1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Suggestion Thread approval

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by xBeastMode, Feb 8, 2017.

?

Should we make PMMP forums a better place?

Poll closed Apr 8, 2017.
  1. I'm in.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Nah...

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. You sound like Donald Trump.

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

SUGGESTION - I think there we should have thread approvation by staff members or an automic systems that tries to analyze for duplicate threads and spam.

WHY - It's not just newcomers, it's also members who have been here long enough to know the system functions. As we know, members occasionally create invalid posts or duplicates, and even spam (AKA: spoons).
    It seems like the society that goes back to the same beliefs after several decades; that's how it has always been.

BUT...
    STAFF CAN JUST DELETE THREADS -
    Staff are not always here to save us. By the time they're here there could be bad things happening. For example: let's suppose a new member (Bob) who uses PocketMine asks when new items will be implemented, and then another member (Bryan) comes and tells Bob that there is a better software (spoon) with much more items and features. Bob will go right for it without thinking twice, not knowing the crap he is using.

BENEFITS - An organized forum, don't we all want it? It will give a good image about our community. Nobody wants to come and look at multiple threads with the same issue.

HOW TO ACCOMPLISH THIS - If there isn't a way to make this possible in XenForo, we could create our own help forum or use one that is already out there (with an approval system).

2. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

But you have to be careful because sometimes there's multiple threads on one topic but each threads question is ever so slightly different

3. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

You mean questions are rarely similar? That's why we would analyze the text programatically and also make the minimal size of the text to a certain amount. We could also suggest similar threads to that usee before they could create one.

4. Jack Noordhuis

Jack Noordhuis Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    Why not restrict new users so they can't make threads until they reach a certain amount of like or posts? This would make sure that threads are fewer in number and would hopefully be less spammy and higher quality. While it somewhat defeats the purpose of the help sections [for newcomers] it would ensure that people actually contribute instead of coming to get help and not contributing anything back.

5. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    (AKA: spoons fork).
    fixed it for you
    irrelevant poll
    just because if i wanted to make pmmp a better place, it dosent meant i will agree or disagree to your thread itself
    offtopics aside:
    for me, i am half for half against,
    but i dont mind it imposed on main threads but i am somewhat against for thread comments

6. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    InspectorGadget
    Sounds good

7. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    Staff members have other things to do than approving threads.

8. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

That is why suggested having to detect it programatically. I know it may not always work but it's a good try. If you don't want to it to be this way, it could be another way, or if you prefer to leave it how it is, but newcomers will ever learn.

9. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    What would be cool too:
    After you click "Post thread" there is a page which shows similar threads and asks sth like "Are you sure your thread isn't a duplicate of one of these?"

10. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

Yeah, that's a good idea, people don't always find it on the search bar.

11. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    I like that idea. Thread Approval would be kinda tedious.

12. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    i rather have the similar threads feature like how pocketmine.net always had it

13. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

That never stops people from making duplicates. :/

14. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    still it helps,
    also how can a program exactly tell if something is duplicate
    since if you just warn them... they will just select the skip button etc

15. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

That's not how I meant it to work. I mean, the system will decide wether to it has similar words to another thread. I also have another idea, why not have a voting system to delete threads when it reaches a certain amount of votes.

16. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    vote to delete, reminds me of something that will never ever likely to even happen:
    voting to remove president, each month residents get to vote to keep or remove the president ...(more rumbling)...
    ok nevermind back on topic i meant bu even IF it can detect similar words what if it is actually require a new thread
    lets say PM api how to do XY
    even tho it is already created what if i just have some question isnt answered on the other thread

17. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

that's an awesome idea id be totally for that just because the quantity of post it would make it much easier to find your problem instead of creating a new thread about it.

That's also a great idea the forum should implement both these features

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.