1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Story of you coming to PocketMine

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Legoboy0215, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Legoboy0215

Legoboy0215 Witch

GitHub:
    legoboy0215
    I will post my own story here soon. What are your stories?

2. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    Because my friend and I wanted to make a server for a PvP project, then discovered the lack of MobAI etc. and then I made a minigame server out of it, and then a freebuold server...

3. Sandertv

Sandertv Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    My story
    One day, about 2,5 years ago, I started playing MCPE on servers. My friends invited me to play it and I happily joined them. I tried logging in with a name I can't remember anymore, but it was aready registered, so my friend quickly turned my name into 'blabla1' and let me join the game. I played a lot on that server, and eventually got an Operator on it. Because I had the power too, I changed my name to 'Blabla'. Over time I learnt more about what exactly a server is and how it works. I came to the old forums just to download the plugins, but I had no idea what pocketmine really was. A couple months later I started my own server; a LEET server. After 2 days I knew LEET just didn't work. Paying for plugins and overall very expensive with no console? Nah that wouldn't do for me. After the 7 days free trial I dropped the server and searched for a proper host, in my case bisecthosting. I had a server there for about a year, and it sometimes reached the top 15 on minecraftpocket-servers.com. I learned about using FTP and about what PocketMine was in that time. I was never happy with the features plugins provided however, so I started developing plugins about 5 months ago. I learnt more and more about PocketMine, and too bad I saw it dying off more and more too. I'm super excited to see that old members in the PocketMine community are coming back now. Hopefully we can 're-live' the age back then.

4. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    still waiting but here goes mine
    FYI i will be referring the time of the event with MCPE version because i cant remember the date nor year

it get into MCPE because of my IRL friend who we played mcpe together with, back in no one knows how long maybe 0.6 or 0.5
    But that's for another time.
    so fast forward to someday where i decided to why not make a server (spoiler it went not so great) which was when i first touch PM (PE 0.7~8)
    and i kind of pick up on plugin dev near this year or so i suppose
    not very sure on that
    but i learn PHP for quite some time then decide to give PM plugin a shot
    only thing i get confused in the beginning was WHY NO ONE TELL ME I NEED TO LEARN OOP
    I guess devs expect people to somehow know OOP even existed

5. Primus

Primus Zombie Pigman

placeholder

6. archie426

archie426 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    archie426
    Quite long, lots of spelling mistakes but :eek: who cares?!
    I first heard of MC around the age of 7, when my friend told me about it. Back then, I thought it was just a 2D game where you get blown up by a 'Creeper' and start again. I never even played it til I became 8 and a half, over a year and a half later. I installed MCPE on my dads' iPad mini. It was then that I finally realized what Minecraft was. So then I looked it up on the internet, and I saw this video, curious, I opened it. It was a recording of people playing Minecraft, as a family. It was amazing, I could not stop watching it for the whole series. Suddenly, all my fiends started to play Minecraft, and before you knew it, I had created an instant mcpe server. It wasn't very good, but better was to come soon.
    I discovered Pocketmine for Android by watching a tutorial. I had never heard of Port Forwarding, so I spent about a month trying to get it to work. But at last, we finally had an MCPE server that hosted my whole year. Now THAT was a fun time!
    It was just when my Android device that hosted the server broke (Because it was a 'Hudl') so I was devastated. My whole WORLD was lost, as I had never even heard of '.dat' files. I did some research so that it didn't happen again and set Pocketmine up on my computer (I didn't know that you had to rename Pocketmine-MP{buildname}.phar then). And once again we had our server back and running. It was then that Minecraft went out of fashion and I stopped using Pocketmine. Soon, my friends were asking for another server. Usually, I would look at what version it was, smile because there had been an update and set it up, but this time, it was different.
    I started using IM when someone referenced it to me on the forums, but I had never realized that it was a spoon. I thought it was just another server software.
    My friends never did join that server, because suddenly there was a craze for Terraria.......
    I came back to Pocketmine in January this year, knowing something, I wanted to help. I probably have not helped Pocketmine in the time that I have been here, but I feel great now, especially after what @dktapps has done.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  7. Dinokiller

Dinokiller Spider Jockey

Found it on minecraftfoums back in early 2013 and had a pretty good time. Don't feel like building walls of text about it though.

8. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    Funfact: I installed MCPE for the first time on my old iPad mini too

Off topic: Now I have a Nvidia Shield Tablet K1 which is cheaper and much faster :p

9. Intyre

Intyre Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    Intyre
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... wait! This isn't Star Wars :oops:

Anyway a long time ago when there was no server software for MCPE Jocopa3 and I started reversing the protocol. After a while Jocopa3 found shoghicp on the spigot forum (I can be wrong). We had many sleepless nights while we slowly figured out more information about the protocol. Jocopa3 and I where working on a server in Java and shoghicp started one in PHP that later was named PocketMine-MP. And the rest everyone knows right? :rolleyes:

tl;dr: You can't get rid of me!
    Information on #mcpedevs:

Information on #PocketMine:

10. Dog2puppy

Dog2puppy Slime

GitHub:
    colesquared
    Is the server software you created official now? Or did it die?

11. Dog2puppy

Dog2puppy Slime

GitHub:
    colesquared
    It all started when I was about 8 years old. I found the external servers button. Not knowing what it was, I went to Google. I then found minecraftpocket-servers.com ran by ListForge. I found a lot of servers and they were leet servers. I played a lot and not undrrstanding things like why I couldn't break blocks, I gave up.

Then, when I was about 9 1/2, I came back and played on LBSG. I had the name Steve when I first joined LBSG, and I read that the name was taken and I needed to choose a different one. I came up with Dog2puppy because I like dogs, puppies, and I like even numbers. I got the name I have today. When I was about 10 1/3 I decided I wanted to make a custom skin. It's the skin I have right now. It's meant to look like I'm wearing a hood because I like hoods because it keeps your head nice and warm. I also have what's the opposite of the creeper face on my back, the smiley face. At the time of making the skin I wanted the opposite of the common creeper face. I started on a server called LuckyCraft. They needed a cop to keep hackers away, and the owner was skeptical about me being the cop because of age, but I got the job. I created CTF and other games there. I then found BloodSword just as LuckyCraft died. I went there, and towards the end of my time there, parents came into my mcpe life. They found out that I had been playing on servers and all. For a while I stopped.

Recently, in June I came back. When I read a thread on ImagicalMine forums, I started learning to make plugins from howtocode.ml. I then made ChatClearer, FoodPoision, PocketCmd (development), and MyMoney (development). Now, here I am today.

12. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    @Intyre deleted it for reasons against the rules of open source! It was a project called PocketServer which taught me the basic knowledge to write a program that receives UDP clients in Java.

13. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    You learnt :shoghi:'s definition of "soon"?
    But we got rid of :shoghi:!

14. Dog2puppy

Dog2puppy Slime

GitHub:
    colesquared
    We never got rid of him. He left. But what will we do if he comes back to us?

15. Sandertv

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    Best to assume he won't, as he probably won't. If he does come back, which seems quite unlikely to me, well... We'll see what will happen.

16. Dog2puppy

Dog2puppy Slime

GitHub:
    colesquared
    Will we tell him to get lodt? Or accept him?

17. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    What? He is part of the team. We just created another GitHub organization due to technical reasons, but we still assume we are actually the same team.
    I don't think Microsoft will give him the chance to come back ;)

18. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    For the price you can get LEET servers for with a couple of plugins, you might as well just get a VPS and stick a server on it.

19. Sandertv

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    Yup. I was quite new to the whole everything and realized that (luckily) just when the free trial ended. :p

20. archie426

archie426 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    archie426
    That is exactly what iamadpond said.... As in the EXACT same words

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.