1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

PMMP APP

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by LargeArt7338551, Feb 15, 2017.

1. LargeArt7338551

LargeArt7338551 Silverfish

GitHub:
    largeart7338551
    I noticed that the Pocketmine App Seems Really Old And Outdated; We ought to make a NEW app with the latest builds and phars, OR we could give the current app a HUGE makeover

2. Magicode

Magicode Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    magicode1
    The New Developers do not have access to the google play account that the app is under. It would be impractical to host a server on an android or iOS, and so many have abandoned the project. A simple search of the forums will direct you to other threads where people have asked similar questions.

HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  3. LargeArt7338551

GitHub:
    largeart7338551
    Okay then

4. 99leonchang

99leonchang Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    99leonchang
    32 bit support will likely be dropped soon if it hasn't been already, which renders a server app rather useless as most phones are 32 bit.

Marabou likes this.
  5. LargeArt7338551

GitHub:
    largeart7338551
    Unless you have a phablet

6. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    It has absolutely nothing to do with that

7. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

*facepalm* with that said it truly does seem like a good idea tell u realize your phone has like a gig of ram and the CPU is slow as Christmas..... phablets tablets phones whatever they are not good for running servers plain and simple its just not gonna have anywhere near the speed and quality of a computer or dedicated server. also they cant be running 24/7 which is what people want in a server

HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  8. closetmonkey

closetmonkey Creeper

GitHub:
    closetmonkey
    I know I'm jumping into an old conversation, but I'm wondering why you believe this? Android will likely be predominately 64 bit before the related server technologies drop 32 bit support. Consumer technologies move very quickly because "features" are easier to market than maturity and stability. Much of the technology used by NASA and DOD is ancient at first glance, but only because development goes into reliability, security, and longevity as opposed to upgrades to satisfy current tends and cutting edge features. As for PHP, around 93% of servers are still using PHP5 with many requiring 32 bit. PHP7 just barely has more market share than PHP4 even though it was released almost 3 years ago. Completely dropping 32 bit support would be a catastrophe to many service providers

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  9. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    I (partially) agree with all your points, except for that one, "why?" you may ask, well, Intel and AMD didn't make any 32 bit CPUs since 2003! (except for one Intel Atom which isn't relevant to server hosts anyways) I bet with you that you won't find a server host that's not scam and has reasonable performance for a MCPE Server that uses 32 bit hardware

10. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    FYI: 32 bit support has already been dropped a while ago and I haven't seen any big server or server host go bankrupt yet.

These are mostly webservers, and surprise surprise, most webservers are already 64 bit...

The only real things that are often still 32 bit today are ARM CPUs, found it almost all Smartphones, Tablets and IoT devices.

According to my sources it's because of money and because they don't want to re)teach staff to new systems

11. closetmonkey

closetmonkey Creeper

GitHub:
    closetmonkey
    How is it not supported? Mainstream 64 bit processors are actually 16/32/64 bit hybrids (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64) - in other words that cutting edge i7 still supports 16 bit which makes the idea of 32 bit systems rapidly becoming obsolete pretty silly. Mainstream 64 bit OS's still support 32 bit software and are not likely to stop soon because of their companies current investments in 32 bit mobile platforms. Some desktop Linux variants are starting to explore dropping 32 bit distributions but will be locked into supporting their last 32 bit desktop for generally 4 years after that eventually comes. Linux kernel development still actively supports 32 bit (and even 16 bit and 8 bit for that matter). As for webservers, your correct, most run on 64 bit hardware but many thousands run in 32 bit containers. As for mobile devices the main question is when a 64 bit SOC can be cost effectively put into a $15 device for developing countries - that will be when 32 bit mobiles become over shadowed by 64 bit systems. Many believe that point will be sooner than later due price drops in 64 bit hardware (see raspberry pi for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi). As for government staffing, that's obvious hyperbole and could only be taken seriously if one could believe that the gov hasn't been willing to retrain anybody since the 90's, when if fact most relevant positions require current IT certification and the gov invests heavily in R&D.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  12. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    How is any of these points relevant to that PocketMine dropped 32 bit support?

Yeah, and my webbrowser can emulate 8bit systems, does that make them less obsolete?

They support it because much (obsolete) software is still 32 bit, and that's mostly because 32 bit wimdows is usually cheaper so people have that on their 64 bit machines instead (fyi, almost every usable x86 PC nowadays is 64 bit), also I think you mixed something up here, what do desktop OSes have to do with mobile platforms?

And? So according to that statement you think 16 and 8 bit systems should be supported by every software too?

Webservers don't need 64 bit anyways, PocketMine does, if you knew how many bugs 32 bit systems cause....

Not sure if any of these "15$ phones" you mentioned would even be fast enough to run a server for more than 5 players.

Jack Noordhuis and EdwardHamHam like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.