1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Faster Software

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BLOCKSTORM, May 20, 2018.

?

What is the most fast?

1. Nukkit

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. GoMint

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. PMMP

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. Altay

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  5. MiNET

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  1. BLOCKSTORM

BLOCKSTORM Witch

What is the most fastest MCPE Software at the moment?
    Nukkit, GoMint, Altay, PMMP, MiNET.
    I don't know, so whats the most fast?

2. BLOCKSTORM

BLOCKSTORM Witch

3. BLOCKSTORM

BLOCKSTORM Witch

Or can someone make an ranking for that?

4. Primus

Primus Zombie Pigman

MiNET, Nukkit, PMMP. That's it. GoMint isn't finished yet and Altay is fork of PMMP.

5. Tee7even

Tee7even Slime

GitHub:
    tee7even
    The question in itself is sort of dumb and that way of choosing server software will only lead to a loss of time on your part.

6. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    HimbeersaftLP, Muqsit and Tee7even like this.
  7. BLOCKSTORM

BLOCKSTORM Witch

Or to specify that thread, what is the fastest programming language to write mcpe server software in?

8. BLOCKSTORM

BLOCKSTORM Witch

9. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    none, even the fastest language is shit when it's coded shitily
    just because you have the best pencil it wont make your art the best

HimbeersaftLP, Eduardo and SOFe like this.
  10. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    The programming language does not affect the performance. It is the runtime that affects the performance, which includes:
    - the hardware (obvious stuff like RAM, CPU, #cores, network)
    - the other tasks the same machine is executing
    - how well your code is written
    - the program executor

The program executor is the closest thing you might consider related to "programming language".
    Some languages are compiled to native machine code, such as these ones, e.g. C/C++, Go, etc. Theoretically, native machine code should be fastest, but they also have other problems. For example, it is very hard to write good code in some languages, because the lower-level the language is, the higher chance you get strange bugs. It also depends on the optimizations executed by the compiler (which is related to the language).
    Some other languages are executed in a VM, such as Java executed in JVM. These might be slightly slower, but modern technologies make them typically as fast as native machine code, especially with some JIT-compilation after it executes a few times.
    Some other languages are parsed code executed in another program, such as PHP. These languages are usually slow, but through a lot of optimizations they can still be comparable to native machine code. However, PHP is one of those badly designed languages such that however hard the PHP team tries to optimize PHP, there are still some performance bonuses that cannot be implemented both by the PHP programmer and by the PHP team.

TL;DR: The language doesn't really matter. How you write the code matters the most. C is one of those pretty low-level languages that get compiled to native machine code directly, and you can write very optimized code in C because you have so much control on the program. But the question is, will the developers actually use these possible optimizations so well? It is a very time-consuming and tiring job to optimize code even though you can do it. And every programmer differs in his capability of optimizing code.

Fun fact: PHP is simply a C program that loads PHP files and executes stuff according to the contents of the PHP files. Therefore, in some sense, PocketMine was written in C! (For the April's fool this year, we thought of distributing PHP binaries bundled with the PocketMine code and telling people we rewrote PocketMine in C)

If you really want one answer: In the current world, if you want the best optimization possible, you should not be writing in a programming language. At least, not a software programming language. You should be designing hardware dedicated for a single purpose. FYI, the most performance-valuable computational task in this world is bitcoin mining, and designing hardware dedicated for mining bitcoins. Will you do this for a Minecraft server?

11. BLOCKSTORM

BLOCKSTORM Witch

Thanks for that answer :D I don't really think that i would do something like that for a minecraft server. I think i can use PHP Skills at more Points in the big World Wide Web, so actually i'm designing a WebShop for developer to sell Software in an much better way than sellfy, so i don't think something like Ultra-Boss-Like Hardware is needed. I simply see MC:BE Development as an Hobby :)

12. Levi

Levi Skeleton

GitHub:
    captainleviftw
    Gomint

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.