1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Suggestion Recreate PocketMine on java

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by CookieCode, Apr 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CookieCode

CookieCode Silverfish

GitHub:
    CookieCode
    Hello, today I want to give my opinion on the software that was created, I think it would be better to stop immediately projects related to the PHP, there are so many problems with this programming language ... It would be necessary to simply put in the Java to be able to advance evolve in the technology of the software creates dedicated for mcpe, it would simply have to recreate a software worthy of the name rather than to concentrate on PocketMine-MP, I think 'It would be necessary to recreate a bukkit, which would be able to do the same things as on PC and to take into account all the plugins that are already available on PC, it would be so much a "revolution" for the creation of server. Sorry for my bad english.

2. TheDiamondYT

TheDiamondYT Zombie

GitHub:
    TheDiamondYT1
    Okay, let me start this off:

WHAT THE ACTUAL F*CK

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  3. Irish

Irish Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    irishpacks
    While it may be a good idea to introduce a good software in Java(lord knows Nukkit isn't that great, and Voxelwind is a bit dead as of now), we do not want to make Pocketmine the base, Nukkit did the same thing and ended up really screwing up. It's best to just restart from scratch, and go off of the official server software, and Bukkit as needed.

4. TheDiamondYT

TheDiamondYT Zombie

GitHub:
    TheDiamondYT1
    WHAT!? You are telling us to completely abandon a project that has been in development for several years?

Name 3. There are problems with all programming languages.

So you are saying "Java is the future"? So im guessing iPhones are the future of phones?

PocketMine is already a recreation of Bukkit. If anything we need to change the API.

5. Matthew

Matthew Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    matthww
    *clicks button* poof we just converted PocketMine-MP into java. Wow all the bugs and issues are gone and it's so fast!! Why didn't we do this earlier?

It doesn't work like this. A software development like this takes a long time. And you need to maintain constantly.

6. TheDiamondYT

TheDiamondYT Zombie

GitHub:
    TheDiamondYT1
    PocketMine has been in development for years and he expects it to be rewritten. "Stop all work on PHP now"

7. corytortoise

corytortoise Skeleton

GitHub:
    corytortoise
    I believe dktapps, SOFe, Intyre, and the others on the PMMP team have taken this all into consideration, and decided continuing PocketMine in PHP was the best idea. I believe this has been brought up before, but PHP is not the problem. The current structure of PM is. That's why they are rewriting a lot of the core. Plus, MCPE and MCPC are written in different languages, yet plugins like BigBrother can exist. If any one programming language was so much better than the others, we wouldn't have the variety of languages in use today. Java may be a little faster, but PHP has it's advantages too, like being weakly-typed, which makes it way easier for us. Many people in this community are new to programming, and having to deal with the strict rules of Java would only make it harder for them.

8. Matthew

Matthew Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    matthww
    I hope you are realizing that I was being sarcastic?

9. TheDiamondYT

TheDiamondYT Zombie

GitHub:
    TheDiamondYT1
    Yes i was adding on to what you said

10. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

So you actually think rewriting PocketMine in Java will solved everything like magic? If the language was the only problem, Java wouldn't even be an optional language to rewrite PocketMine

11. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    OMFG STOP WRITING BS CODE ON SOME BS LANGUAGE
    ALL HAIL MACHINE CODE!
    dont even think about java or c machine code for the win!

12. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    Yeeeah, high level programming is for n00bs. #MachineLanguageMasterRace

13. CookieCode

CookieCode Silverfish

GitHub:
    CookieCode
    Hello, actually i see the work you have done during these 1 year, this is a remarkable job! I can also understand that the PHP language can have her advantages, and that everyday the coders of the Software work on it, but try to put you in the place of the users of this software, people only wait for the big updates , But not the small update in the coding, it seeks to see the enchantments, new block, sounds, mobs (not available because of PHP optimization ... I know ...) ... That's what people want to see. Sorry for my bad english... :/

14. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Every day we are chasing for improvements. And every time something improves, it will only appear as worse until someone gets used to it.
    [​IMG]
    Never forget that human wants are unlimited. Be resources scarce or not, or time-limited, wants will only rise, unless there is a change in the universal mindset. This summarizes all that I want to say.
    I never agreed with that. I just wanted to have something to do, and I don't care whether the server is fast at all. I don't even have MCPE installed in my phone :)
    In my opinion, there is no real good solution at all given the environment here.
    I know that many people will stop reading this post at the middle enraged by my pessimism that seems to bring away the meaning of this thread. If you can't accept my view, just skip and go on with your life, whatever you can do the next second.
    Yes, I know that my post is very self-refuting. Isn't this what we are all doing? We want to avoid death and ageing, yet every second we are breathing and beating our heart and carrying out metabolism to push our life towards ageing and death. This is life.

The community
    Everyone is ambitious to be what they feel more superior. People who don't play Minecraft want to play Minecraft so that they aren't outdated. People who play singleplayer want to play multiplayer so that they can "follow the trends closely". People who play the game want to be YouTubers because that makes them and "famous". People who play on servers want to "ask for staff (no 's' here)". People who have some power on servers want to own a server so that they don't have a boss. People who run a server want "cool" features they see on other servers and ask for plugins. People who ask for plugins decide that they don't want to beg for plugins and make their own utilized the clipboard to "produce" plugins. People who produce plugins decide that they don't want to be subject to API changes (how many even know what API changes are?) just a forum member and join the (spoon) server software development industrial (development is a growth in knowledge whereas industrial production is replicating existing products, which only existed in the world of hardware but somehow got its feet in the virtual world) team. Spoon teams feel that their software is not popular enough and they don't have enough sense of pride, so they promote their own spoons and attack others, and once their own ones fail, they create another one.
    What kind of world is this? As the maxim goes, life is a dream and the world is a lie. The cake is a lie, the block is a lie, the Minecraft game world is a lie, and the whole world is still a lie. A pyramid scheme.
    One word concludes all: individualism.

The game
    Ask Microsoft to spare us a breath and delay its updates. Almost all the time server software development is spent on chasing behind the protocol changes and updates in game mechanism. What are we even trying to achieve here? Innovating our own software? Disobedience on the price of Realms? "Serving the people"? Or just letting the game development lead all the way and blindly follow it? Yes, blindly. Reverse engineering the protocol and make an adapter for it (i.e. what a server software is) is to blindly follow the protocol by definition. What could probably be productively created? At least, for me, I never fancy having humans do what a computer can do, from what Git does (not copying code!) to what an imaginary program does. (In a pragmatic perspective, make a robot that updates a server software from the game) Asking a human born in the 21st century to do specific programming is as insulting to human intelligence as asking a human born after the invention of horse carriages to pull a cart.

The users
    Meanwhile, what do our dearest honourable users expect? "Just give me what he has. Better give it to me before giving it to him." tells the ultimate want of the majority. Good, now we are back into the Minecraft world -- make a few mobs, let's see who gets hits first, Steve's Sharpness V Fire Aspect II Knockback II diamond sword with Strength II and Speed II 5 blocks of reach, or the zombie's short hands that disappears upon switching to peaceful mode. Yay! I am the best! I managed to ask someone to make me that plugin teach me what code to copy and I learn flexibly and I know that you can use Microsoft Excel to generate numbers from 102 to 1000. I will copy it to the ACCEPTED_PROTOCOLS array, and I did hard work! I added the commas behind each number! Now my server can let 1.0.7 and 1.0.8 and 1.0.9 players join and yours can't!

The players
    What do you use to run your server? I heard that Bukkit is better. You have enderdragons there. Change to Bukkit!
    (Remember, most server owners come from players in the pyramid scheme theory)
    I must admit, there is much prejudice and assumption here. But this is what the worst of it is like, if not the majority.

Yes, I am a negative person. I always lead a pessimistic view on life, no matter big or small things. I even find the need to eat an annoying disadvantage of the human race. There is a theory that you should treat the inevitable as joy to lead a happy life. Death is inevitable, but who would find it joyful? Alright, this scope is too big. Then find the hope of achieving self-fulfillment by achieving nothing. This is more practical than the self-deceiving that you can physically do something physically impossible.
    I hope you can understand the irony in this post and don't take everything too serious. Yet, irony is as true as reality itself, just like death is as true as life, just like non-existence is as existent as existence. (A `void` return type is still a return type, just like an int return type is -- if you fail to understand this, it is a problem in your mind to accept those different from yourself) (The truth is always ironic. Open the newspaper and you can find that almost every article contains something ironic compared to what you see the previous day)
    This is exactly what I have been talking about. Nobody cares what quality code you write. Nobody cares whether your software can still be updated one year later however carefully you have planned. Nobody cares whether your server can be switch between Survival mode or Creative mode, because they just need to uninstall this and install that. I don't care it works slower, because however you improve the performance TPS is still below 20 because I run my 500-slot server on my Nokia 3310. As long as you add some melamine to the server mixture, I'm happy.

15. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP

16. Sandertv

Sandertv Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    To be honest, PocketMine is already recreated in Java. Nukkit. It's simply PocketMine but in Java, and because the structure isn't exactly ideal, the performance isn't either.

17. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Regarding the problem with plugins, a server software in Java has the advantage that it can implement the Bukkit API and load its plugins directly. Probably a lot of UnsupportedOperationExceptions though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.