1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Best VPS to host Pocketmine

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by MCMarsBoyee, Jun 27, 2017.

?

What is the best VPS for Pocketmine?

1. Linode

3.8%
  2. Digitalocean

23.1%
  3. OVH

63.5%
  4. Vultr

9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCMarsBoyee

MCMarsBoyee Spider Jockey

GitHub:
    mcmarsboyee
    I have a Pocketmine server, like most of you here in these forums. I spend hours trying to determine how to optimize my setup of Pocketmine, which in this case, one which will be able to support many players, and at the same time be able to handle all of them at once and not have a lot of issues. With that being said, what do you think is the best VPS for Pocketmine? I personally use Digitalocean, but its pricing has stayed put and I'm afraid its pretty expensive compared to other hosts nowadays. So what do you think is the best host? Is it Linode, Digitalocean, OVH, or Vultr? Which do you think has the best quality, RAM, pricing, support, tech, etc?

Please give me detailed answers, as I want to know everything I can about these hosts and weigh them side by side so that I can figure out the best one for my server! If you can't, I've set up a poll above so you can give your answers without annoying paragraphs!

Thanks.

2. Thouv

Thouv Slime

GitHub:
    adeynes
    Definitely OVH if your budget is limited. You can get 2 GB RAM for $3.49/mo, and you can easily upgrade to up to 8 GB for $13.99/mo. Their dedicated servers are pretty cheap too, with a 32 GB RAM server for $75/mo. However, their customer support isn't very good. Regarding network speed, they claim they have 100 Mbps but really it's more like 12. But that's more than enough for hosting one Minecraft server.

3. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    personally, if your only reason to get a server is to host a PMMP server,
    i think something like 2 or 4 should do, maybe 8 would be already overkill, but dont go crazy and get a 16GB or 32GB or a 64GB ram server, you probably will never need that many anyways so it's just wasting money
    also try prioritising cores and GHZ(clock speed) after your ram reach a reasonable amount
    as far as facts goes, i am unsure which is better
    might just strike a balance of good ghz and cores or go and experiment with it
    Or if anyone know which is best to prioritise, please do reply

Sandertv likes this.
  4. Pizzahaet

Pizzahaet Spider

GitHub:
    pizzahaet
    If you are under the age of 18 they are not for you.

5. MCMarsBoyee

GitHub:
    mcmarsboyee
    But can't an adult technically order for you?

6. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    But you should also say why,
    A 10 year old should not wield a gun, so instead of taking it away and forget it, you should tell them WHY they shouldnt wield a gun, saying no without reason or impose authority like "Because I say so" without factual reason backing it up is not helping the subject in any way, they might just go take it silently and play with it without knowing they could injure themself

Sardilla, bob, NickTehUnicorn and 4 others like this.
  7. Pizzahaet

Pizzahaet Spider

GitHub:
    pizzahaet
    Yes, but if your parents are so petrified of the idea of possibly having their identity stolen, then no.

8. Muqsit

Muqsit Chicken

GitHub:
    muqsit
    That's a misunderstanding from a Spigot thread.
    I am 16 and have purchased 4 systems in total from them. All you need is your passport and any phone bill.

Sandertv likes this.
  9. Pizzahaet

Pizzahaet Spider

GitHub:
    pizzahaet
    Well, I received an email asking for proof of identification of two docs, one a state id and two a bill of some sort I only had the state id, not any bills when I called them about it I was told i can probably use normal mail if I am honest or whatever with the identification team, and then guy on phone asked if I was of 18years of age and I replied no scared if he was going to close my account, he said that he is going to refund my money of the upgrade I purchased, and let my vps run till the next billing payment then close my account... Where do you get the idea of a misunderstanding from a spigot thread?

10. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    actually it depends, some people are capable of buying it them self, using a debit card or earn through commissions or what not
    and it depends on where you buy it and their TOS weather they have anything against age of under 18
    or just your confort of identifying your identity
    which if you are not, you are probably fine just moving to another host after the cycle

11. Muqsit

Muqsit Chicken

GitHub:
    muqsit
    I'm not sure about the minimum age requirement, because my ovh account is registered under someone > 18.

12. MCMarsBoyee

GitHub:
    mcmarsboyee
    How about Linode? It gives double benefits for the same price compared to Digitalocean, and does not ask for your age, nor does it collect personal information. (or so I am told) Is it a good quality VPS service?

13. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    You could've Photoshopped someone else's phone bill lol xD

Muqsit and Sandertv like this.
  14. MCMarsBoyee

GitHub:
    mcmarsboyee
    Hmm... so based on what I know now:

OVH is cheap and provides a large amount of RAM compared to the price of the VPS, but gives a lower amount of storage of 10GB in the starting package and has bad customer support. It also demands you to provide them with identification (which can result in less credibility and more inconvenience to the customer). Overall, OVH is only good for you when you or your parents don't mind the risk of getting their identities stolen and if one's budget is REALLY low.

Digitalocean obviously has higher quality than OVH, but its pricing model has stayed the same, while the other competitors have updated their pricing to be cheaper. Every review about Digitalocean claims that it has award-winning performance, support, quality, and a community with easy-to-follow tutorials. I've also used it, and I am very satisfied with its performance. The only think I worry about is pricing, as it costs more than every other competitor.

Linode is the closest contender to being the best out of this list (other than Digitalocean). Funny how its made everything else cheaper while its dashboard UI still looks like Windows 7. They're still using their 5-year old UI to sell servers! I also hear that services like SSH don't run as fast in Linode as in every other provider (or something like that). However, their quality is extremely high, and their server performance is faster than the rest. Normally I would have bought from Linode, since it is also the oldest and most reputable company of them all, but I'm gonna wait until they've updated their UI and made their services run faster (but should I wait?).

Vultr..."sigh". I'm not sure what to expect from Vultr. It's pricing is the same as Linode, but it is the "Glittering Generalities" host of servers. It claims that it is faster than everyone else, but all I see in their forums and reviews are complaints about Vultr's slow speed or its tendency to crash at random times. It may be cheap, but I guess you get what you pay for. Now I feel that I shouldn't have put Vultr in this list, since it is literally crap.

NOTICE: This is based on what I found on the Internet, if any of you find more credible and correct information, please let me know.

Thanks.

15. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    InspectorGadget
    I wish they support mobile payments.

16. Muqsit

Muqsit Chicken

GitHub:
    muqsit
    Incorrect. OVH has one of the BEST customer support. They have a 24/7 call support (not those "have you tried turning off and turning it on again" kind of IT techs), twitter support and also send you emails when your server is getting attacked + they carry out their little intervention (which actually doesn't interfere with your server).
    Just look at the quality content they send you. And no, I don't work for OVH.
    11.PNG 1111.PNG 11111.PNG

Moreover, OVH has some well known partners https://www.ovh.com.au/about-us/technical-partners.xml + they do events like the recent Bug Bounty.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  17. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    OVH seems nice, and seems reputable that they will take care of your identity, so i dont see the need to use your parent's identity unless they have something against 18 under
    but i would still have a problem with them, demanding identification
    i also doubt PMMP really need that many ram, and to get cores/HGz you just have to up your ram
    there's no real customizability other than pre layout plans

18. Levi

Levi Skeleton

GitHub:
    captainleviftw
    in my opinion i think digitalocean is too much bs, you have to pay 5 dolalrs first

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  19. QuiverlyRivalry

QuiverlyRivalry Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    quiverlyrivalry
    I bought an OVH Server on Sunday
    1. They dont have a very good TICKET suppourt
    2. They make sure customers are part of the OVH team and feel like they know whats happening
    3. They cheap
    And for the age issue. I recently bough another server from another host. Before I bought the servers I told the live suppourt I am 13 all he said was. Okay, anything else I can help you with? In my view hosts dont care the age groups in fact most hosts age groups arent legally allowed to have a PayPal or Credit Card...

20. Pizzahaet

Pizzahaet Spider

GitHub:
    pizzahaet
    You are allowed to have a PayPal whenever pretty sure but you can't get a credit card of your own until you are 18 years old in america I have heard something about getting a credit card for minors but it has like a lot of restrictions, you can get a debit card though which is basically a credit card accept the money from the debit card is what you've made from your job while a credit card is just loans that you must pay back.
    For the OVH age thing I was emailed about confirming my identity by OVH just to upgrade my machine I had to send a picture of my state ID and a proof of address using an old bill that i recieved in the mail which i didnt do any of that because I seemed like i was going to get my identity stolen.
    This happened like 5 months ago, before i had got my state ID I don't know if they still do this because i just recently bought another machine from them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.