1. The forums will be archived and moved to a read only mode in about 2 weeks (mid march).

Suggestion Discord

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by InspectorGadget, Nov 22, 2016.

?

Discord or IRC?

1. Discord

66.7%
  2. IRC

33.3%
  1. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget Zombie Pigman

GitHub:
    InspectorGadget
    Hi PMMP Team! I have noticed that you guys went with the IRC chat. I would like to suggest Discord because people do have trouble getting into the IRC chat and not all will have access there. Discord is even more convenient when it comes for chat, in chat roles and voice calls!
    People can register quickly and join with just a link generated by your group chat! We can start advertising the link everywhere instead of IRC chat. If any help needed, im ready to assist
    Thanks
    IG

2. KnownUnown

KnownUnown Spider Jockey Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    knownunown
    While IRC is spartan, it works for PM. It's text only interface helps to cut down spam, and no registration is required - you simply can use webchat (link is here). Roles and administration is provided with ChanServ and flags. Voice calls are nice, but not really _required_ for support. It's not that I don't like Discord, I think it's a great service, but I don't find it necessary for PMMP.

3. Tux

Tux Silverfish

GitHub:
    minecrafter
    IRC works perfectly fine, in my opinion. Here's some reasons why Discord is not ideal:
    • There are also many (and may I say, a lot more) convenient solutions for IRC.
    • Most of the project's team members already use IRC.
    • Chat roles are also supported with IRC.
    • The ability to do voice calls is rather dubious, in my opinion. It's a support community, which doesn't lend itself to voice.
    • Discord is a hosted, for-profit service that runs in large part on closed-source software. Personally, this doesn't pose too many issues to me, but for others this is a problem.

4. Dog2puppy

Dog2puppy Slime

GitHub:
    colesquared
    Here's my simple answer: I don't like discord. I prefer IRC because we're all famiier with it, and it fits pocketmine.

5. SOFe

SOFe Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team Poggit Admin

GitHub:
    sof3
    Need a poll here?

6. Dog2puppy

Dog2puppy Slime

GitHub:
    colesquared
    If there is a poll, I hope Irc wins.

7. InspectorGadget

GitHub:
    InspectorGadget
    why dont u like Discord? Its way easy to setup..

8. InspectorGadget

GitHub:
    InspectorGadget
    The problem with IRC is, if we use it from an IRC client. We encounter a lot of issues connecting #pmmp.. I did encounter it and thought would suggest PMMP Team to move there coz its even more convenient.

9. KnownUnown

KnownUnown Spider Jockey Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    knownunown
    Objectively, IRC is easier to set up. Discord is only convenient when you have an account, and even then, it bombards you with features you may or may not need. IRC presents you with 4 simple things: channels, a user list, an input box, and a chat buffer.

Step 1: go to webchat.freenode.net
    Step 2: fill in the Nickname box with your desired nickname and the Channels box with "#pmmp".
    Step 3: Click "connect".
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: Profit!!!

10. Tux

Tux Silverfish

GitHub:
    minecrafter
    The steps involved in connecting to a Discord "server" (sorry, I need to laugh for a bit because they're not servers) are roughly the equivalent to connecting to the freenode IRC server and joining the #pmmp channel.

Oh, wait... how about a web chat link to our channel? All you have to do now is to put in your name.

11. InspectorGadget

GitHub:
    InspectorGadget
    Profit? someone could use your nickname and get u banned!

12. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    I started a poll in this thread. Note that this poll is only for reflecting public opinion. It is not a referendum. The team reserves the right to final decision what to use.

Ever heard of NickServ?

13. InspectorGadget

GitHub:
    InspectorGadget
    yes, i do

14. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    Well it boils down to not much people in this age willing to do /msg NickServ REGISTER pwd email
    they rather have that box where you type in your email and password

same goes to perm management
    most rather just tick that perm off some gui dohicky
    then /msg ChanServ (oops gotten rusty on irc ever since i lost my bouncer)

15. SOFe

GitHub:
    sof3
    How does permission management relate to the users?

16. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Moderator Staff Member

GitHub:
    Thunder33345
    just an example also that why they prefer over discord (if they want to make a "server") i suppose

17. HBIDamian

HBIDamian HBIDamian Staff Member

GitHub:
    HBIDamian
    I would really say IRC.
    There you can be in control a bit more...

18. dktapps

dktapps Administrator Staff Member PMMP Team

GitHub:
    dktapps
    I might also mention that the team don't work full time on PocketMine and we're not always available. Catching up with voice messages: nah, I'm good, having to pay for O2 voicemail I don't use is bad enough thanks. IRC is far more convenient: drop in, ask your question, someone will reply when they see it provided it's a reasonable question and we have answers.

19. HBIDamian

HBIDamian HBIDamian Staff Member

GitHub:
    HBIDamian
    For those who DON'T know what O2 is, its a British Cell Phone provider. :)

20. Jack Noordhuis

Jack Noordhuis Zombie Pigman Poggit Reviewer

GitHub:
    JackNoordhuis
    Discord doesn't have voice messages, it has a chat room service where you talk to people live, it has separate chat rooms as well. Additionally, it has some moderation tools built in that allow you to create groups and set permissions for each group as well as permissions for individual users.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.