1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Best VPS to host Pocketmine

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by MCMarsBoyee, Jun 27, 2017.

?

What is the best VPS for Pocketmine?

1. Linode

3.8%
  2. Digitalocean

23.1%
  3. OVH

63.5%
  4. Vultr

9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenn Fatt

Kenn Fatt Slime

GitHub:
    kennfatt
    RamNode is not popular enough? I used that for last 2 years.

2. kenygamer

kenygamer Banned Banned

GitHub:
    kenygamer
    A good VPS host for PocketMine was Vultr.

3. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    I know this has been mentioned a few times already, but you can never mention it enough:
    PocketMine's uppermost requirement is speed/GHz per core. Always aim for the highest GHz per core. For example if you get to choose between:
    5GHz@4Cores || 3.7GHz@8Cores || 2.7GHz@12Cores
    always choose the 5GHz@4Cores. Although world generation will be faster on 2.7GHz@12Cores (with the correct settings), the main thread will be hopelessly overloaded with a few plugins and players.
    Then I would look out for an SSD, at least until https://github.com/pmmp/PocketMine-MP/pull/1895 is merged. Because currently the main thread spends valuable time to wait for your disk to save the world.
    Then I would care for RAM. Generally you don't need more than 8GB in any situation, because if you have those full, your main thread, even with 5Ghz, probably can't keep up with all those chunks and players to tick, except if you have bad plugins. 2GB should be fine for servers with good plugins and a low player spread or under 20 players. RAM is really not an issue, unless you're hitting the limit.
    So, instead of doing what most people do: RAM, SSD, CORES and then clock rate do: Clock rate, SSD, RAM and then cores. BUT: If you want to run more servers on one machine than your core count divided by 2, it could get a bit heated. But in general, it is absolutely fine to run 2 servers on a 4Core processor. 4 server will be a bit overkill though (given that they all have modest load)

kenygamer likes this.
  4. Muqsit

Muqsit Chicken

GitHub:
    muqsit
    I don't know if we are allowed to post links, so I won't.
    OVH has a GPU server with 1920 CUDA cores at a price of $200.
    Dedicated GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
    1920 CUDA cores
    8 GB GDDR5
    15 - 30 GB RAM
    4 - 8 vCores
    3.1 GHz
    100 - 200 GB SSD Local RAID
    250 - 500 Mbps of bandwidth
    1000 - 2000 Mbps of vRack bandwidth
    It sounds too good to be a dedicated server. I'll confirm whether it is a dedicated server.

Never opt for a VPS in production. This is of course if you have the budget to go for a dedicated server and yet chose to host on a VPS.
    VPS are shared servers. You'll be facing many "noisy neighbour" problems with VPS.

5. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    3.1GHz isn't that great for pmmp
    allthough i bet with all those cuda cores you can generate worlds fucking fast.

Muqsit likes this.
  6. MCPEChicken_

MCPEChicken_ Silverfish

GitHub:
    mcpechicken
    honestly, only because I used to use leet, I have since moved on...

Recently, I have actually gone almost Inactive from their community. Even then, I do not hate the community, I just have moved on from MCPE servers in general...

(sorry about the bump, haven't been here for months)

7. kenygamer

kenygamer Banned Banned

GitHub:
    kenygamer
    I disagree. Non-oversold hosts are as good as a dedicated server to host PocketMine. May a dedicated server have its benefits, but a well administered VPS hosting is something completely different.

8. Muqsit

Muqsit Chicken

GitHub:
    muqsit
    I really don't see why anyone would disagree on that. You've definitely never experienced a noisy-neighbour. You shouldn't rely on a VPS for hosting a production server. Ever.

You never know when your heck-of-a neighbor is going to overload the pipe. You're better off without a VPS so there's no "random" ups and downs in the server load.

Although I do break this rule by hosting my hub on a VPS as it gets a very few (1-20) players but can work fine even in the harshest of conditions.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. kenygamer

kenygamer Banned Banned

GitHub:
    kenygamer
    Not always.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.