1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Comparisons of problems between coding languages..

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by StuntzCo, Feb 23, 2017.

1. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

[note I am very new to PHP extreme noob warning]

So recently I've been noticing people asking about bugs in code and stuff and almost always someone replies with "look at the source code it will give the answer" or similar when talking about people I guess calling the wrong names of functions and Objects/other stuff and their code not working or not affecting anything.

Is this kinda similar to say somebody trying to change an aspect of a website in CSS and I guess calling an element, class or id name That doesn't exist when changing aspects of stuff and when said person reloads their webpage no aspects of anything has changed. So obviously the solution is to go back to the html file and find what you want to change and the tag or id of what you want to change. Then you would proceed to go back to your CSS file and now that you have the right id etc you would just put that your CSS file and change the aspects and then what you were trying to do actually works.

Is this a good comparison just like calling a nonexistent function or Object name or something calling a nonexistent id or class name doesn't do anything.

basically I'm trying to imply the .css is your plugin and the .html file is pocketmine

Is this why everyone recommends looking through the source?
    Is this an accurate representation?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    It does something useful -- crash your server.

Other than that, it's generally correct. Some people recommend reading a Doxygen-generated documentation (don't ask me for the link; no idea where they are putting the servers now) such that you don't have to skip all the code within functions, but I think it's bad, because PocketMine is poorly-documented, and usually reading the function names + documentation won't help you enough. Reading the source code can help you understand what the functions do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.