1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

How many players can this vps run

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Levi, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Levi

Levi Skeleton

GitHub:
    captainleviftw
  2. Eduardo

Eduardo Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    xBeastMode
    From my experience with ovh I can say from 10-15 plugins and 30-60 players.

Levi likes this.
  3. Angel

Angel Spider Jockey

GitHub:
    aimjel
    Way more.

RyanShaw and EdwardHamHam like this.
  4. Eduardo

Eduardo Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    xBeastMode
    With 2 cores at 2.4 GHz?

5. Pocketart

Pocketart Spider

from experience, it can support up to 80 players online at the same time. but that was 2014 so idk how performance is now. and that is if you could find so many players. playerbase seems dead now compared to a couple years ago

6. SkyZone

SkyZone Slime

2 vCores. vCores are much worse than real dedicated cores.
    I had an VPS mit 6 vCores and 8 GB RAM and it did lag.
    Now i have an KVM with 2 dedicated Cores and 8 GB RAM and there is no lag anymore.

7. Levi

Levi Skeleton

GitHub:
    captainleviftw
    where did you buy

8. SkyZone

SkyZone Slime

9. Levi

Levi Skeleton

GitHub:
    captainleviftw
  10. SkyZone

SkyZone Slime

Its much better. But you should buy the 1 month variant, because else you will get into an subscription

11. Levi

Levi Skeleton

GitHub:
    captainleviftw
    Is there a machine located in the USA?

12. SkyZone

SkyZone Slime

No, they are in Frankfurt :/

13. Aericio

Aericio Slime

GitHub:
    aericio
    Just use https://www.digitalocean.com/ or https://www.vultr.com/. Could also go with https://www.linode.com/, all three are pretty close together.

I've used OVH for around a year, and my experience with them was decent. I was using their $3.49/month plan (now gone), and I always had random unexpected downtimes. Granted, it was just a $3.49/month plan, so I guess that might be expected. I was able to hold ~35 players on a Factions server without too much lag. Though, it also did depend on what my players were doing. (Blowing up stuff? Running around, loading a million chunks?)
    note: I just looked at their website again, and it seems like the VPS packages changed. Should be around the same though, with lowest tier being 1 vCore.

DigitalOcean (currently what I am using) was a much better experience than OVH, and I didn't have any downtimes. I can't say too much about it, though, since my servers are dead. Naturally, that means PocketMine runs smoothly.

Never used Vultr and Linode, but heard they were just as good as DigitalOcean. All three company's $5/month plan have the same specs, but there are some differences. Check out this review: https://joshtronic.com/2018/01/22/vps-showdown-january-2018-digitalocean-linode-vultr/ (Linode shows 20 SSD GB space on the review, but on their website, it seems that they've bumped it up to 25 GB SSD.)

You could go with the German one that SkyZone linked, but I believe you should just go with an US-based company since (I'm assuming) most of your players would be in the US.

EdwardHamHam likes this.
  14. Aericio

Aericio Slime

GitHub:
    aericio
    > How many players can it run 一 on a server with many things going on

The way you asked your question is really vague. It depends on what kind of server you are hosting, and what might be going on. "with many things going on" doesn't explain anything.
    May be common sense but, here's a tip: You shouldn't buy a VPS that's too strong for what you need because in that case, you are just overpaying. OVH, DO, Vultr, and Linode all allow you to scale your VPS if needed.

EdwardHamHam and corytortoise like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.