1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Solved Trying to schedule a same-tick Task from an Event

Discussion in 'Development' started by instantlyta, Aug 11, 2021.

1. instantlyta

instantlyta Slime

GitHub:
    intagaming
    In InventoryTransactionEvent I scheduled a Task via TaskScheduler::scheduleTask(). For what I can observed from the Server::tick() function, the events are triggered from the network (hence the line
    $this->network->processInterfaces(); in Server::tick())
    , which is processed before it (the tick()) calls the tickSchedulers($this->tickCounter). Therefore it should process my task in the same tick. Yet it is delayed to the next tick (I var_dump($currentTick) in my task and var_dump(Server::getTick()) in the Event to verify.). Why is that delayed for 1 tick?

2. Primus

Primus Zombie Pigman

If you schedule the task on the event, it will be queued, but the previous queue was fired on that tick already. Therefore, your task will be updated only on the next tick.

If you want to execute code on the same tick, why bother with tasks?

I can't offer much help, I would need to know the expected behaviour and perhaps your previous attempts.

3. instantlyta

instantlyta Slime

GitHub:
    intagaming
    InventoryTransactionEvent has no setItem on the actions. I need the event to be complete to modify my target item.

It should not have ticked. As far as I can see, the Event is ran before the task ticks. Here's what I'm refering to:

Server.php

PHP:
        private function tick() : void{

$tickTime microtime(true);
            if((
    $tickTime $this->nextTick) < -0.025){ //Allow half a tick of diff

return;
            }

Timings::$serverTickTimer->startTiming();

++
    $this->tickCounter;

Timings::$connectionTimer->startTiming();

$this->network->processInterfaces(); // <---- Where the event should fired from. It did, I traced.

Timings::$connectionTimer->stopTiming();

Timings::$schedulerTimer->startTiming();

$this->pluginManager->tickSchedulers($this->tickCounter); // <---- Here's the task ticks.

Timings::$schedulerTimer->stopTiming();

4. instantlyta

instantlyta Slime

GitHub:
    intagaming
    Additional note: The reason behind this is if it's delayed to the next tick, it's executed after a series of new events, which can change the Inventory slot that I'm planning to modify. By making sure it runs on the same tick, no more events can creep into my "workaround".

5. instantlyta

instantlyta Slime

GitHub:
    intagaming
    From the Discord chat (thanks to Javier Leon9966), it might be that there’s a task in the queue that’s scheduled for the future, and so the task queue will stop until the next tick, hence the effect. I might make another thread for the InventoryTransactionEvent’s modifying the target item, which I might use the Inventory Processor to do so.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.