As much as most of the PMMP community dislikes LEET, it’s here and it’s active.
    I know leet is bad, annoying, scammy, overrated and expensive, they make their own money.
    At the end of the day, it’s just another Minecraft server host.
    (Granted, it’s a poorly thought out and developed host, but without them, we possibly won’t have half the amount of users on POcketMine-MP | PMMP community.)
    It’s all about money, at the end of the day. Money can corrupt people, and businesses.

2. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    And 99% of this half don't even know what PocketMine is :)

3. xXSirButterXx

xXSirButterXx Witch

GitHub:
    xxsirbutterxx
    Plus leet servers spam the server lists and all you see is ip.leet.cc in almost every page of server list. Which can be annoying.

HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  4. basprohop

basprohop Silverfish

Thats free advertising for them

Thunder33345 likes this.
  5. Thouv

Thouv Slime

GitHub:
    adeynes
    LEET didn't remove the BoxOfDevs plugins because the license on the version of the plugin they were using allowed them to commercially sell the plugin, and they never violated any part of the license.
    Also, whether you like LEET and its pricing or not really doesn't have much to do with how respectful they are of licenses on plugins. You're all developers, so of course you're not going to like LEET. But think about it from the point of view of someone who has no clue what PocketMine is, what PHP is, what a VPS is, how to host a server, or how code even looks. These people aren't gonna set up a VPS and host a server themselves, they'd rather use LEET. Also, one of the main reasons people use LEET is because people can donate to your server, so in the end you don't have to spend your money.
    And yes, of course LEET is in it for the money, but that's the point of any and all businesses. You should stop hating on them and instead appreciate what they've done; that is developing an application that can create servers for you and helping thousands of people get a server.

6. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
    Are you sure that you don't work for Leet? Because it sounds like you definitely might.

7. Thouv

Thouv Slime

GitHub:
    adeynes
    I don't work for them, and I often openly criticize them on the LEET forums. There are a lot of things I don't like about them, but I don't think it's right to criticize them for just being what they are

8. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    that seems fair and whatnot, but i feel like getting one of these lesser rip off multicraft hosts like VG/NB etc would be way better,
    yes they still rips you off, but at least they allow you to do all you content on "your" server, they even have a plugin manager panel for people who have absolutely no concept of FTP
    the good thing about leet is they use apps rather then webpages tho i dont see the biggest differences out of both

HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  9. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    TL;DR, what is happening on this thread: Someone complains about leet.cc doing something commercial that certain people disdain or dislike, and then everyone started flooding this thread with their own relevant/irrelevant complaints about leet.cc -- and in the name of heaven you can justify it in the end. https://twitter.com/PEMapModder/status/877340250766360576

10. Thouv

Thouv Slime

GitHub:
    adeynes
    But tbh just don't use LEET if you don't like them, no need to complain about them if they haven't done anything to harm you directly!

11. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    You're still straying away from the topic. We're talking about the plugins and the developers behind the plugins, and as a plugin developer I have never owned or joined a single leet.cc server.

12. Sandertv

Sandertv Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    You know, it's sadly no longer about sharing things in this community for most people. Most people only care about taking things, whatever they can. I guess Leet is just another one of these examples. I mean, sure, it's quite lame they just take your plugin and give you no credit whatsoever, but if you don't want that, why did you put in a license that allows it and even made it open source at all? There's nobodoy who forced you to do exactly that.

People from Leet aren't thieves. They're simply a couple of the many who mostly take things, without giving back a lot. I don't blame them. You can say what you want, but they're no thieves. They operate legally, and as far as I've seen there's no actual illegal action they've done by putting a plugin for sale.

I'm not a supporter of Leet, instead, I don't like the services of Leet. However, it's best to just leave behind you. There's nothing you can do about Leet putting up your plugins for sale, except for giving it a restrictive license from the start and/or not making it open source at all. Even if Leet did something illegal, I wish you luck fighting in the court. Leet got all the resources they need, you likely don't. Just let it be.

13. Thouv

Thouv Slime

GitHub:
    adeynes
    Ok, then let me get back on the topic, sorry about that, I got distracted =P
    LEET uses other people's plugins just like any PocketMine server uses other people's plugin. However, servers usually make some custom plugins. But guess what? So does LEET! They don't have time to make every single plugin, sometimes they just need to satisfy their users and make money. You're gonna say that they could hire more developers, but all the good developers hate them, so it's pretty hard for them

14. basprohop

basprohop Silverfish

Your arguments suck b@!!$.
    And secondly, LEET is not a PocketMine server it's a server hosting provider. So you can't just compare the two as they are equal.

15. NickTehUnicorn

NickTehUnicorn Zombie

GitHub:
    unickorn
    Okay I don't think I can end this argument, but I'll give it a shot.

As we all know, leet does steal plugins. However, the plugins have no license saying "You can't steal me", so what they are doing is not illegal at all.
    It just irritates us because they are actually making a lot of money with it (and as I said before, legally) and they haven't spent time nor effort on it.

The bad thing after all is people don't learn new stuff. To be honest, I had no idea what a VPS, PocketMine, PHP is before googling "how to make a minecraft pe server for free". Guess what the first thing to pop up was. LEET! The first 7 days is free so that closes all the ways to learn PocketMine and PHP.

No one is bothered to search another way to do it. Making a server is paid and there's no way to do it without leet. That's what kids think.

As I mentioned before, my friend who spent over $150 on leet, is just 12.

To summarize,
    Leet is making money legally, but they don't deserve it. We can't stop them.

Sorry for that! But I think you get what I'm trying to say.

16. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    Legally correct and morally correct and ethically correct is not the same thing
    yes they are doing things legally right and justified
    but depends on who you ask, that may not be ethically or morally right/justified/correct
    but lets face it there's nothing we can do here
    TLDR: we are like an empire with no police to enforce the laws onto people so we can only hope they did the morally right thing
    we are like planning how to enforce something we cant even enforce, like how do we even fight them legally even if you have a restrictive license?
    i guess i can describe what we are doing as "纸上谈兵" : trying to plan out something that we will never act upon

17. ProjectInfinity

ProjectInfinity Witch

GitHub:
    projectinfinity
    Ex-lead developer at LEET here, I quit around a year ago as I had it with how poorly organized it is but that's not why I'm posting here.

For a while I was recreating popular plugins to avoid legal troubles, but as time went by my tasks turned into fixing other people's (often crappy) plugins in a super gray zone and sometimes downright illegal way. I'm not entirely sure how the situation is right now, but I honestly doubt it has improved since I left. Some plugins were definitely added that did not have a license attached to them which would default to copyrighted.

To play devil's advocate, LEET is not in the wrong in terms of the "BoxOfDevs" thing, they had licensed their plugin using a open source license which did not prohibit monetization and as a result LEET did so and when they found out they changed their license. LEET has since not updated those plugins and as far as I know are maintaining forks on their end of the previously licensed version.

The best thing you can do if you are 100% certain they are using your plugin (that is NOT licensed using a license that allows commercial use) is to send a DMCA as LEET is US based.

18. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    Technically, they aren't "selling" plugins, because it requires you to pay to install a plugin on their server, not to download a plugin. This is just like selling VPSs that run Linux -- you aren't selling Linux, you are just selling the hardware that runs it.

It is just my personal value that disdains trying to profit from something that did not require your own creation (100% logistic and 0% creation). This is how the capitalist world works, and I am simply naively while sincerely hoping for a change in the scarcity-free era of the Internet. (By scarcity-free, I'm referring to the almost-zero cost of online redistribution)

19. ProjectInfinity

ProjectInfinity Witch

GitHub:
    projectinfinity
    You could try to argue this, but it wouldn't hold up in court. At the end of the day your server has the exact same resources assigned to it no matter what plugins you have purchased access to. It's literally a flag in the database that gets flipped and boom next restart you have an additional phar.

Besides unless your license allows it, commercial use is not allowed without an agreement.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with leet but plugins are directly put behind paywalls and you purchase each separately. If you simply paid for a server that came with a list of plugins (licenses still matter though) that you could freely install the legal issues would mostly go away.

HimbeersaftLP and SOFe like this.
  20. HBIDamian

HBIDamian HBIDamian Staff Member

GitHub:
    HBIDamian
    Although they aren’t “selling” plugins like you say, you basically have to pay to use them.

Now that would be okay IF they pay a fair amount to the plugin creators too.
    If they don’t, they should have an agreement with the creator to be able to do it. If not, then it’s morally wrong.

So, to the plugin creator, when I said “morally wrong”, there isn’t much the average plugin creator can do about this. You could possibly argue with them, but at the end of the day, businesses always win.

I’m trying to argue the case but admittedly, I have got a weak case. But my case must be strong enough for them to not reply.
    5 days ago I messaged them with the complaints, (including complains from certain individuals that shall remain anonymous) and I’m still awaiting a reply.

I will continue to argue the case until I have no shots left. :) (pointless, but I’m bored, so I will do something useful :D)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.