1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Thoughts on MCPE Realms?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Magicode, May 14, 2017.

?

Realms MCPE?

Poll closed Jun 4, 2017.
  1. Release the Server Software to the Public

78.6%
  2. Keep it secret, keep it safe.

21.4%
  1. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    For MCPE, what do you think about the Realms? Since there really is no other hosting option that actually has Mobs, RedStone, etc.

I am just wondering your thoughts. I, for one, think they should at least release the server software to the public for hosting, and keep realms.

I wonder if Shogi :shoghi: is working on Realms....

2. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    more specific?

3. Sandertv

Sandertv Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    I agree it would be awesome if MCPE would make the thing public, but at the same time I don't. This would mean that PocketMine would immediately fall apart, we wouldn't be able to write php plugins anymore, this community wouldn't exist... Nope, I wouldn't like it.

4. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    What if they don't support plugins?

Enable local multiplayer, port forward phone's IP, tada free and perfect

5. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    You underestimate the value that custom servers have to the community. I don't see big servers using PocketMine porting their code to C# or whatever to run it with the vanilla server instead.

The vanilla server will fill the niche of an MCPE server which provides vanilla gameplay - and only vanilla. I can say for sure the vanilla server isn't fit for hosting large servers. And PocketMine isn't great for hosting a vanilla server.

Some people have made progress in making the MCPE shared object run in headless server mode. It hasn't squashed this community, and nor will an official dedicated server from Mojang.

Mojang have also stated that they intend to release the dedicated server at some stage, but it still needs polish.

You'll have to try harder than that to make me quit.

6. SalmonDE

SalmonDE Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    SalmonDE
    The last line has to be your new status! It sounds so dramatic, perfect!

7. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    tbh I'd love them to release the dedicated server... then people wanting to actually play vanilla on a server could do so and I could get on with development in peace without people complaining.

8. TheDiamondYT

TheDiamondYT Zombie

GitHub:
    TheDiamondYT1
    Then we can get aspiring hackers like me making programs that use DLL Injection to add pllugins and stuff.

Aericio and Thunder33345 like this.
  9. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    wouldnt that be a great references, IF it's open source too? or by doing that we would be bound to EULA

And yes, but now they would loose monopoly over pure vanilla COMPLETE server, and loose their realms i think some realms users dont mind just spinning up a RPI then paying monthly or larger servers/community who wont mind buying their own dedicated server to serve more player slots,
    overall doing this wont really set them forward nor for most servers,
    they rely heavily on plugin more than vanilla features to function like spawn protection plugins,economy,paytowin injector etc which i doubt mcpe official server will have plugin support anyways, or just the cost of hiring people to port exceed the benefit of having vanilla thus making them stay, it only helps and do a favour for the niche like dktapps said or just people cant afford it so rather running it on their own devices...
    But i still doubt why would they want to do it? there's not much pros doing it then keeping it to themself,
    maybe political actions to gain hold of EULA and banishing non EULA compliant servers? or to win the hearts of people then proceed to do something?
    maybe there's more to this, there's hidden motive that we, outsider will never see until it has happen...

HimbeersaftLP and Sandertv like this.
  10. TheDiamondYT

TheDiamondYT Zombie

GitHub:
    TheDiamondYT1
    My thoughts on realms

Redirect pocket.realms.minecraft.net:443 to realms.pmmp.io and list all your PocketMine servers ;)

Thunder33345 likes this.
  11. MCPEChicken_

MCPEChicken_ Silverfish

GitHub:
    mcpechicken
    I like realms a lot, but you can't do much on them, except survival... Oh well

12. Aericio

Aericio Slime

GitHub:
    aericio
    realms is too expensive, and if it's just vanilla, why not keep one minecraft client alive 24/7 and allow it to broadcast world to xbox live? It's only 5 slots but it's the same, right? yay, vanilla! The only thing I like about realms is that redstone works and it's "not" that buggy.

If they made dedicated servers for vanilla, I wonder how much it'll cost?

13. RobotnikMan

RobotnikMan Creeper

GitHub:
    robotnikman
    I bought a Realm recently since I wanted a server which had working redstone, mob spawning, and behavior packs, and I couldnt find one. I

just wanted to run a regular server where people can play and join like regular Minecraft. Still, I wish I had access to plugins like worldedit, essentials, etc, because your really limited with what you can do, even with command blocks (still missing scoreboard and other vital commands). I hope someday pocketmine can be like spigot where it supports the features of a Realms server AND plugins, but that would require Mojang to release an official server version of Minecraft:pE so that the PocketMine team doesnt have to basically reverse engineer the whole damn thing from scratch.

Also, Realms has the upside of being updated to support the latest version immediately, I dont think its the same for PocketMine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.