1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

PMMP Development - From First Commit, How PocketMine died and how it revived.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by xBeastMode, Nov 19, 2016.

1. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

Hello, guys, this is a thread to show some information about the PMMP/PocketMine-MP development.

Full video since first commit:

Credits and Music at the end of the video.

First commit: Friday, October 19th, 2012
    Last commit: Friday, November 18th, 2016

Main contributors:
    - Shoghi Cervantes Puerto (PocketMine-MP Founder)
    - @Intyre (PocketMine-MP/PMMP Team)
    - PEMapModder (Former PocketMine-MP developer)
    - Michael Yoo (PocketMine-MP Team, also known as sekjun9878)
    - @dktapps (PMMP Team)

Full List of Contributors can be found at: https://github.com/pmmp/PocketMine-MP/graphs/contributors

How did PocketMine-MP die?

Background:
    PocketMine-MP development started in 2012 by Shoghi Cervantes Pueyo. An awesome community started growing and many awesome developers started to be attracted, and many of those developers started developing their awesome plugins.

Why:
    [Theory] --
    Shoghi Cervantes Pueyo (the founder) was the main developer of the software. A few months after he joined Mojang, they prohibited him to continue developing PocketMine, due to realms coming to MCPE. I assume he wanted to keep his job and therefore had to obey Mojang and discontinue the development of PocketMine-MP. The community began to slowly die, and many know members started to become inactive, and thoughts started to come about the death of PocketMine-MP. Many of us asked "is this the death of PocketMine?"

How did PocketMine-MP revive?

Background:
    The community was tired that shoghi was not coming back, we still had the hope that PocketMine-MP could come back to life.

How: luckily an amazing developer, known as @dktapps decided to continue the development of PocketMine-MP on a fork called PMMP. Now there's this forum growing again with many awesome people!
    #PMMP_FTW

Video Production Informaion:
    • Video produced/generated using gource. https://github.com/acaudwell/Gource (Github repository commit video visualization)
    • Video Edited using Sony Vegas Pro 13 (Paid video editing software)
    • Video recorded using Action! (Paid screen recording software)
    • PMMP/PocketMine-MP source code: https://github.com/pmmp/PocketMine-MP
    • I am not trying to advertise, only showing the information for those who want to know what I used to produce this video.
    NOTE: Even though the video is in bad quality, the video took a lot of patience to record, edit, and upload, so I apologize that I wasn't able to improve the quality.

If you want a video like this for your personal repository, send me a message on my profile page with following format:
    [Your game repository URL] - gource video request.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. HBIDamian

HBIDamian HBIDamian Staff Member

GitHub:
    HBIDamian
    No, this is how PMMP Came to be! !
    pmmp ppap.png

jasonwynn10 likes this.
  3. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    I already wanted to edit the original Video to this, but my favorite cutting software only supports two layers...

4. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    I wonder how hard it can be, downloading gource and starting the gource command?

5. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    I love the tree just exploding as the API 1.0.0 brought a big restruture with it

6. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

Some people don't have PC though. :(

7. archie426

archie426 Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    archie426
    Ugh, it bugged me for ages, I have Windows

8. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    One correction I feel I should make: the software is still PocketMine-MP. PMMP is the organisation name of the reformed PocketMine Team.

9. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

I know :)

10. Primus

Primus Zombie Pigman

Everyone is so dramatizing about this :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.