1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Ping Measure

Discussion in 'Requests' started by TheClimbing, Feb 15, 2017.

1. TheClimbing

TheClimbing Spider Jockey

GitHub:
    theclimbing
    I thought that the Ping and Pong packets can be used to actually measure your latency and show it with command.Does anybody knows how to do it?

2. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    AFAIK, you can only ping the client, you cant ask the client for their ping

3. TheClimbing

TheClimbing Spider Jockey

GitHub:
    theclimbing
    Hmm but when the client sends Ping and the server responds Pong can't you calculate the ms for which the server responds with the Pong packet?

4. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    i am assuming the ping by client is a /ping
    the issue is, we dont know when the client sent /ping we can only know they DID send a /ping
    i personally think something like a packet which would make the client send a respond packet should do the trick
    we can get away with dividing 2 on the time it take and it should be as accurate as it can be

5. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    There is a Ping plugin on Im******M*** forums, I think it uses the method with the response packet, but it's not very accuarte

6. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    no, that IM plugin uses IMPC Ping not the kind of ping packet we wanted, we wanted the ping of the client not their router which can be configured to delay respond or even to completely drop/void the ping packet

i guess for now we could just ask player to do /XYZ cmd and measure the latency

7. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    Due to the current raklib implementation it is not possible. You could do it by modifying raklib.

8. Thunder33345

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    now we awaits someone to make a fork just to be able to get ping

HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  9. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    Let's call it PocketPingSpoon - The ideal spoonlution for spooning.. Uhm.. Pinging players!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.