1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

How not to get bored of programming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by XenialDan, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XenialDan

XenialDan Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    thebigsmilexd
    Ladies and Gentlemen, a simple, short summary how not to get completely bored of coding, a project and things around it.

- Take breaks. Breaks are essential to get new ideas and clear your thoughts. Without enough breaks, you'll get a "meltdown", as i'd call it. You feel burned out and unmotivated.

- Do not let yourself be under pressure. With that i mean both time and social interaction. If people request too much (or in too short time) to handle from you, you are likely to get stressed out and not being able to think clear.

- Do not forget to eat, drink and sleep. For real, this happened to me. It will ruin your life for quite a long time if you are not able to get back into a normal sleeping&eating rhythm. You will partly feel hungry but not able to swallow anything, feel exhausted, unmotivated and even agressive.

- Go outside. I personally lost contact to almost all friends and my family because i basically locked myself in my coding room, living in my own little world. This can even create phobias like claustrophobia and sociophobia.

- Start a different project of it is not going forward.. BUT! DO NOT START TOO MANY! Too many projects will put a pressure on you due to needing to focus on too many things at once. Also, too many projects at once consume alot more time! Finish a project, start a new one, but never go over a total of 5.

- Play. Don't just test what you've coded, take a chill and just play the game (in case of Minecraft/PocketMine development). This gives you a relaxed (or even a totally frustrated) experience in between coding, and may cause new ideas to flow into your head.

- Take notes. But better take them at one place. Loosing notes with good ideas can be ultra-frustrating, especially with a bad memory or when being stressed out

- Read the readme, code by others, documentations, books, manga etc. Nothing to add to this

And for last:
    - Only code, if you actually enjoy it

Greetings, Dan.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. Destroyer57

Destroyer57 Zombie

Do not code something without eating at the same time as it requires much power and endurance for your brain to work properly Haha

jasonwynn10 likes this.
  3. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    After I wrote a detailed plan for my program, I lost the motivation to turn the plan into code because it was already too detailed. Help please.

4. XenialDan

XenialDan Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    thebigsmilexd
    A common feel.

5. MalakasPlayzMCPE

MalakasPlayzMCPE Zombie Pigman

Finally unbanned! Welcome back. You need to be creative in order to not get bored of programming. You need to have ideas, something that is being ruined while coding. This means you have an idea, you code it and you are slowly stopping being creative. This is what internet life has. I agree with coding and then playing a game but this would make you get bored of coding and start gaming, which would make you a simple player.

6. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    My problem is that I am too creative and I have too many ideas that I don't know which one to implement first and I end up playing 2048 instead of coding anything.

7. MalakasPlayzMCPE

Continue developing on PocketMine, lol. You have to find which one is more unique and start coding.

8. XenialDan

XenialDan Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    thebigsmilexd
    Cough have not been banned, simply left the community cough - because PM bored and exhausted me

9. MalakasPlayzMCPE

I thought you had like 4 accounts banned here. My fault.

10. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    pls don't hijack the thread.

Another thing I would add to this list - don't work for free. If you aren't enjoying it and you aren't getting paid for it, then take a walk. You have zero obligations to the community so don't let entitled assholes drag you down.

RyanShaw and XenialDan like this.
  11. MalakasPlayzMCPE

You work for free on PocketMine since "PocketMine-MP is not a Mojang-approved software, nor is it associated with Mojang."
    I would like to know why please. It is very hard to develop such a program and with nothing to take back.

12. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    I have my own addition to this list, but most programmers in this world (including @dktapps -- we have debated about this so many times) won't agree with me:
    If it is just something trivial that you already know how to do it and have done so for many times, of course you should find a library to do it. If there is no existing library, make one so that you don't have to do it in the future.
    If it is something too hard, of course you should find a library to do it too. The learning curve will be steep, and something so complicated will take up all your time and you will be so desperate that you start suspecting whether you should really be a programmer.

But if it is just about your level, try writing it yourself the first time! Your own implementation won't be the best, but trying to DIY would be a very fun coding experience. You don't need to be hurried if you don't have a set objective, and you can turn this into your objective! A while ago I was intending to write XialotEcon (an economy plugin), but I ended up spending the last few months on libkinetic (and even rewrote it at least 3 times) because I found it was more interesting and meaningful. Maybe there are already existing user interface frameworks, but if you find something interesting, don't ruin this fun project idea by looking for libraries. If you have a lot of time in hand, write it yourself and this can become your product too.
    And remember, modularize it. Turn big components into libraries so that you can reuse them in the future and show it off to others.

XenialDan and corytortoise like this.
  13. dktapps

GitHub:
    dktapps
    I don't work for the community. PM is a project I develop in my free time because I enjoy developing it and the challenges I deal with.

14. MalakasPlayzMCPE

You reply on the issues within seconds. You should have a lot of free time, lucky you.

15. XenialDan

XenialDan Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    thebigsmilexd
    I may actually say the opposite. Getting paid for developing a project mostly puts you on pressure with time schedules, and quickly needed bug fixes.

It was one of the main reasons i stopped

dktapps and RyanShaw like this.
  16. dktapps

GitHub:
    dktapps
    at least you're getting paid to put up with the bullshit in those cases

XenialDan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.