1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Where to start with pocketmine?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by EHTspark, Jun 18, 2018.

1. EHTspark

EHTspark Spider

I have tried today unsuccessfully to obtain and run pocketmine for Linux. What I have found leads me to believe that the project is no longer active or being developped. This is my last ditch effore to get help/

I obtained pocketmine from http://www.pocketmine.net/ as this is the link that google throws up. I was able to download with wget but I could not run the server. Further inspection showed that the start.sh script was trying to detect php7 when php5 was downloaded into the install directory.

I initially tried to sign up to get help on the pocketmine forum at https://forums.pocketmine.net/, but this did not receive any confirmation e-mails. I then realised that the first post that says that "today is moving day". was dated November 2016.

I then attempted to get help #pocketmine on freenode, but got no response. I tried the official minecraft IRC channel but was informed that they do not help with 3rd party content. Finally I found a Reddit minecraft IRC channel and was pointed to pmmp.io, although someone also mentioned that it runs on php which seemed to imply that was a downside?

I tried to download via the links provided on pmmp.io:
    curl -sL https://get.pmmp.io | bash -s -
    wget -q -O - https://get.pmmp.io | bash -s -

Neither works. All I get is:

[!] Couldn't get the latest PocketMine-MP version

which is none too helpful. If pocketmine is still an active project then I would be interested in trying to run it on Linux but also understand why running it pn PHP is a negative aspecy? Any help gratefully appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
    PocketMine is a very active project, but you've been trying to get it (and help) from all of the old places- everything has moved here. It is very possible to install PocketMine on Linux (and is favored over other operating systems to run it on) but could you please show us the entire log of when you tried to install it? I'm not sure if it didn't download anything, or it you just need to get an updated phar from https://jenkins.pmmp.io

3. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    thanks for notifying us about get.pmmp.io, there was a bug that has now been fixed.

4. EHTspark

EHTspark Spider

Edwardthehog2, sorry, but there was no further information other than that one line, however it would seem that dktapps has sorted the issue.

I tried the download with wget again this morning and it proceeded to retrieve the application. Thanks dktapps for sorting that. I note that this is still an alpha build so I guess there will still be bugs so I guess I should not be suprised to run into another issue:

[3/3] No prebuilt PHP found, compiling PHP automatically. This might take a while.

[PocketMine] PHP compiler for Linux, MacOS and Android
    [INFO] Checking dependencies
    [ERROR] Please install "libtool" or "libtool-bin"

My Linux Mint system does have PHP7 installed. The binary is at these locations:

$ ls -al /usr/bin/php*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 May 21 14:13 /usr/bin/php -> /etc/alternatives/php
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4381744 May 10 13:21 /usr/bin/php7.0

$ ls -al /etc/alternatives/php
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 May 21 14:13 /etc/alternatives/php -> /usr/bin/php7.0

$ php phpver.php
    7.0.30-0ubuntu0.16.04.1

$ dpkg -l |grep libtool
    ii libltdl7:amd64 2.4.6-0.1 amd64 System independent dlopen wrapper for GNU libtool
    ii libltdl7:i386 2.4.6-0.1 i386 System independent dlopen wrapper for GNU libtool
    ii libtool 2.4.6-0.1 all Generic library support script

Since both PHP7 and libtool are present, there is no reason therefore for the install script to be trying to build PHP?

BTW, there seems to be no quote or code option when posting on this forum so I just used the courier font to mark the copied in text.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  5. EHTspark

EHTspark Spider

Ok, I modified start.sh to detect the PHP that I have installed on my system by adding another if..then entry to the statement that looks for PHP7. Trying to use the PHP7 installed on my system gave me this error:

[ERROR] PocketMine-MP requires PHP >= 7.2.0, but you have PHP 7.0.30-0ubuntu0.16.04.1.
    [ERROR] Please refer to the installation instructions at http://pmmp.rtfd.io/en/rtfd/installation.html

So evidently PHP 7.2 is required, but this is not available in the repository for this distro. Is there any particular reason for such a stringent requirement of the latest minor point version?

I decided to try with the recently released Mint 19 beta as this uses a later repository and hence would have the most recent versions of application libraries. As an experiment I installed this into a VM and having completed the installation, I then ran the wget command again to install pmmp. On this latest version the install did succeed and I have the default server up and running. For the present my iPad will not connect to it though - just says 'Locating server...'.

Unfortunately, if I hit the button to select the server it seems I am forced to create an Xbox account. I see no reason to have to do this when connecting to a local server. Is there any way around this?

6. SalmonDE

SalmonDE Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    SalmonDE
    Using a proxy you could bypass this client limitation. (I can't tell for sure if it still works).
    This gist by dktapps should be enough.

Edit:
    Forget that, aren't you able to join without an Xbox account via the friends tab?

EdwardHamHam likes this.
  7. EHTspark

EHTspark Spider

I haven't trried the proxy yet but have just been trying to figure out why the iPad is not finding the server. I was going to figure out how to run the proxy script next.

Anyway, I am making some progress. I changed the network interface on the VM from NAT to Bridged and now the iPad does show my server detected as 'Pocketmine-MP Server - v1.4.0' when I add it to the server list. However in answer to your question, I do not see it in the Friends list although that is what I was hoping for, and that at minimum I would be able to connect to a default 'world' (pmmp states preparing level 'world' at startup) ? That would be great if possible, but since that was not the case I added it as a server instead.

BTW, am I right in thinking that I should be able to place the copies of my worlds from the iPad into the /worlds directory on the pmmp server and be able to access them from the iPad or using the Win10 MCPE app?

8. EHTspark

EHTspark Spider

Ok, I think I'm almost there. I had a look in server.properties. The very last parameter is:

xbox-auth=on

I changed this to:

xbox-auth=off

When I restarted the server it then appeared in the 'Friends' list, so I no longer needed to add it as a server on the iPad. I could now just connect to it by tapping on its name under 'Friends' and a new world was generated on the first attempt. The next step is to add existing PE worlds that we have on other devices.

As an aside, the final release of Mint 19 is scheduled for the end of July, although their philosophy is 'when its ready', so it might take a little longer. Hopefully I will only have to wait a few weeks before I can run natively rather than in a VM as at present.

I do have a couple of questions about the settings. For example, what does the 'hardcore=off' setting do? Also, what is rcon (as in rcon.password=)?

9. Anarchochris

Anarchochris Silverfish

I am a bit late to the party, but I do maintain a docker image for pocketmine.

It's a lot easier to run and keeps your linux box cleaner than the install script.

You can find it here: https://hub.docker.com/r/circleeh/pocketmine/

The image is built from the latest "Alpha" and "Development" channels on the PMMP Jenkins build server assets, and is regenerated automatically every morning at 4:00 AM with the previous day's builds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.