1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

how to make .phar files unreadable?

Discussion in 'Development' started by r7vmc, Jul 30, 2017.

1. skilastic

skilastic Silverfish

Thanks thunder, I know it’s called obfuscation. My auto correct seemed to change it so I said encryption instead. Encryption was definitely the wrong word to use. It’s like every day I come across another plugin eather encrypted with fopo or rarely by something else. I know how to decode fopo. It’s not that easy but with practice it gets easier.

2. XenialDan

XenialDan Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    thebigsmilexd
    Simple solution: You can not. Most obfusocators (especially web ones) have reverting ones. Also, they are made to be readable by PHP, and PHP could simply dump the actual clean code from memory.

Advanced solution: Write your own PHP library to deobfusocate your own obfusing methods (or actually just to make PHP being able to read them) and hope that it does not get reverse-engineered, load PHP with that dll and the obfusocated plugin, and be safe.

3. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    while true most of us here cant reverse engineer an extension, you still have to deal with some dude that will reverse engineer it and make a decoder for it
    again obfuscation is just raising the level+effort to unobfuscate it
    one can argue that pharing is an obfuscation tactic itself
    and using base64 is also obfuscating, it's just easily undone
    so we stash multiple of them to make it tiring to unbase64 something for 100times
    and using extension is the same, but now you let the extension to handle the obfuscation and execution

dont even forget how un-user friendly to have to install it to run your plugin
    which i doubt it possible for most hosting providers

HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  4. skilastic

skilastic Silverfish

Maybe is wasn’t a good idea to post someone else’s work as php format In The first place. I’ll just delete my comment. And never get involved in forums again.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  5. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    not really, i do it frequently when people ask me to deobfuscate random code they find
    because it's not secure to run code you dont know what they are doing
    you can be allowing a virus to run that deletes all your server and everything
    but again everyone have their own moral stand on this

6. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Now we come to the ultimate question: why do we care? Why do we want to hide the source code? If you simply want to avoid people selling your plugin under their name, you can't anyway, because you can't stop them from modifying plugin.yml anyway. Using a wrapper, all occurrences of your name can be replaced as well.

7. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    i dont know, there's a few clues doe:
    credit, one developer want to show he owns XYZ
    code, one developer dont want anyone to see the inner secret working which one may want to keep secret(say having that cool effect in your plugin as a selling factor without having it stolen(which always fails))
    malicious code, one developer have some dangerous code that can grant developer say a backdoor of some sort, but he dosent want it to be discovered so he hid it under obfuscation

8. skilastic

skilastic Silverfish

that’s the biggest reason why I learned how to decode fopo. I always check the source code before loading it on my server. Also I have never found a obfuscated plugin/Phar that I found dangerous. I’m good at reading code, but I cannot code php and/or Java. Never had the time to learn.

9. skilastic

skilastic Silverfish

Most people I know in the pmmp community use fopo to gain credit. modifying the plugin.yml file is not the solution. Fopo obfuscaters like to send a logger that says who it’s by.

$This->getLogger()->notice(“plugin by blah blah blah. Or something”);

10. skilastic

skilastic Silverfish

Some like to troll people too. They take someone else’s work and remove all credit and then fopo it and claim it as theirs.

11. r7vmc

r7vmc Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    r7vmc
    Yea thanks but this thread is pretty old and I have found a solution

12. skilastic

skilastic Silverfish

Ok, I hope at least some information helped.

This is the first time I ever replied on a forum tbh.

13. armagadon159753

armagadon159753 Zombie

GitHub:
    armagadon159753
    Anyway in the following 2 cases it will be possible to deofuscate

14. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    The best and only way to obfuscate your code is to make a really nice plugin with a really complicated structure that it's impossible to copy. If your plugin isn't that complicated, there isn't really something worth so much effort copying.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.