1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Hello, PMMP! Plugins, maybe?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by deotern, Nov 15, 2016.

1. HittmanA

HittmanA Zombie

GitHub:
    hittmana
    What do you guys think about me making a plugin manager? I would have an online registry and you could upload your plugins to it then on your server run a command like /download <plugin>. It would make it really easy to manage plugins. You could also do /upload <plugin directory> and it would auto convert to .phar then upload it to the registry. Tell me what you think or offer suggestions.

HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  2. archie426

archie426 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    archie426
    Please do this in another thread in the Off-topic section, thanks

applqpak likes this.
  3. Dog2puppy

Dog2puppy Slime

GitHub:
    colesquared
    How strict are you planning on Poggit submission rules to be?

About the argument about Open Source vs. Closed Source, why not open source it from day 1? Let's say I wanna see the code of <insert name here>. Oh no, <insert name here> doesn't have a github. I'll go to pmt.mcpe.me and decompile the .phar so I get the source because I really want to see how <insert name here> does <insert feature here>.

4. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    Good idea!
    Nah, not good in my opinion

applqpak likes this.
  5. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

I love open source. My plugins will never be closed source.

6. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    Same here <3 (<-- Shows my love to Open Source)

Dog2puppy and applqpak like this.
  7. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    +1

Dog2puppy, applqpak and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  8. Jack Noordhuis

Jack Noordhuis Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    There's a point at which you will realise not everything you make has to be open source. I for one love open source but I also contribute to the closed source community and earn a bit of money for doing so.

Closed source plugins are usually higher quality than open source but that's what you'd expect if you were paying someone.

Awzaw, SOFe and applqpak like this.
  9. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

I realized it was a stupid idea to make paid plugins, it is better to take donations and you might actually receive more money than from a paid plugin. #OpenSourceFTW

applqpak and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  10. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    LOL

applqpak likes this.
  11. Tux

Tux Silverfish

GitHub:
    minecrafter
    I prefer a hybrid approach that lets you have your cake and eat it too. The plugin download is paid, but the source code is completely open source. This is allowed by many open source licenses.

applqpak likes this.
  12. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

I'm making a better version of PlugsWork by @deot called "Xeilegy" that will have free and paid plans, however the plugin is free and open source. See? Now you have a different way of making profit off of plugins without selling them. :p

applqpak and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  13. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    well that depends
    that thingy you are working on is a client server setup
    unlike most

also spogit aproach is valid
    giving lite version for free and pro for paid

but paid plugins are vurnable to source getting leaked or even nulled

14. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

True.

applqpak likes this.
  15. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    I think it belongs to the same topic. Actually this is a service that a plugin list should provide.
    Not very strict. This is a draft:
    upload_2016-11-21_13-6-34.png
    In some situations, saying this is as offensive as saying "whites are usually better than blacks". Even if you say "usually" it is still as bad.
    Sad thing is that not every plugin will receive donations. Only major plugins will.
    You want more advertisement for FolderPluginLoader or phar builders like pmt.mcpe.me or Poggit-CI? Building PocketMine plugins is too simple for this process to happen. You actually don't even need it if you have FolderPluginLoader.

16. Jack Noordhuis

Jack Noordhuis Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    I make lot's of money from doing closed source development, easily more than the average open source project would get in donations. You need to have the right connections and you also need to prove you can write good, clean code that works how your customers expect it to.

17. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Question: While you can sell ads in apps and webpages, why can't you sell ads in plugins? Is it possible to overcome this limitation?

18. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    Like: You account registration is in progress! Drink a <insert drink name here> in the meantime!

EdwardHamHam, applqpak and SOFe like this.
  19. Daltontastic

Daltontastic Spider Jockey

You can have paid advertisements in-game as long as they aren't disruptive.

20. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    I don't share the opinion 'Closed source plugins ade usually higher quality'. My only closed source plugins are either unfinished or just too bad quality to release them. And most servers have closed source (minigame) plugins that are just totally awful written. I was in a dev team of a server that had 300+ players and they had amazing minigames. I then saw all the code behind that and it were literally either one class plugins, or they passed data between classes (NOT threads) using a file on the disk. And you can imagine the rest of the code. And they paid for that plugin. Sure, it works but it's performance was just awful. I did some plugins for them, but evntually left because the server drowned in players and finally had to be shut down. Also, most paid devs are writing messy code, just to get the job done quicker.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.