1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

RAM v CPU

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by QuiverlyRivalry, Oct 25, 2017.

1. QuiverlyRivalry

QuiverlyRivalry Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    quiverlyrivalry
    Hi,
    I am not really sure.
    I am making a Factions Server, its going to have at least 4 worlds.
    Many hosts say that more RAM better performance... but for Factions is this the case? Or is it judged on CPU for example my host has 4.5 GHz of CPU. But only 1024 MB ram. Would this be good to host with 20 playerrs online simetaneously (ugh i cant spell today xD)
    @KittyDev

2. Sandertv

Sandertv Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    20 players online with 1024 MB ram is more than sufficient. RAM is random access memory, it won't make your server performance better. You are looking for a better CPU. You do of course need sufficient RAM, but the amounts offered are often more than you actually need.

EdwardHamHam and QuiverlyRivalry like this.
  3. QuiverlyRivalry

GitHub:
    quiverlyrivalry
    So, how much players can I run comfotably. Note some players are pvping in another world. Some mining. Some building. And some hacking ofc.

4. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
  5. QuiverlyRivalry

GitHub:
    quiverlyrivalry
  6. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
    I've never had that exact amount, so I'm not sure.

7. SleepSpace9

SleepSpace9 Slime

GitHub:
    sleepspace9
    I must add here that RAM was playing a role when PocketMine (and forks) had many memory leaks. Today I'm always happy to see the same small amount of used memory when executing the status command - no matter how long the server is running.
    So many thanks to @dktapps using his time and skills to improve the quality and reliability of pmmp! :)

SOFe likes this.
  8. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    General rule of thumb: Look for best CPU performance over lots of memory - you don't need lots of RAM. Prefer high GHz per core, and you don't need ridiculous numbers of cores - 2 or 4 should do fine. 4.5GHz will do fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.