1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Announcement Clean up our consoles!

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by SOFe, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    We care because we have a levy on the plugin ecosystem
    we developers are capable of making it better for the end users and we should..

EdwardHamHam likes this.
  2. TwistedAsylumMC

TwistedAsylumMC Slime

GitHub:
    twistedasylummc
    How come dev tools can use colors huh? it distracts me from noticing errors. Also some of deibo's plugins use colors too. so dont reject peoples plugins if poggit reviewers do it too.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2018
  3. Muqsit

Muqsit Chicken

GitHub:
    muqsit
    I don't think you understood the issue here. It's sure as hell annoying but that isn't the only reason. The unwanted messages are just as bad as disabling error reporting in PluginBase::onEnable(). There are definitely more than a handful of users that code on medium-sized screens or on mobile who may find the cool ASCII texts take up enough space to block any error messages prior to the message.
    Code:
    [ERROR]: Unexpected ')' in WorldProtector. Protection will now disable.
    [SERVER]: Enabling Plugin1 by You
    P
    L
    U
    G
    I
    N
    P L U G I N 1
    VIEW US ON GITHUB!
    [SERVER]: Enabling AnotherPluginOfYoursThatUsesFancyASCIItexts1 by You
    P
    L
    U
    G
    I
    N
    P L U G I N 2

Have 3 to 4 plugins spam their name in ASCII and you'll never see the error on first sight.

Thunder33345 likes this.
  4. Muqsit

Muqsit Chicken

GitHub:
    muqsit
    I was replying to someone else in that thread.

Specific colours are reserved for specific types of console messages. PocketMine uses:

AQUA for notice messages
    RED for emergency, alerts and criticals
    DARK RED for errors

Those colours are easily visible to the human eye (because of λ). Now if you were to use these colours as a means of communication for your generic unneeded messages, you will be hiding out the errors. People would mistake error messages as messages from your plugin, or find it harder to differentiate between error messages and messages from your plugin.

Think of it this way.
    Here's a screenshot from an IDE that supports syntax highlighting:
    syntax-highlighter-final.jpg
    The IDE has support for third-party plugins and allows third-party plugins to modify syntax highlighting colors.

Would you like it if the plugin replaces the PHPDoc colour from gray to orange so that it blends in with the function name colour?

You are free to use colours as long as they don't cause any inconveniences to the user.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    EdwardHamHam likes this.
  5. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Because DevTools is only supposed to be used by the developer of that plugin. The light purple message is to remind you that you are not loading that plugin properly.
    And if you are the developer of that plugin, you won't mind having a light purple message just for your own plugin.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2018
  6. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    Can you point out which ones exactly? We are not going to reject those before 3.0.0-ALPHA12, because it is too much to look for. This only applies to new plugins. Being a plugin reviewer doesn't mean what they do is correct.

EdwardHamHam and Thunder33345 like this.
  7. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    This thread is starting to get heated. If you have something to contribute, then please do so maturely.

8. Tee7even

Tee7even Slime

GitHub:
    tee7even
    I don't think this is quite right. All the plugins must adhere to the new rule, if there is one and they're still being updated that is. Are updates being reviewed too?

MC ATECH likes this.
  9. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    as long as the plugin isnt approved yes...
    also if you update a old plugin your new version is forbidden from using say things

10. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    Yes. By "new plugins" I was referring to new releases, which include updates. Sorry about the misuse of terms. We are just not reviewing older releases since there are too many of them and few people use them. In addition, my main goal is to raise current developers' awareness on how bad these useless messages are for servers.

11. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.