1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Announcement Beta release of Poggit

Discussion in 'News' started by SOFe, Jan 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Poggit has finally come to the stage of Beta!

What is Poggit?
    Poggit is... many things!

It is probably easier if you visit https://poggit.pmmp.io directly and have your adventure!

Poggit-CI
    Poggit provides a CI (continuous integration) for plugins. Basically, every time you push commits onto GitHub, or when you receive a pull request, Poggit-CI will make phars from your code. It also has a feature called Lint, where Poggit will detect common problems in plugins.

For how to push your plugins to GitHub, see this thread by @PEMapModder:
    You can download plugins from Poggit-CI, but this is not the release platform, and builds you download from Poggit-CI may be dangerous. We (will) have a nicer section for listing officially-approved plugins...

Poggit Release
    Plugins submitted to Poggit Release will go through multiple steps of reviewing.
    1. Quick review: Staff would look at the code quickly, and reject any spam or malicious plugins.
    2. Community review: Established users can vote to approve or reject plugins. The plugin will then be publicly available.
    3. Official review: The official review, probably slower than other steps.
    Note that all plugins released must be built from Poggit-CI to facilitate reviewing.

Actually, the link to the Poggit Release plugin list page is on these forums already!

What does Beta mean?
    This is beta. This is beta, not the release candidate.
    In the Poggit roadmap, beta is the stage when its basic (infrastructural) development has completed, and everyone can use it safely. In other words, from now on, Poggit should normally have no downtime. The server running at https://poggit.pmmp.io is a production server where you (hopefully) can trust your data on it.

Support/bugs
    Bugs: https://github.com/poggit/poggit/issues
    Support: https://github.com/poggit/support/issues

jasonwynn10, Primus, Awzaw and 11 others like this.
  2. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
    Yes, awesome! No more having to manually build phars.

jasonwynn10 likes this.
  3. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    I probably forgot to mention: Poggit is not to replace DevTools! Manually building phars is for local testing. Poggit-CI packaging is for deployment.

jasonwynn10, Muqsit and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  4. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
    Ah, yes. Of course.

5. Dog2puppy

Dog2puppy Slime

GitHub:
    colesquared
    Was my plugin rejected?

6. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    We're still working on release display permissions. The mechanism is a bit messed up right now.

jasonwynn10, Magicode and Dog2puppy like this.
  7. The_Clock

The_Clock Spider Jockey

Finally! All plugins will support the current API! Yay! SO USEFUL too bad there are only a few plugins there so far

jasonwynn10 and Keith like this.
  8. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

There's always the fun of bumping API's and seeing what breaks right guys.. guys come on who's with me...

9. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    that's reserved for these who know's what they are doing

jasonwynn10, dktapps and EdwardHamHam like this.
  10. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

unless you're me and just bump it to bump it and something breaks and you dont know how to fix it so you pray for the verified and dev gods to save you from your circumstances

11. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

I had my doubts but there's actually a steady stream of plugins being uploaded to poggit at least once a week I think there's already 8 plugins available

12. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    dont worry it should sort itself out when the plugin reviewers stop slacking *cough*

13. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

Do the plugin reviewers just test plugins after they bump the API or do they test and look through code to make sure it wasn't written by a 3 year old or myself?

14. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    they make sure the code is not something
    malicious
    that dont work
    Or
    is properly written
    is praticale
    and so on

15. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

how long does that take per plugin

16. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
    That would most likely be different for each plugin, as though it probably depends on how big a plugin is, how much time the reviewers have, and what the plugins does.

jasonwynn10 likes this.
  17. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    What is the relationship?...
    Verified != God! There are some that I really wouldn't agree upon anything that they post...
    According to what @Humerus, the former "only" plugin reviewer on old forums, shares with us on his experience in plugin reviewing, these should be take into consideration:
    More precisely: code readability, possible plagiarism, potential damage to server and whether it is functional

First of all, plugins have to conform to these plugin standards I recommended.
    Second, plugins have to conform to the "reasonable points" in the plugin submission guidelines on old forums. Unreasonable points include disallowing plugins serving similar functionalities as official plugins; #BlameShoghi; as long as a plugin's functionality isn't entirely covered by another plugin, it should be allowed for competition. Also, forks are not allowed for release unless you have major changes; for minor changes, they will be forked by the Poggit Orphanage to update them so that no human would unreasonably get all credits for a plugin that they didn't develop.

18. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    One thing worth mentioning is that there are many more other plugins on Poggit, which are Checked and pending for more serious reviewing. However, we're working on implementing voting, so I suppose a few more days/weeks would be needed.

jasonwynn10 likes this.
  19. archie426

archie426 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    archie426
    What about AntiSober?

20. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    Voting is now enabled for 'Checked' plugins to promote them to 'Voted' status; For the moment 'Checked' plugin releases are visible to all logged users, but once there are enough plugins submitted this will change to 'Voted' upwards.

jasonwynn10 and corytortoise like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.