1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Hello, PMMP! Plugins, maybe?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by deotern, Nov 15, 2016.

1. ProjectInfinity

ProjectInfinity Witch

GitHub:
    projectinfinity
    This only proves that you are unable to see it from the standpoint of someone who is no longer interested in being an ideologist. I love open source, but I would never dictate that something should be open source or have to disclose closed source just because reversing whatever packaging or obfuscation is easy or possible.

It's a poor solution that only caters to one group and one group only.

2. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Fine... Let me fix pmt.mcpe.me unphar and advertise it more... (And you know that my words never mean what it seems to mean)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  3. ProjectInfinity

ProjectInfinity Witch

GitHub:
    projectinfinity
    Huh? What does that site have to do with being able to upload already packed PHARs to this website?...

4. Kenner

Kenner Spider Jockey

GitHub:
    Enzoomet
    Oh hey, you're here. lol

5. archie426

archie426 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    archie426
    Please do not go off topic
    I know, I can't talk....

HimbeersaftLP and SOFe like this.
  6. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    I have been considering what @ProjectInfinity has mentioned. I agree with his viewpoint, but it is very complicated to allow plugins without a backing GitHub repo.
    What if developers who want to submit phars directly are required to put their phar file on a GitHub repo under their name?

7. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    Still a bit weird, but i think that's ok.

8. Jack Noordhuis

Jack Noordhuis Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    Something like that would be good, maybe make people self-host the download link and/or the plugins description, name, etc if they don't use github?

9. 99leonchang

99leonchang Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    99leonchang
    Self hosting will likely decentralize what is supposed to be a centralized solution so that might not work as well in practice. And in all likeliness, the self-hosted download links will be on spammy ad-filled hosting sites...

applqpak, SOFe and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  10. archie426

archie426 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    archie426
    So like a link to M********* or Jenkins?

applqpak likes this.
  11. archie426

archie426 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    archie426
    Not if we could somehow use Jenkins.
    Maybe, people submit (or whatever you wanna call it) plugins to poggit. Then, it appears on PMMP's Jenkins. Perhaps in like a folder. Or would that go against hosting?

12. Jack Noordhuis

Jack Noordhuis Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    I'd be happy to help in getting somewhere to host plugins if there is a problem people potentially using ad filled sites.

Wouldn't matter where they hosted it, you could setup a filter to block certain sites and then the plugin reviewers can still check the links manually.

applqpak likes this.
  13. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    Definitely not. In that way we can't review it properly.
    Why pmmp's Jenkins instead of saving on poggit directly? What's different?
    Actually Jenkins is a CI, and Poggit is also partially a CI. Poggit is basically doing Jenkins' work. Why do we still need Jenkins here?
    Poggit is already a place to host plugins. Why do you want to use somewhere else? It wouldn't get any better than on the site itself.

applqpak and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  14. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    'If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got'.

The point some people seem to be missing here is that a system that involves reviewing direct phar uploads has already showed its servere limitations, and is totally impractical with the number of submissions/updates received.

If someone provides us with a free service to upload, builds, analyse, review, rate and release our plugins... let's do our best to make their life easier, not insist that they change their entire model because some devs want one extra step for people to access the code, because that is the bottom line here.

Having said that, for the minority of devs who are uncompromising about this, maybe PMMP could accept direct phar submissions, and... when the already overworked and unpaid staff find time to review the code... pass them to poggit for inclusion in the release section as 'phar only.

As a disclaimer, I have no problem at all with proprietary code, actually it pays most of my bills, but here we are talking about PHP plugins for PM... If you want your code private, don't release the plugin!

15. ProjectInfinity

ProjectInfinity Witch

GitHub:
    projectinfinity
    Contradictory statement. You can't apply "no problem at all" to everything propriety BUT plugins for PocketMine cause you do seem to have a problem with it.

Direct PHAR submission is optimal and if you want to alienate people like me then okay, we'll take our projects elsewhere. Even for open source projects I would not use Poggit simply because I already use Jenkins and like previously mentioned I only trust myself with packing the PHARs for various reasons.

Poggit is great for amateurs who have no wish to control the flow of development, building and deployment. For the rest of us it's just a limiting factor.

applqpak and falk like this.
  16. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    Well, in that case, if you insist that you want to keep your source code from illiterates who can't Google and find a tool to convert the phar into source code... Who wants a "Convert phar to zip" button next to the download phar button?

Awzaw, applqpak and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  17. ProjectInfinity

ProjectInfinity Witch

GitHub:
    projectinfinity
    So because it's easy to unpack, that means screw everyone who doesn't adhere to your beliefs or vision, right?

The decision is easy then, keep Poggit and alienate users who does not share your centralised open-source ideological standpoint. This thread did good, I'm no longer excited for this community because it's going to be an ideological mess.

applqpak likes this.
  18. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    It's not ideology. It is your ideological belief that less noobs will copy your plugins just because they need to Google and find a tool to unphar.

19. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    I have no problem with propriety plugins for Pocketmine either, and I've been very happy to contribute to some devs work by paying for their plugins. Also I fully accept that you have every right to declare your code private, and even to try to keep the source as well hidden as possible, however pointless that may be. Considering these are PM plugins with all source code readily visible by anyone, such an attitude simply comes across as being deliberately obtuse.

Maybe if devs such as yourself want PM / Poggit to accept phar submissions/updates directly, forcing the team to spend extra time checking code/diffs etc without the possibility of community feedback on the source to help - and presumably because they wish to restrict code access to maximize potential revenue - they might consider a small monthly payment to compensate for the PMMP teams extra work? If that were the case, maye PMMP might even consider reopening the free/paid plugin debate.

*grabs coat*

applqpak and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  20. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    If there is to be a premium plugin section, it is definitely not going to be in Poggit. We may enable it in PMMP forums as resources, but the requirements for quality would definitely be much stricter than those submitted on Poggit.

applqpak likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.