1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Recomend player slots per 1 gig of ram.

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by TheShinPin, Sep 22, 2017.

1. TheShinPin

TheShinPin Baby Zombie

What would you recomend in amount of player slots per gig of ram, I have a server with 10 gigs, ive always thought 10 per 1 gig of ram.

2. Jack Noordhuis

Jack Noordhuis Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    I've had servers with over 50 players use around 200-500MB's of RAM, PocketMine doesn't require much RAM to run. I'd be looking for a powerful CPU if you're worried about performance.

jasonwynn10 and HimbeersaftLP like this.
  3. TheShinPin

TheShinPin Baby Zombie

So in your experience for 1 gig of ram how many player slots do you recommend

4. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
    He just said, it depends more on your CPU.

jasonwynn10 and Jack Noordhuis like this.
  5. sharletsings123

sharletsings123 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    sharletk
    You don't get it don't you?
    Better get good at it because what JackNoordhuis and @Edwardthedog2 said is its depends moreover over your CPU.

6. Muqsit

Muqsit Chicken

GitHub:
    muqsit
    10 gigs of RAM? That sounds like a strange number for RAM.

7. QuiverlyRivalry

QuiverlyRivalry Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    quiverlyrivalry
    I use 1 GB and can run 20 players comfortable... you shouldn’t have made fun of my server on how poor and how much it was lacking shin

8. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    10000000, or to put it;
    as much as you can fill without feeling any differences

Player limit based on ram is just one of these things server hosting company made to make you buy more then you ever need or will ever use

9. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
    And if you have a good CPU than you should be able to fit much much more. Like we said, it's not RAM that matters the most with PocketMine.

10. WinterBuild7074

WinterBuild7074 Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    winterbuild7074
    Servers with 1 GB RAM and 2 cores? Servers with 1 GB and 6 cores?

11. TheShinPin

TheShinPin Baby Zombie

Why shoudnt I have?

12. TheShinPin

TheShinPin Baby Zombie

I have a 10 Gig of ram server with 3 cores, how many player slots do you think I should have?

13. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    InspectorGadget
    If I were you, I'd remove those RAM and use the required amount of RAM and then invest some on getting more Core or even a CPU upgrade. It's all depending on your hoster. I feel like 10GB for RAM is slightly overkill.

14. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    10GB of RAM is probably enough to store 10000+ player objects (I am too lazy to actually test how much ram a player allocates). The question is always, how are your players spread (chunks loaded), view distance and plugins.
    But I'd say you can safely assume 100player per gig with max view distance and many bad plugins.
    But as the other recommended it's better to go for cpu. Aim for 4.2Ghz first, then for cores. PMMP performance barely improves with more cores than 2. Just aim for the highest core freq, and 4cores are more than enough. A fast storage (SSD for example) can also help.

jasonwynn10 and sharletsings123 like this.
  15. TheShinPin

TheShinPin Baby Zombie

All players are usually in 1 small arena. Not much is being loaded.

16. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    Well, on my server RAM per player is ~5MB (my server is a bad mess), if a player is already in the area the player spawned in. So you can fit ~200players in 1GB.

17. WinterBuild7074

WinterBuild7074 Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    winterbuild7074
    I have a server too. It has 1 GB RAM and 2 cores. How many players can fit into my server (without crash every 30 minutes)?

18. TheShinPin

TheShinPin Baby Zombie

The thing i mainly care about is how smooth the experience will be, I dont want it to lag when their are players on, so I always underball it.

19. sharletsings123

sharletsings123 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    sharletk
    That's what most people want and care about. But the main thing to note here that it depends upon your choice. The best you choose the best you get. The worst you choose then you will surely know the output.

Also you can't have a 100% Lag Proff server with a lot of plugin, there will be lags here and there.

20. TheShinPin

TheShinPin Baby Zombie

Of course, im ok with some lag here and there, but i dont want it to be lagging every second. Which again is why I underball it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.