1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Hello, PMMP! Plugins, maybe?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by deotern, Nov 15, 2016.

1. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    That means no "Please watch this 2 minute ad before playing SG!"

applqpak likes this.
  2. Daltontastic

Daltontastic Spider Jockey

I guess don't quote me but I recall reading somewhere that you can advertise in-game as long as it doesn't negatively effect gameplay.

HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  3. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    Ads in minecraft? You have ideas...
    But simply use maps :) you can display quite nice images

4. Daltontastic

There is plugins on Minecraft PC that pay you for showing ads in your chat.

5. Tux

Tux Silverfish

GitHub:
    minecrafter
    It creates enough of a barrier for the causal person, and regardless of that, paid plugins are easily cracked open. If you're going to get a plugin for free, at least have it be an unadulterated version that they can buy if they like it.

6. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    I know, but nobody has discovered how it works in MCPE yet I think, gotta start a new thread for that

applqpak likes this.
  7. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    Everyone forgot this post now?

8. Daltontastic

Anyhow ads in MCPE are essentially useless since you can't click hyperlinks in chat.

9. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    I disagree with your unfair comparison of only part of closed source plugins (if there are really publicly sold plugins, they may indeed have higher quality), but I totally agree with your last point: Most paid developers are writing messy code, just to get the job done quicker. What's more, it is to make it such that it seems the job get done. Neglect the performance. Neglect the code sustainability. Just make it work well for a week, get the money and run and go to another server and develop another piece of rubbish.
    And the old server owner will still think that your plugin is excellent because it is too messy "sophisticated" for his new plugin developer to understand.
    What you are talking about only works for server owners. They don't work for plugin developers.
    In other words, "make their sense of conscience feel better and no need to hide behind their beds whenever they hear sirens of police cars"?

10. Jack Noordhuis

Jack Noordhuis Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    So you're making the assumption that all closed source plugins are worse quality than open source simply because you don't make your own clean and you've seen a few plugins thrown together in a matter of hours?

I for one take extra time and make sure my code is the best it can be before calling a closed source plugin 'finished' and handing it over to the customer. It doesn't take much to make sure your code is high quality, you just need to put aside your laziness and make it happen.

11. Daltontastic

I miss the days when everybody coded for fun. When we all worked together to reach a common goal. Now we are only in it for the $$$

We attribute PocketMine's inactivity to a lack of updates, but I think this has a lot to do with it.

12. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    Sorry. We should have started discussion about ads in another thread. The topic becomes talking about ads that provide profit to server owners, not plugin developers. Please start another thread to talk about this.

13. Jack Noordhuis

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    I still make open source plugins, I've even helped you with some of your own projects.

I do paid work because some people like knowing they have a unique plugin with code no one else will ever have and I get something back for putting in the time and effort to do it for them.

Getting paid also allows me to pay for development tools that other people have spent their time and effort on instead of pirating them like many other people do.

14. Daltontastic

Yes I wasn't shading you. I'm just saying this community used to be a bunch of enthusiasts, but now it's a bunch of entrepreneurs.

15. Jack Noordhuis

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    I don't get why people here are so up against closed source, paid for plugins. It seems to me like some people feel like their code isn't good enough to spend money on and others seem like people don't buy plugins from them because they know it isn't worth the money.

However, I can only really speak for myself and I for one put in more effort and time into my work when someone is paying me for it. I like to think putting as much effort into my work as possible pays itself off in a way, even with open source.

I urge anyone that is a solid open source only supporter to just chill out and think about it from other people's perspectives and not only from their own as both open and closed source have their own benefits.

16. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    We are most worried that all the elites go towards selling plugins, and eventually there would be no open-source high-quality plugins left.

HimbeersaftLP and Daltontastic like this.
  17. Jack Noordhuis

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    Plausible argument but I for one still and plan on continuing open source development along side closed source. It's always fun to see others critique and experiment with your code.

18. Daltontastic

Yes you're the exception you're always making my ideas into plugins. I'm referring to people who make plugins that would be useful to the whole community but keep it private. For example [unmentioned person] created a working Buycraft plugin that used the new API and refused to share it (that's stupid it's not like it's something only they would use), or at the time they fixed teleporting between servers but decided they wouldn't share that either. If people aren't gonna contribute code maybe they should create their own server client and leave PocketMine altogether.

19. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    I feel like way more flame wars are coming up over the weekend. I have been watching these arguments and there is really no reason to argue on these forums. It would probably help all of the people who are here to seek reasonable, helpful answers. I, for one, can't even tell what this thread is about anymore. If these things don't put out soon one of you is probably going to have to have a chat with the Staff.

So just take it down a notch, or argue in Personal Messages so nobody else has to see them.

Dog2puppy likes this.
  20. archie426

archie426 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    archie426
    Oh, sorry, I apologise

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.