1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Raspberry pi 2 server thoughts and tips for me

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by monkey, Jan 15, 2017.

1. monkey

monkey Spider

Who else has this? What limitations do you see? I have it set for 20 max players but wonder if it would slow down. I made a server on my i7 16gb ram machine and the difference was the horizon loaded quicker. But that really isn't an option so I have a pi always on running the world.

2. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    I run my server on a Raspberry Pi 2 and it works great for about 8 people MAX, then it starts to lag something fierce. I would recommend optimizing your Pocketmine.yml and server.properties for your situation, like Chunk Caching.

applqpak likes this.
  3. monkey

monkey Spider

Chuck caching? Sorry pretty new to this.

4. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    It's a setting in Pocketmine.yml for Minigame servers. It helps out a lot when your server doesn't allow player to break blocks, because it saves each chunk so it doesn't have to load them all the time. If you have a normal survival/creative server, and your players are breaking/placing blocks a lot, then you don't have to worry about it, because it won't boost your performance.

applqpak likes this.
  5. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    It isn't the actual loading it is trying to prevent from happening too often, it's the encoding for sending.

Magicode likes this.
  6. João Mealha

João Mealha Creeper

I want to use my pi 2 as a MC-pe server is ther any tutorial? And i want to play on ios app 1.0.2 any help? Sorry noob XD

7. Muqsit

Muqsit Chicken

GitHub:
    muqsit
    I used my pi 3 to host a server before, and it successfully handled 24 players. I couldn't get more players to join the server.

I'm sure 512 MB RAM (as in pi2) is enough for at least those many players, considering optimization being your priority.

8. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    Doesn't the Pi2 have 1gb of ram?

9. robske_110 (Tim)

GitHub:
    robske110
    yes it does.
    I would not run a server on a rbpi2 for more than max 10 players. No plugins at all that is. And only one world, very central. You will hit limits everywhere. 900MHZ are just really really low. 1.2GHZ aren't much more on paper but you'll feel the difference.

10. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    Get some liquid nitrogen and overclock it to over 9000 Ghz xD

Muqsit likes this.
  11. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    Yeah, I overclock mine. A little ClearLagg here and there, and with under 10 players my server runs fine.

12. robske_110 (Tim)

GitHub:
    robske110
    I don't understand how people think ClearLagg will actually help clearing lag. We don't tick most entities and we don't create any. It's just a memory cleaner. Prevent those entities from spawning instead of just nuking them because you think they do lag.

13. Muqsit

Muqsit Chicken

GitHub:
    muqsit
    Yeah, on my server, it's the tile ticks that cause TPS drops.

14. ThunderOrfali

ThunderOrfali Creeper

Any one can help setting up pmmp server on rpi 3 as the script gives some error on PHP, the script tries to download php then I found bin folder empty

15. SteveDev386

SteveDev386 Silverfish

GitHub:
    dschwartz783
    I was able to get pmmp running on a RPI3, but in order to do so, you will now need a 64-bit operating system, which the raspberry pi does not come with. You'll have to download the aarch64 release of OpenSUSE for the RPI3. I have successfully managed to get PMMP running on it, after figuring out how OpenSUSE works. It's a very different sort of Linux. Not bad, but different. :)

Also, the install scripts for PMMP do not work on aarch64. It assumes that all 64-bit architectures are x86_64, so it needs some fiddling. I can help you figure it out if you're interested.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    sharletsings123 and Muqsit like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.