1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Solved RAM required per players

Discussion in 'Help' started by MalakasPlayzMCPE, Aug 8, 2018.

1. MalakasPlayzMCPE

MalakasPlayzMCPE Zombie Pigman

So lets suppose I have a server with 80/100 players online, I would like to know how many GBs of RAM are required to handle them. I want to prevent lag and other stuff for the better experience for my players.

2. hikingjungle

hikingjungle Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    hikingjungle
    i have handled 40+ players on 4 gb while playing the game on that same device

3. MalakasPlayzMCPE

So was that a server hosted from your phone actually (single player)? There is a command to set the max players not to be 5 so please do not reply with :facepalm:

Single player servers have no plugins, it is not same. If it is like that though, I need 8-10 GB, right?

4. hikingjungle

hikingjungle Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    hikingjungle
    no it was on my laptop on my pmmp server (which is hosted on that laptop)

5. hikingjungle

hikingjungle Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    hikingjungle
    8gb should be fine

6. notdrewdev

notdrewdev Spider Jockey

GitHub:
    drewsucksatlife
    I feel like this is a common misconception with PM server hosting. You don’t need a ton of RAM to host a big server, what you need is cores, PHP is more CPU hungry instead of RAM hungry. The more cores the better, you could probably do with 2-3 gigabytes of RAM and have a decent amount of cores, 4-6 cores, which is probably enough to host for ~80 players.

7. SkyZone

SkyZone Slime

Nahh,
    it depends on how many and what plugins you are using. If the plugins store much data in RAM, then you of course need much RAM. If the plugins instead use much CPU, then more cores would be good.

8. notdrewdev

notdrewdev Spider Jockey

GitHub:
    drewsucksatlife
    I’m almost certain that you don’t know what you’re talking about

OnTheVerge, EdwardHamHam and Muqsit like this.
  9. hikingjungle

hikingjungle Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    hikingjungle
    i have 12 cores @4.1 ghz and 8gb of ram
    (laptop i mentiond has 4gb ram 4cores @1 ghz

10. MalakasPlayzMCPE

My plugins are not that much but most of them have thousands of lines of code.

11. MalakasPlayzMCPE

So, this post's purpose is not to advertise, so please do not warn me. I want to know what is the best plan to use from here: https://ramshard.com/minecraft-pocket
    24 USD are a lot for me.

12. Tee7even

Tee7even Slime

GitHub:
    tee7even
    You don't need "a lot of cores" either. PM will mostly use only one because of it's mostly single-threaded design.

Look for higher CPU frequency rather than number of cores.

13. MalakasPlayzMCPE

14. hikingjungle

hikingjungle Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    hikingjungle
    any of the top three would be fine i would go for the compass and if that doesn't work you can always go for the next one up
    (you cant host on your pc?)

15. corytortoise

corytortoise Skeleton

GitHub:
    corytortoise
    Obviously, the most expensive plan would likely run the fastest, as there is more excess RAM. As for efficiency, it depends on what plugins you plan on using, how many levels are loaded at one time, how quickly players are loading/generating/unloading chunks, etc. There are far, far too many variables for anyone to know what hardware is the best in every scenario, much less one with as little information as player count. Assuming the CPU is fast enough, 1 or 2 GB Ram should be enough, assuming players aren't just constantly loading chunks. And like was mentioned earlier, if it doesn't run like you want, you can upgrade(or look into a VPS, a much better alternative).

Muqsit likes this.
  16. MalakasPlayzMCPE

Ok, thanks. So I will use the compass plan.

17. Muqsit

Muqsit Chicken

GitHub:
    muqsit
    They have a very vague representation of servers. If you know how to set up pocketmine from scratch, shop for a VPS or a dedicated server (kimsufi, an OVH partner provides them at a very reliable price). You could potentially spend less or more for the same thing and also get infinite slots. But it's hard to tell which one is better in this case since RamShard hasn't provided anything other than 2 GB ram and infinite storage.

corytortoise likes this.
  18. MalakasPlayzMCPE

I know... do you know any better hosting service, cheaper or not? I heard good stuff about ramshard, this is why I was going to buy from there. Is a VPS cheaper?

19. Destroyer57

Destroyer57 Zombie

There is never a exact number of RAM you require for your server since it depends on your plugins and how your players are spreading. You can setup Virtual RAM on Windows if your pc does not have enough .

20. MalakasPlayzMCPE

I have 32-bit

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.