1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Solved How to rename Level.dat file

Discussion in 'Help' started by StuntzCo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

how do i rename a level I've exhausted all my options I've even opened it up with a text editor and renamed the level inside level.dat not even that worked I've tried fix name command with the many world plugin that didnt work either? any ideas ? Am i just a total noob again (answer = yes yes you are)

2. EdwardHamHam

EdwardHamHam Skeleton

GitHub:
    edwardhamham
    Well I'm afraid that the level.dat file's name can not be changed from "level.dat" otherwise the world won't load at all. If you want to change the name of a world, than you should be able to just by renaming the world save folder.

StuntzCo likes this.
  3. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

ok heres my problem i renamed my world folder to Server-Lobby but everytime i stop my server it says unloading level apple copy 2 because for some stupid reason i named it apple copy 2 so i opened up the level.dat file and found where it said LevelName apple copy 2
    and i changed it to LevelName Server-Lobby

and even that didnt change it instead now my level.dat has no level name and i cant add it and when my server stops it says unloading world " "

4. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

which is extremely annoying considering a lot of command use the world name which my world no longer has a F******** name (that word was firetruck u dirty minded noodle)

5. HimbeersaftLP

HimbeersaftLP Fish

GitHub:
    HimbeersaftLP
    No no no, NEVER do that

Step 1: Turn off server
    Step 2: Rename the folder to the name you want
    Step: 3: Use an NBT EDITOR (NO text editor) to change the levelname in the level.dat file
    REMEMBER: The folder name and the name i the level.dat must be the EXACT SAME name.
    Step 4: Start your server

Possible NBT editors:
    http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/NBT_format#Software

L3ice, Awzaw and Sandertv like this.
  6. Sandertv

Sandertv Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    Sandertv
    There are in fact some plugins like ManyWorlds by @aliuly that can fix the level.dat name of a world. You could change the folder name and fix the level.dat name after that using ManyWorlds.

HimbeersaftLP likes this.
  7. SkySeven

SkySeven Baby Zombie

GitHub:
    SkySevenMC
  8. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

the freaking problem is i already used a text editor and changed it so my level.dat lost all its data its practically empty somehow my world loads though but it doesnt have a name now only the folder does so when i use the fixname feature in the many worlds plugin i cant chose the world becuaes it doesnt have A FREAKING NAME

9. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    I think the level.dat can be regenerated

10. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

how so just delete it and a new one will appear whe i restart the server

11. robske_110 (Tim)

robske_110 (Tim) Wither Skeleton Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    robske110
    just move it outside the folder. If it doesn't regenerate you still have your old (possibly not unrecoverably) corrupted level.dat

12. StuntzCo

StuntzCo Baby Zombie

I tried it it didn't work and i couldn't use my old.dat but luckily i had a corrupted backup too lol so i just replaced one broken file for another and it kinda works

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.