1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Is there same amount of diamonds and stone in minecraft world?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Primus, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Primus

Primus Zombie Pigman

I'm speaking mathematically.

Infinite flat terrain. 10 blocks tall. For each position, first block at the bottom is diamond ore, the rest above is stone.

Are diamonds and stone equal in count?

This is essentially the same question as ∞ + 1 > ∞. But infinity is not subject to our usual arithmetics. Or is it? I found this more of philosophical type of question. In your place, I'd simply scroll past this shower thought.

I haven't made any thread in decades, so here's my contribution to never ending and slowly dying archive of our beloved community.

IvanCraft623 and minijaham like this.
  2. minijaham

minijaham Skeleton

GitHub:
    minijaham
    I don't usually swear, and I won't. However, honestly, *swear word* sake, why would you post this...it's hurting my brain really badly...

So this is what I came up with. Let's think about it this way,
    ∞ / ∞ = 1, right?
    Then we apply the same thing to this, ∞ + 1 > ∞.

This will result in
    (∞/∞) + (1/∞) > ∞/∞
    1 + 0 > 1
    1 > 1

This is a false statement since 1 and 1 is the same number.

So what I think is that there is the same number of diamonds and stones in the world.

Sike that was full of bullsh*t i came up with and after all that thinking, I ended up with 0 braincell haha thank you primus!

Primus likes this.
  3. Primus

Primus Zombie Pigman

You're always welcome :D

4. minijaham

minijaham Skeleton

GitHub:
    minijaham
    Wait, no

1 Layer of neverending diamond = ∞
    1 Layer of neverending stone = ∞

x = ∞

There are 9 layers of stone

x < 9x

im done primus I'm never talking to you again

5. Primus

Primus Zombie Pigman

I never claimed to have the answer nor did I provide one :D

Infinity is not a number but rather a concept of something that has no bounds. It doesn't behave like a number either. If you're adding one to infinity, it is still an infinity. Same goes for multiplication which basically is an addition. All the headache comes from misunderstanding, it's role in math. I'm not an expert in maths, so all of this is debatable.

In conclusion: 9x = x = ∞; x = 9x

same results if x = 0;

x = 9x

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    minijaham likes this.
  6. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    Considering we're talking about a Minecraft world, it can't be truly infinite for technical reasons so if we use a real Minecraft world then there is definitely more stone

EdwardHamHam likes this.
  7. Primus

Primus Zombie Pigman

I knew this would come up at some point. And because of that I started this thread with this sentence
    And you're right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.