1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Grumpy Admins, Pushing people away. Happiness and hugs needed.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gold, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Gold

Gold Silverfish

GitHub:
    goldcodes
    So a few weeks ago I needed help with a plugin. I was bamboozled when the admins got mad with me not to mention (SOFe) He was nice at first.... But then I think he got annoyed at me (I am sorry for annoying you). But It seems like no admin wants to help and they just shoo you away. Just like ZakousseMC says in his signature.

I don't want this to be taken offensively but you can't be rude and annoyed to newcomers. It would be nice if there was a humble welcoming.

I would like to thank The @Sites4Code Team for making an amazing tutorial for beginners, It seems like they want to help... The link to the site is here
    Screenshot 2017-01-03 at 4.54.32 PM.png
    You don't see a plugin tutorial for anything really.... This is amazing.... I would also like to mention that there needs to be more info on coding (or learning how to code) in the resources forum.

If you need to learn coding (so you don't get shooed and humiliated) here is a quick list
    Credit:
    Also like @Primus said
    Remember I was not trying to get people upset I'm just stating what needs to be stated, Hopefully you guys understand where I'm coming from.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. Primus

Primus Zombie Pigman

We are mad because many of people are asking basic PHP questions while their answers are all over the internet. And about those tutorials - Yea good for beginners. But the explanation is horrible. In short: We don't learn reading just because we want to learn an each letter. Ohh, and best way to learn is failing!

3. corytortoise

corytortoise Skeleton

GitHub:
    corytortoise
    I suggest adding php.net, it's pretty useful. To me, this post by Intyre sums it up pretty well for beginners.

About your complaints, the admins try their best. Keep in mind that they do a lot of things for free, often without any thanks, all for your own benefit.

4. Gold

Gold Silverfish

GitHub:
    goldcodes
    Ahh I am such an Idiot, They do a lot for the benefit of us. They do need thanks.... I hope they don't hate me now....
    THANK YOU @STAFF

5. xBeastMode

xBeastMode Shog Chips

There is no better way to learn PHP than to read the official docs. I get mad when someone tells noobs to go to codecademy.com instead of PHP.net, c'mon people!!! :mad:

6. Gold

Gold Silverfish

GitHub:
    goldcodes
    Agreed.... Never learned anything there lol. post edited....
    Only reason I put them there is because they have a wide variety of courses

7. HBIDamian

HBIDamian HBIDamian Staff Member

GitHub:
    HBIDamian
    The way I learnt, is by
    • looking at the api
    • taking apart a plugin, and putting it back together again
    • Having a look at examples of other people's questions compared to my own.
    Its easy.

Also, like stated above, php.net is a handy website too!

8. jerryzooyoyo

jerryzooyoyo Silverfish

GitHub:
    jerryzooyoyo
    Well, many people were mad because someone just kept questioning. And most of the questions are written without second thinking. ( How to get my plugin to work? Why my server crashed? blablabla.) Indeed, this forum is not good for some newbies who are questioning without second thinking. The fact is, everyone in the forum is nice and likes to help others. But some messages really make people unhappy.

I am not good in developing plugins. I spend a lot of time learning history, geography, civics, and Chinese. My school doesn't have any class about coding. I speak bad English and have lots of mistakes of grammar. But those things never make other people angry on me. The more simple questions you have asked, the more problems you will face.

9. Awzaw

Awzaw Zombie Pigman Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    awzaw
    Try posting a question on StackOverflow which already has an answer somewhere! I think staff here are doing great job, and even try to take the time to explain things to people who often don't have the knowledge to understand the answer... but it is very frustrating for them when people don't do their research before posting, and it all eats into the little time they can devote to the important stuff. Just think twice before posting, and keep in mind that you should avoid taking up their time unnecessarily - and that includes posting misleading information that they then need to check/correct/remove.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.