1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Fortnightly Plugin Development Challenge

Discussion in 'Development' started by Thunder33345, Jun 13, 2017.

1. XenialDan

XenialDan Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    thebigsmilexd
    Salmon is the definitive winner in my oppinion <3

HimbeersaftLP and SalmonDE like this.
  2. Aericio

Aericio Slime

GitHub:
    aericio
    @SalmonDE love the plugin, i've rate it 11/10 on yelp and it's a very simple but useful plugin. It's very useful for keeping the chat child-friendly and reduces the hate that goes around the server. Communication with others is also easier than before! This deserves to win, no doubt.

jasonwynn10 and SalmonDE like this.
  3. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    One problem with this is that we end up with multiple versions of the same plugin, only one possible winner, and probably only one new plugin for the community (or more duplicate plugins). The same objection arises with sofe's plugin theme competition.

So I'd suggest simply that submissions must be original, and never previously published. It might also be a good idea to ask that devs register their empty github repo by a given competition starting date so the full commit history is visible and separate prizes could be awarded to solo and team efforts.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  4. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    the original intention is to have something ongoing like to stimulate development
    but i agree with the flaws of setting a theme or challenge/restriction

theme would result in duplicates which is not really helpful
    challenge/restriction would left the plugin impractical or inadvisable or inefficient to be run on a normal server

but just asking people to submit plugin every few weeks is quite boring too

jasonwynn10 and Sandertv like this.
  5. jasonwynn10

jasonwynn10 Moderator Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    jasonwynn10
    okay, what if instead of single plugins, we do core plugins?

6. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    And we already have a great core plugin called "PocketMine-MP" and many excellent core modules called "PocketMine plugins", listed on https://poggit.pmmp.io/pi
    The whole concept of "core plugin" is meaningless. A core plugin simply mixes everything into the same plugin, and it is only meaningful under two circumstances; one is that you are the only person using the plugin and you don't need to distribute it or let people customize it and merging everything together can improve your deployment workflow by reducing the number of projects to manage; and the other circumstance is the superstition that reducing the number of plugins magically boosts your server performance, which we all know is not reasonable.

7. TheDiamondYT

TheDiamondYT Zombie

GitHub:
    TheDiamondYT1
    I think it should be a community challenge. Everyone has a set amount of time to create a brand new plugin with a certain purpose and submit it. The winner would have their plugin posted on poggit and featured on a site.

My idea would required a simple site to submit and store the number of requests. I can probably help in creating in, with a url such as mcpe-contest.tk.

8. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    How about instead of a specific plugin theme that would result in duplicates, set themes such as 'a plugin that uses entities', or a plugin that uses cURL and AsyncTask? Or a broad gameplay theme such as 'PvP related'?

Another problem is that new coders will be put off by competing against others with much more experience, so maybe separate prizes for newcomers (i.e no checked plugin in poggit?) / seasoned devs?

9. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    yes it's intended as a community challenge for devs
    what i liked about forum is it "self sorts" "voting frauds" etc admins can quickly pin down users, and it's no where as easy as setting up a VPN or a script that does that on your behalf

I think using a very general topic/themes would work well, as for beginner like a secondary "league" that's more forgiving? but that will need more userbase to make it happen, but maybe like a featured beginner section?

as for voting, i kinda want reddit style voting (up or down) but having 1 likes feels better then having -10 downvotes on your submission

this is originally inspired by /r/mcpe https://www.reddit.com/r/MCPE/comments/6gm3o1 where people can just submit MCPE builds

10. Sandertv

Sandertv Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    [Submission] IncompatibleAPIPluginLoader
    Hi there, I saw loads of comments on the PMMP repo about incompatible API loading and stuff, and got fed up with all of that. I decided to create the most hacky plugin ever and allow loading incompatible API plugins through a plugin, which can be found here: https://github.com/Sandertv/IncompatibleAPIPluginLoader

I know this is not going to make it, because it's hacky and a VERY bad idea, I thought I'd just submit it anyways to stimulate this challenge :p

11. SalmonDE

SalmonDE Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    SalmonDE
    My submission isn't great, too!

Sandertv likes this.
  12. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    A hackathon could also be considered.
    Rules:
    1. Host of the competition decides the topic internally.
    2. Developers apply to join and decide on a 24-hour period to play.
    3. The host announces the topic. Competitors have 24 hours to finish the plugin.
    4. Developers must livestream their development while coding + livestream their testing process. The livestream should include the planning process (no need to reveal face or voice or hand or record IRL videos, but you must in some ways present your planning via livestream).
    Developers must push their code onto GitHub before the end of the 24-hour period.

Developers should not copy others. However, livestream audience can comment on developers' work immediately.

13. XenialDan

XenialDan Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    thebigsmilexd
    if so, brb uploading 5 plugins to github that i forgot to release..

14. XenialDan

XenialDan Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    thebigsmilexd
    this looks clean and okay, i already do that quite often. 24 hours in 1 session is quite overkill, splitting it up would be better.. i am not awake for 24 hours every day, and for example youtube has some limit, i think 12 hours.. atleast max. 12 hours to replay

15. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    hackathon might not suite some of our younger devs...
    but unless cutting your own session short is acceptable
    like only taking 12 hours out of the 24 hours which may backfire a little bit on yourself

jasonwynn10 likes this.
  16. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    24 hours means you choose 8 hours out of it to sleep, choose 2 hours out of it to eat, x hours to do whatever you like and (14-x) hours to code the plugin. You don't have to spend all 24 hours, but you can plan your own timetable.
    A 24-hour period eliminates inequality due to timezone difference.
    I'm not saying you need to spend all 24 hours livestreaming. Just make sure others can stick close to your progress.

jasonwynn10 likes this.
  17. Indexfire

Indexfire Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    Indexfire
    Time to polish Mega Walls PE for this :)

18. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    This contest has been concluded
    Thanks to everyone who has participated

Winner of this contest is @SalmonDE 's Hello World Plugin!! with 8 votes
    And the second place is Bla.. ahem @Sandertv 's Incompatible API Plugin Loader with 6 votes, which is quite helpful if you like living on the edge
    Congrats to SalmonDE, an
    And also thanks for everyone who shared their thoughts and opinions This thread will still stay open, so feel free to leave your comments or feedback or suggestions or just ANYTHING about it

While you are at it feel free to leave a theme suggestion/challenges I am generally lending toward using a broad theme which allows PRACTICAL plugins that can be used on servers, yet without creating duplicate of the same kind

19. Indexfire

Indexfire Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    Indexfire
    Welp I'm confirmed one of those newcomers since my server only recently agreed to load plugins

Plus making that entity PvP plugin but it won't work because mega walls apparently has a main class exception

20. XenialDan

XenialDan Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    thebigsmilexd
    SalmonDE likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.