1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

[RFC] PocketMine Management Panel

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by HittmanA, Dec 5, 2017.

1. HittmanA

HittmanA Zombie

GitHub:
    hittmana
    So some may remember my earlier failed plugin attempt called PocketMine Plugin Manager. After alot of stuff on that didn't work, I realized there was a better way to do what I wanted to do. Thats when I came up with the PocketMine Management Panel. PocketMine Management Panel (PMMP) would be a complete management and maintanence service for PocketMine servers. Whether a pocketmine veteran or a noob, anyone and everyone would benefit from PMMP, and the best part is ITS FREE! I wanted to see what you guys thought of this idea, and if you have any ideas or suggestions or concerns please just reply and let me know.
    Services:
    • Plugin update alerts
    • Automatic plugin updates
    • Plugin suggestions
    • Works over FTP/FTPS/SFTP [In Progress]
    • Easy to use configuration file editor (linting + beautifying) [In Progress]
    • Create polls for players to vote on
    • Your own custom server page
    • Powerful Player Metrics
    • Player Info
    • Pocketmine update alerts
    • Automatic server updates
    • More!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
    That would be awesome!

HittmanA likes this.
  3. HittmanA

HittmanA Zombie

GitHub:
    hittmana
    Thanks! Glad have the first comment be positive! I have already started work on it and hopefully I will have a beta preview ready soon!

Sandertv and EdwardHamHam like this.
  4. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
    Yay! I can't wait :)

5. QuiverlyRivalry

QuiverlyRivalry Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    quiverlyrivalry
    Omg, twins?
    I had the exact same idea for a software written in Go, named GoMine, just a few hours, you posted this..
    0.o
    But, this is really exciting if you can make it. Sounds a bit hard though

HittmanA likes this.
  6. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    nice concept
    but it's like reinventing multicraft(tho honestly it's shit and just overused)
    if it meant suggesting what you should get, but we all know how annoying these are
    I dont think it's a good idea to stuff random features unless i missed something
    creating polls are easy and server page is just random, you should make it seperated like a plugin

7. HittmanA

HittmanA Zombie

GitHub:
    hittmana
    This isn't meant to be a plugin, it is a standalone website. I suppose you are right about polls and server pages being a random feature.

I promise I didn't steal :p

8. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    no i meant the random features should be a plugin of your standalone website rather than be clunked into one

9. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    And an integration in some sort of mcpe themed subdomain service?

10. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    can be done by plugins, and APIs with subdomain services
    tho idrk ones that scales well

HittmanA likes this.
  11. Jack Noordhuis

Jack Noordhuis Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    That's why it is the most used Minecraft server administration, right? We didn't ask for your opinions on CLI alternatives anyway.
    It can be done by the proposed panel through APIs and a sub-domain service. Your point is?

Why cram everything into a plugin and make the server do more? Did you even, for a second, think about the end user before spewing crap all over this thread? If the panel provides a clean and easy to navigate UI cram as many features in as possible! Granted the more features added, the crappier the navigation in most cases.

Don't say I didn't warn you!
    I'd also like you to guide us through your thought process of turning a server administration panel into a plugin. Sure, you could probably find a way to integrate the features directly via a plugin and display an online representation using something like Volt but the question still remains, why? We're talking about a minecraft server here, there is no need to degrade the performance of the server to add all these features when they can just be added to a server administration panel.

12. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    correct; because they have a monopoly, as in simply put no one want to make an alternate non crappy solution, see buycraft, it's the same problem, if someone ware to make something as good as buycraft but open sourced people would prefer using it(or at least consider as it gave a profit boost)
    it's in brackets for a reason(begin that, it's unrelated to main point)
    point begin, we shouldnt cram unrelated features into the panel, we instated should make a plugin support for the panel, to keep the junk away but reachable for these who wished it

Before i move any forward, when i say plugin, i meant plugin for the panel, NOT plugins for the server(pm) in this case

if you crammed it into the panel or the panel plugin, it still do the same amount of work, it's just if you made it into plugin, you make it optional

why me? maybe you should ask that guy who suggested you should turn it into a [pmmp server] plugin

lets evaluate pros and cons for each architecture of control
    (direct)a panel generated by PMMP plugin:
    pros
    direct, every actions are directly carried out
    no 3rd/2nd party needed to host your panel
    have filesystem access
    cons
    extra load
    you cant really execute commands related to server's lifecycle
    you cant do reboot restart
    problem goes even deeper when you want to start the server(since you can only access the panel after the server has started)
    stopping means you have no easy way to start it back

personally, not begin able to control a server's lifecycle is a very major flaw, example: what if your server unexpectedly crashed?
    have fun then!

(remote controlled)a panel live separately off some free web host and there's a plugin on the server that allow connections
    pros
    not so much load(??) as in your panel isnt hosted by your plugin
    cons
    cant control server's life cycle(same as critical as above)
    problem of control, you would need to make a 2 way control, like how can the panel tell the server to do X and allowing the server to respond with Y

(controlled)a panel which runs on the same space as the server
    pros
    can control server's lifecycle
    have filesystem access(since the panel lives the same space as the server
    preferably works clean cut without a bridge plugin on the PM server(unless for optional features which accompanied with the panel plugins)
    cons
    still need a 2way control
    unless you count rcon/direct console input but these method are very limited without installing a bridge plugin, in a way it's limited when you need to execute code
    even with a bridging plugin, you still need some method to bridge, open a sock to yourself? read commands.json file? or what?

13. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    if you are wondering why should this panel have a plugin system:

if you dont have plugins, you make it hard to tailor a setup to certain individual who may wish things to be ran diffrently, without a plugin system their only choice is to edit the core files(which make it difficult to follow updates), which is not user friendly nor developer friendly

if you have a plugin system, anyone could customise their setup to suit themself without needing the knowledge to edit core files, all they need to know is to download off some site[/or write their own!] and upload it to their panel!

14. HittmanA

HittmanA Zombie

GitHub:
    hittmana
    Maybe I didn't explain some parts of the panel well enough. The panel would be on a seperate website (pmmanagementpanel.com?) where you make an account. You enter the ftp, sftp, or ftps info for your server as well as the server's ip and port. After that the panel simply uses ftp to control the server with no bridging plugin on the server.

15. jasonwynn10

jasonwynn10 Moderator Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    jasonwynn10
  16. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    There's the first problem

Thunder33345 likes this.
  17. HittmanA

HittmanA Zombie

GitHub:
    hittmana
    I didn't see that before. I'm going to test it out to see how similar it is.

18. HittmanA

HittmanA Zombie

GitHub:
    hittmana
    Why? There would be clear instructions on how to find these.

19. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    So you expect people being able to read? That's sadly not something such people are up to...

20. HittmanA

HittmanA Zombie

GitHub:
    hittmana
    Video tutorial? I mean that is information that is necessary so I have to get it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.