1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Finding plugins

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Dinokiller, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Dinokiller

Dinokiller Spider Jockey

Back before these new forums, there used to be a central plugin repository that everyone used to release their plugins on. Plugins were categorized, could be reviewed and had download counts so as to give you an idea of whether it was any good or not. It would also by default show the latest updated plugins first so if say you had just released yours on there it would naturally be seen and it had a good chance of gaining popularity.

Now it's not quite like that anymore. To my understanding, if you want to find a plugin now you just go to GitHub. However, the problem with this besides having to often build the plugin yourself is that you will always go there knowing the name of the plugin you want. This means there is effectively no longer such thing as browsing for plugins anymore. I think right now, if you were to release a plugin on GitHub I don't feel like you would have as wide of an audience to it as you would back when we had our own repository.

I am aware of Poggit but it doesn't seem to be complete yet as there aren't any actual releases on it right now and the development builds that are there lack information to what they do and to how well they actually work.

So what I would like to know what the current best place to release a new plugin at and how I should go about making it known.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    applqpak and Dblcut3 like this.
  2. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    For now, I don't believe there is a way to 'release' plugins to the public yet (At least, in an official, Pocketmine way). Poggit should have releases soon (idk how soon, but they are working on it). For now, all you can really do is make a Repo on Github, and search for plugins you want on Github.

applqpak likes this.
  3. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    Poggit is still in alpha and the 'Release" section is indeed still incomplete - for now you can download unchecked .phar builds for any plugins that have been added to Poggit from the CI section (https://poggit.pmmp.io/ci) by searching with the 'Multisearch' box. For each submitted plugin there is also a link to the plugin's Github repository where you should find the author's instructions. We can't give an ETA just yet for 'Release' as there's still quite a lot of work to be done, and SOFe is a very busy person with too much on his plate already... but we are doing our best!

applqpak and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  4. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    for me, it would be nice to have some sort of gettho plugin release forum... for now since we had no ETA

Dinokiller likes this.
  5. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
  6. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    I think this is considered as advertising...

7. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    but it is not when someone ask for a plugin and you got that plugin!

8. Dinokiller

Dinokiller Spider Jockey

Okay, if I have a plugin though what is the best way of making it known? I've never seen anyone create a thread in this forum about their plugin so I'm not sure if it's allowed. I have a plugin in the works and I want to know the best way to release it if I ever finish it.
    I'm not looking for plugins, my question was about where to release them and how to go about doing it. I don't mind you advertising your team's plugins here too much but please at least make sure it's relevant.

9. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    Poggit releases are probably the best way to make it known, when released. At this time putting them on the CI is also a good idea.

Awzaw likes this.
  10. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    Well, I guess I was thinking of it more as an example. If you want to have a way to release your plugins and make them known, then you may just have to do it yourself for a while. You know whats going on in PMMP right now, so you should also know that there is no way to officially release plugins right now, and making a request for a place to release plugins is pointless right now, because they are already working on it. If you want to have a place to release your plugins, you may have to just be patient, or use a similar strategy to the one me and a few other developers have made.

I know it seems harsh, and I am not trying to discredit or offend anyone in any way, but a lot of other requests similar to this one have been made, and I know for a fact that the Poggit team is working on it, so please be patient.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.