1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Php Knowledge

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by torudro, Jun 27, 2017.

1. torudro

torudro Creeper

How much Php knowledge is required to start making plugins for pocketmine? Would anyone mind pointing me in the direction of a tutorial that would give me the necessities to know for poccketmine, as well as a pocketmine plugin tutorial? Thanks.

2. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    You don't need any PHP knowledge. You just need to have an open mind to keep learning and a sense of humility to stop yourself from being too ambitious, just like a baby trying to run before learning to walk.

3. torudro

torudro Creeper

Well just like any other software I figured it would be nice, as with any other software people would tell me to learn the language that it is based on first. Mind pointing me in direction of some pocketmine tutorials that yourself found useful?

4. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    I personally find learning the full volume PHP and reading the source code or works of others by yourself is more efficient than learning off tutorials because it's proving you are not ready yet to be doing PMMP plugins yet

5. torudro

torudro Creeper

Okay I'm confused as that contradicts what @SOFe said.

6. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    Then stop posting on this forum or writing any code until you have learnt every single feature of PHP.
    You're asking people to do something hat you can't even do yourself.
    PHP is a great language developed over about 20 years' time. Now you're asking people to learn every single part of it?

7. mal0ne_23

mal0ne_23 Spider Jockey

GitHub:
    mal0ne-23
    SOFe is correct. I'm always learning something new in PHP, and still have a crap ton I don't know. All it really takes to start making plugins is a little bit of knowledge in PHP, like the basics. How to create a class with a namespace is kind of where you can start.

If you don't know ANY php at all, I recommend Codecademy, that's where I started over a year ago, learning the very basics. Then I downloaded some existing plugins (which you can find here) and decompiled them (You can do that with either DevTools or here) and looked through their code. Saw the basics.

I started by copying and pasting bits of code from other plugins, then I memorized how to use those pieces of code to use on my own (parts of the pocketmine api). If you want to learn the PocketMine API, you can look through the GitHub repo and find all the source code, how everything works, etc. That's how I got where I am now. I can make decent plugins I think, lol.

8. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    As a matter of fact, it's easier if you learn the basics of Java before learning the basics of PHP. Basic Java tutorials cover classes slightly while basic PHP tutorials don't.

I don't recommend using tutorials. Instead, refer to php.net directly every time. Want to know what "for" means? Visit https://php.net/for. Want to know what "explode" does? Visit https://PHP.net/explode.

9. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    ok maybe not literally everything, but the most basic everything like what's OOP, or namespace, you dont need to know things like what's yield but you should know things that you will work with in the future or now

10. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    And first you have to know what things you will work with :facepalm:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.