1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Negative Item ID's?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by MC ATECH, Mar 4, 2018.

1. MC ATECH

MC ATECH Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    mcpeatech
    Hey all!
    I've recently found out that minecraft has ran out of ID's to give to items so in the new update they've decided to use negative ID's, what are your thoughts on this?

2. SalmonDE

SalmonDE Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    SalmonDE
    Does that, theoretically speaking, even make sense? I mean, if you go into the negative direction (signed integer), why not just use an unsigned integer?

MC ATECH likes this.
  3. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    Short thought: botch job.

Longer thoughts: they should have done the job properly with string IDs like PC has instead of this negatives mess. From my sources I've heard that this will indeed happen in the future, but not yet.

Block-items used to be all those items which had IDs 0-255. Since they can now have more than 256 blocks, they need somewhere else to register new block-items. The negative IDs thing is a hack specifically for block-items.

HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  4. MC ATECH

MC ATECH Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    mcpeatech
    Maybe they're pushing the negative ids with the newer update just for the sake of it. Like the people at the top decide to not spend more time developing a better system but to just want to give the player more blocks to play around with instead.

5. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    This system does have a "short-on-time" feel to it indeed. It's very much unfinished.

6. MC ATECH

MC ATECH Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    mcpeatech
    They took a leaf out of Apples book! :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.